Recommended DVD Burner and Media

vbimport

Ok I am veerrry new to burning dvds and, frankly, to forums of any type. So if my question seems stupid, sorry! :bigsmile: Also warning ahead of time… this involves a lot of backstory before I get to the actual questions.

I have a gateway, relatively new, with an internal dvd burner. I’m sorry I can’t get much more specific than that as I don’t really know enough about computer to know what model I have or anything. I am running off of Windows VISTA.

My issue is that most of the movies I burn have some kinda of issue or another. I don’t know if it is the burner, the DVDs themselves, or the AVI to DVD converter I am using. I started off using the Xilisoft AVI to DVD converter and Maxell DVD +R 1-16X speed discs. They played fine on both of my home DVD players, but the audio skipped on my PS2 (which is what I use in my bedroom) I ran out of discs so I got Fujifilm DVD -R. At the same time I also got Ulead DVD MovieFactory 6.0 Plus. I don’t seem to have a problem with the skipping audio anymore, but now some of the movies will occasionally get pixalated (sorry if spelling is off… I suck at spelling :p)
It won’t be for the whole movie, or even most of it. Just often enough to be annoying.

So, after all of that, my questions are:

What is the best brand DVD +R?

Should I continue to use my stock burner, or should I see about getting an external one? I’ve heard good things about the Sony DRX- 840U. Any thought on that would be appreciated.

Also if anyone has any thought or recommendations on the AVI to DVD converter? I do like the MovieFactory. It’s menu editing options are awesome. Should I stick with it or is there something better for the actual conversion and burning that still has menu editing options at least equal to MovieFactory’s?

Your problems may stem from relatively poor media. I suggest getting Verbatim 16x disks. They are some of the most consistent media available.

If you like the Ulead program, I see no overwhelming need to change.

As far as the burner goes, you can download a program called Nero Info Tool (free) and it will tell us a great deal about the burner you have installed now. http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2084101]Your problems may stem from relatively poor media. I suggest getting Verbatim 16x disks. They are some of the most consistent media available.

If you like the Ulead program, I see no overwhelming need to change.

As far as the burner goes, you can download a program called Nero Info Tool (free) and it will tell us a great deal about the burner you have installed now. http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html[/QUOTE]

Wow thanks for the quick response. I’ll give the Verbatim disks a try the next time I go to the store and post if it makes a difference or not.

also try burning your Maxell at half the rated speed this could help with the pixelation you are seeing