Recorder boots but no picture

vbimport

I have a Panasonic DMR-XW-350 recorder, (which is not listed in the drop down menu), and when it boots it does not show any television channels but will play a pre-recorded DVD. It shows “U73” on the display. Can anyone explain what U73 means?

No HDMI connected?
Did you read the manual?

Have you read the manual? If you don’t have one, here’s a link to where to get it: http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?productID=7247

Thanks for the input guys. Yep have got and read the manual. Also it is connected with an HMDI cable from the recorder to a near new Samsung LCD TV. The connections are as follows:

Roof aerial ==> wall socket ==> VCR Recorder ==> Panasonic Recorder ==> TV. The picture through the Rf input to the TV is perfect.

The Panasonic recorder has an optical cable output to amplifier surround sound, and an HMDI cable to TV for picture.

The fault is not 100% there all the time, but occurs about 9 out of 10 times you turn it on. It reads “Hello” and after it gets to the point where where the display reads “HMDI”, instead of displaying channel info it shows “U73” and then nothing works on the remote except the controls to playback a pre-recorded DVD movie. It’s only about 4 months old and hasn’t done a lot of recording.

Is there an option to connect to the set by component cables? I just looked at the manual on line and u73 is some sort of HDMI related error.

Thnx olyteddy for answering my original question re meaning of U73 error. Don’t know why I missed it in the manual earlier. Yes there is a component connection and will try that. Point is the HDMI connection has worked perfectly for 4 months, so the equipment is HDMI compatible. Also I have a friend with the same Samsung LCD TV and he has had a Panasonic DMR-XW300 connected to the TV with an HDMI cable and it’s worked flawlessly for over a year now. If component works will take HDMI cable back to the GGs and try new cable.

Update. Unfortunately changing HDMI cables didn’t work. I suspected it wouldn’t because if the HDMI cable was faulty it wouldn’t have been able to play a pre-recorded DVD movie to the TV, which it can do.

It was in one of the appendixes. I probably wouldn’t have seen it except that the PDF manual is searchable.

Correction re:

Unfortunately changing HDMI cables didn’t work. I suspected it wouldn’t because if the HDMI cable was faulty it wouldn’t have been able to play a pre-recorded DVD movie to the TV, which it can do.

This statement is not totally correct. I had borrowed my friend’s HDMI cable, and connected it while the machine was still on, and it originally hadn’t worked. However, I had then switched the machine off and forgotten about it. When I switched it on again some time later, it took an extra long time to boot, where the display kept saying: “Please wait”. Finally it turned on and worked properly using my friend’s HDMI cable which was a different brand to mine. I think I should have had the machine turned off when I changed the cable, since when it re-booted it seemed to re-set something.

My friend then told me when he used my original HDMI cable to connect his Panasonic, it worked initially, but when he moved the cable just slightly, the picture switched off. If he moved it again the picture came back. He did this several times with the same result. So obviously the cable was faulty.

I then took my original cable back to the GGs, and they replaced it with a Platinum HDMI cable, ( which was almost double the price of my original).

That was today, and my machine has worked fine since then, and this seems to have fixed the problem. However, before I can be absolutely sure, I’ll give it a few days of operation.

As a point of interest, my original cable was “gold” quality plugs and the cable itself was made of a soft silicone type of material. Ironically my friend’s cable was a cheaper “silver” quality plugs, and a blue less flexible cable,

Thanks for all the input guys. I was on the point of taking it in for repairs, but all going well, I won’t need to do this now.

Cheers Bernie (Poppabear) :smiley:

A good source for good cables at a fair price is monoprice.com.

Thanks for the info olyteddy.

A good source for good cables at a fair price is monoprice.com.

It’s always handy to know good sources, so I’ll file that away for future reference when buying cables.

Cheers Poppa Bear :bigsmile: