Recommended software for ripping my DVD’s/CD’s to NAS

I had a few of questions that I wanted to run by the more experienced Home Theater group to help point me in the right direction.

I have a large cabinet full of DVD movies/music that my wife wants me to rip to my NAS so the cabinet can go away. I would like to rip the DVD’s with sub-titles and after ripping plan on storing the DVD’s in a USB Dacal CD Libraries so you can still see the extras:

1. What software do you use/recommend for ripping DVD’s (with subtitles) and CD’s?

2. What format do you recommend; they will be played back on a 55” inch HD LCD, PC and possibly Android Smart Phone, (streaming). I don’t want to rip full size as I have a lot of DVD’s and only so much disk space plus a pretty slow NAS. :frowning:

3. What do you recommend/are you using for a frontend? I purchased GameEx, but it is really slow to update over the LAN. I subscribe to Netflix so a NF friendly frontend would be cool.

4. What software you use/recommend for playback?

My environment consists of a Dell PC with an Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP as a HTPC that is connected to the TV via HDMI, (DVI–>HDMI cable --> Pioneer VSX-819h receiver In --> HDMI TV/SAT out --> to TV HDMI port). The PC is running Windows XP Pro SP3.

The PC is connected to my Network via PC --> CAT5E --> 10/100/1000 switch --> Terastation.

I know I could install something like the Twonky Media Server on the NAS, but I’m not sure it that would be a good idea with a separate frontend running on the HTPC.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

I use MakeMKV (mostly) to rip, Media Player Classic HC to play. My HTPC is an Acer Revo (ION chipset) and I have no problem streaming DVD across the network (currently my storage drives are connected by USB to an ancient laptop). I don’t bother to compress as MKV can hold MPEG2 just fine, including multiple audio and subtitles. I believe the only time you’d need a media server program is if you’re streaming to a device that can’t handle the format the vid was stored in.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve never heard of MakeMKV, but I’ll take a look at it. My wife :bow: wants me to get all our DVD’s ripped to the NAS by end of February, so I’ve got to get started soon. :bigsmile:

Gordon