Recommended Operating System for Gammming

Hi, Im trying to build my first computer I was wondering what operating system you guys/gals recommend? Im trying to stay away from vista, so any info would be greatley appreciated! Thank you’all for your time. -j- O’ya this computer is mainly for gamming thanks all!

Mainly for gamming? I assume you mean gaming? :slight_smile:

If you don’t want Vista, and you want to play most modern games, then your only real choice is Windows XP. Be aware that DX10 only works on Vista, but very few games require DX10 exclusively yet, because the number of XP gamers is so large.

Stay away from XP 64bit, as there simply isn’t good enough driver support for that version of XP.

[quote=Kerry56;2136264]Mainly for gamming? I assume you mean gaming? :slight_smile:

If you don’t want Vista, and you want to play most modern games, then your only real choice is Windows XP. Be aware that DX10 only works on Vista, but very few games require DX10 exclusively yet, because the number of XP gamers is so large.

Stay away from XP 64bit, as there simply isn’t good enough driver support for that version of XP.[/quote]

Older games that aren’t DX10, Bio Shock for example, if I have Vista will it play? And do you recomend Vista? Cause I hear alot of complaits about Vista. I thoght alot of games won’t play on Vista. If yoou recomend Vista which OS should I go with and what SP pack, also 32 or 64 bit. Thanks for the Info!

[QUOTE=kirdog69;2136274]Older games that aren’t DX10, Bio Shock for example, if I have Vista will it play? And do you recomend Vista? Cause I hear alot of complaits about Vista. I thoght alot of games won’t play on Vista. If yoou recomend Vista which OS should I go with and what SP pack, also 32 or 64 bit. Thanks for the Info![/QUOTE]

So you were going to go with Vista if I am inferring from your comments in the beginning? Some of those Vista complaints are valid do to hardware and software drivers not liking or wasn’t made for Vista. Vista only current has SP1 and XP has SP3. I would recommend only going with 32 bit as 64 drivers are far and few in between. If you don’t need all the bells and whistle stick with XP pro SP3 32bit. Vista at this point and time is too expensive and give very little bang for the buck that XP pro sp3 already does.

Vista will play games designed for DX9 and XP just fine. You won’t have problems in that regard.

And the drivers for Visa have improved to the point that gaming is virtually identical to the experience in XP. It was slower in the beginning.

If you already have a copy of XP that you can use in your new computer, I’d say go ahead and use it, just install SP3 and newer updates and you’ll be set as far as the operating system.

If you are buying a new operating system for a new computer, then I would advise getting Vista 64 bit. I disagree about driver availability on new equipment…it has improved immeasurably since the introduction of the operating system. If you have older equipment, especially some peripherals like printers, that is where you will run into some issues with Vista 64. On a new build, I don’t think you will have problems with drivers for the main computer.

The main advantage to a 64 bit operating system is the amount of ram that you can access. A 32bit OS will utilize less than 4gb, due to overhead. If you don’t foresee putting that much ram in your system, ever, then stick with the 32bit systems.