Record multiple VHS to DVD?

Have a DMR-EA38V Panasonic dvd/vcr recorder combo, and want to know if I can record multiple VHS tapes onto DVD. ie I have 3 vhs tapes, one 20 min, etc. all 3 totaling 1 40 min. Do I have to only record 1 vhs per dvd or can I somehow record all 3 vhs onto the 1 dvd as I don’t want to record only 1 vhs per dvd as they in total don’t equal 2 hrs of SP.

Any help greatly appreciated.

You can do this in two ways:

a) If you’re familiar with computers and you want to spend some time for editing your videos to your PC, you can record each VHS tape in a DVD using your DVD recorder and then import that video to your PC. You better use a rewritable disc so that you can use it again. In this case, I would use the best quality the DVD recorder can offer. You can do this for all VHS tapes. Then using an DVD authoring program in your PC you can make a single DVD out of all video files, nice menus etc.

b) If you want something simple, easy and quick, you can record all VHS tapes sequentially, one after the other, in your DVD recorder in SP mode (2 hours recording). Just stop/pause the recording process and continue with the next tape.

And welcome to this forum :wink:

As yyy said you will need to push STOP after each tape. Pushing STOP creates a separate title/thumbnail.
I was a little confused by your time, you said "all 3 totaling 1 40 min."
If the three totaled 140 minute you’d not be able to fit that on one standard DVD using SP(SP only holds 2hrs or 120 minutes). If you meant all 3 would total 40 minutes then you could use XP which will give you [I]slightly[/I] better PQ than SP and holds up to 1hr/DVD.

[QUOTE=jjeff;2284090]As yyy said you will need to push STOP after each tape. Pushing STOP creates a separate title/thumbnail.
I was a little confused by your time, you said "[B]all 3 totaling 1 40 min[/B]."
If the three totaled 140 minute you’d not be able to fit that on one standard DVD using SP(SP only holds 2hrs or 120 minutes). If you meant all 3 would total 40 minutes then you could use XP which will give you [I]slightly[/I] better PQ than SP and holds up to 1hr/DVD.[/QUOTE]

What I understood was 1 hour and 40 minutes, and my answer was based on this :wink: Anyway, you have to find out from your dvd recorder manual the modes supported and the corresponding durations. It is not the same for all recorders. Pick the higher quality mode for the duration you want. I wouldn’t suggest any lower quality than SP (2 hours) though…

yyy, you’re probably right about the 1hr 40 minutes, personally I would type that as 1:40 but I can see the other way too. That would fit on a standard disc in the SP mode. A DVDR like the EA-38 has 1,2,4,6 and 8hrs/disc for preset speeds and using FR you can fit anywhere between 1 and 8hrs to fill up the disc. I’m not sure if you can use FR for dubbing between VHS and DVD though, the older Pannys you could but the EA-38v is a '08/'09 model and lacks some of the features of the older ES series Panasonic recorders.

:iagree: :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if you can use FR for dubbing between VHS and DVD though, the older Pannys you could but the EA-38v is a '08/'09 model and lacks some of the features of the older ES series Panasonic recorders.

Maybe the owner could enlighten us here :wink:

Thanks for the help and the welcome, I work on Final Cut Pro normally but I prefer to transfer my analog stuff straight to DV, then to FCP, as it’s way less compressed.

But I also want to transfer lots of my vhs material both 2 hrs and sometimes 2 or more short vhs pieces to one SP dvd more for archive purposes and so your 2nd method is more what I was curious about. It’s probably in the manual but I went over and couldn’t really distinguish it from the other features.

I assume that pausing the recording process allows me to take out one VHS and insert another one.

Again, thanks