Reconfiguring a keyboard

I’m just wondering how you reconfigure a computer keyboard.
The keypads have swapped functions so @ is now " and \ is now in the place of the hash bar. oh and pound sign has been replaced by #. There presumably is a straightforward way of realligning things isn’t there?

This is a regional setting problem. Open Control Panel->Regional and Language Options->Languages Tab->Details… and change your default input langauge from UK to US (or vice versa). You may need your windows install disk if this langauge is not already installed.

Slainte

midders

Not so straightforward. You have to hack the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout or you can use one of the freeware programs like http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/ or Keytweak.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2465883]Not so straightforward. You have to hack the registry[/QUOTE]
I disagree; unless you’re using a custom-made keyboard which I doubt, then one of the pre-defined keyboard layouts will suffice.

I’m currently using a Microsoft Basic keyboard with US-English layout; the differences between this keyboard and a UK-English one include: @ and " swapped, # instead of poundsign etc.

If this has just happened, you should be able to solve it by doing a [B]System Restore. [/B]

Click the [B]Start[/B] button and open the list of [B]Programs[/B]…find [B]Accessories[/B] > [B]System Tools[/B] > [B]System Restore[/B]. Just follow the instructions from this point…don´t go too far back, but only to say a day before the keyboard went crazy.

[QUOTE=midders;2466218]I disagree; unless you’re using a custom-made keyboard which I doubt, then one of the pre-defined keyboard layouts will suffice.

I’m currently using a Microsoft Basic keyboard with US-English layout; the differences between this keyboard and a UK-English one include: @ and " swapped, # instead of poundsign etc.[/QUOTE]

My answer was for the general question “how do you reconfigure a keyboard”.