Recommended DVD Writer

vbimport

Have been a pioneer fan for years now and i am looking to upgrade !

My current drives are Pioneer 112d - Samsung SH203N.
My Pioneer is one of the faulty drives that cannot read CD’s also its silver and doesn’t go with my new black case so this is the drive i am going to (sadly) replace.

Havent heard of any good reviews on the latest Pioneer (218) so i want to change brand.
Exellent DVD-R + DVD+DL writing quality is required.
So the question is which drive do i go for ?

[QUOTE=xaudiox;2493299]Have been a pioneer fan for years now and i am looking to upgrade !

My current drives are Pioneer 112d - Samsung SH203N.
My Pioneer is one of the faulty drives that cannot read CD’s also its silver and doesn’t go with my new black case so this is the drive i am going to (sadly) replace.

Havent heard of any good reviews on the latest Pioneer (218) so i want to change brand.
Exellent DVD-R + DVD+DL writing quality is required.
So the question is which drive do i go for ?[/QUOTE]
From the drives in my sig I’d pick the iHAS324 A (not Y) for that combination of media.

Interesting choice, based on these reviews i was tempted to go for the Optaric 7240s… http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/DVD-Writers/
Just read the review for the iHAS324 , it does seem to fit the bill.
Will read some more reviews on Myce before making my decision.
Thanks for the heads up !

[QUOTE=xaudiox;2493485]Interesting choice, based on these reviews i was tempted to go for the Optaric 7240s… http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/DVD-Writers/
Just read the review for the iHAS324 , it does seem to fit the bill.
Will read some more reviews on Myce before making my decision.
Thanks for the heads up ![/QUOTE]
You’re welcome :flower:.
Both drives have been very capable SL burners, but the 7240 I purchased was giving me very uneven results with DL’s. The 7240 and 324A were pretty closely matched with MKM003’s, but other DL MID’s have faired better in the 324A. To be fair, I bought a 7241 to see if I might have been stuck with a weak 7240. Same results. The 324A has been consistently better with non-verb DL’s than the 7240/1 for me. The 324A is also the first Lite-on in a while to be capable of returning 8X DL quality scanning and jitter results that are in line with what a BenQ reports. Last-gen iHAS had serious problems reporting believable DL jitter results. Of course, the NEC Optiarc is not especially useful in the quality scanning department ;). Here’s a recent 8X iHAS324A MKM003 burn. PIE’s are very good, and PIF’s are among the best I’ve seen :). Take a look here, too http://club.myce.com/f86/sony-optiarc-ad-7240s-power-calibration-error-dual-layer-burns-only-306893/#post2484081

Burned at 8X w/ iHAS324 A

Thats a tidy burn :wink:
Ive binned the idea of the optaric as people are saying the bezel is not black but rather a very dark grey .
Regarding the liteon, been looking at the new ihas524 (reviewed on this site), but i have no way of definatly getting the “A” version, I will not be using the drive for scanning I just want a decent burner.
Would the “y” (NEC chipset) make much of a difference in burn quality if i ended up with one ?

[QUOTE=xaudiox;2494153]Thats a tidy burn :wink:
Ive binned the idea of the optaric as people are saying the bezel is not black but rather a very dark grey .
Regarding the liteon, been looking at the new ihas524 (reviewed on this site), but i have no way of definatly getting the “A” version, I will not be using the drive for scanning I just want a decent burner.
Would the “y” (NEC chipset) make much of a difference in burn quality if i ended up with one ?[/QUOTE]
I’ve not seen any reports of 524’s being rebadged Optiarcs, like the 324 and 424. Did I miss it? They aren’t even being sold here in the US or listed on the US Lite-on website. Anyone in Europe seen re-badged 524’s? True about the bezel. Lite-on’s is darker.

Never seen “Y” 524 too, but some Asus are rebadged 524, and sold in Europe (easier to find than Lite-on branded drives). To recognise them, check for smart erase or “e-hammer” function, as usual :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2495013]Never seen “Y” 524 too, but some Asus are rebadged 524, and sold in Europe (easier to find than Lite-on branded drives). To recognise them, check for smart erase or “e-hammer” function, as usual :)[/QUOTE]
Thanks :flower:. Sounds like the 524 would be a good choice for you, xaudiox. I have cross-flashed my 324 to a 524 to test the firmware, and the burns have been at least as nice as those I was getting as a 324. I’d say grab that bad boy while you still can :D. Incidentally, the “Y” chipset is just another way of saying re-badged Optiarc . If you get a Y model of the 124/224/324/424, you have an Optiarc drive with the name Lite-on painted on the bezel and none of the Lite-on features like smart-erase or smart-burn or jitter scanning :(.
Have fun with the 524 and let us know how it treats you if you pick one up :).

Hum, in fact I was mistaken, there is no Asus that are rebadged 524, but Asus DRW-24B1LT is a rebadged 424, that can be tweaked into 524 (labeltag works), and maybe one day crossflashed into 624 :wink:

[QUOTE=Lithium466;2495154]Hum, in fact I was mistaken, there is no Asus that are rebadged 524, but Asus DRW-24B1LT is a rebadged 424, that can be tweaked into 524 (labeltag works), and maybe one day crossflashed into 624 ;)[/QUOTE]
The 24B1LT’s aren’t available over here that I’ve seen, either :(. Love to get my hands on a 24X Lite-on I could flash to a 524/624 with working Labeltag. Wouldn’t need to use it that much, but would be fun to play with ;). Have you seen mention of anyone successfully using labeltag with a 424 cross-flashed to 524?

Then no choice to get a Lite-on : buy a Plextor PX-880SA :cool:
Maybe don’t flash it to 524/624, Plextor firmware seemed nice…

Have you seen mention of anyone successfully using labeltag with a 424 cross-flashed to 524?

I don’t know if all 424 have MT1879LE chipset :confused:
Have a look here http://club.myce.com/f44/lite-ihas524-results-discussion-304369/index5.html
lot of crossflashing !

If the drive has LightScribe, then it should have the MT1879LE chipset, which should include the iHAS224 A as well. The non-LS drives have MT1879E chipsets.