Recommended Dual Layer DVD Burners

vbimport

Hi All,

Was hoping you fine people could point me in the right direction.

Could you please recommend the best dual layer dvd burner out on the market right now? Quality/accuracy being most important.

Will mainly be used for DVD backups, am using Verbatim DVD+R DL media at present, with a NEC Optiarc AD5170A drive, but have had some play back issues (jumping/stuttering towards the end of the film) so thought id try a new drive.

Many Thanks…

[QUOTE=Jake Bullit;2042935]Hi All,

Was hoping you fine people could point me in the right direction.

Could you please recommend the best dual layer dvd burner out on the market right now? Quality/accuracy being most important.

Will mainly be used for DVD backups, am using Verbatim DVD+R DL media at present, with a NEC Optiarc AD5170A drive, but have had some play back issues (jumping/stuttering towards the end of the film) so thought id try a new drive.

Many Thanks…[/QUOTE]

Jumping/stuttering in dvd backups is result of burning to fast and or multitasking while burning causes burns to be improperly burned as well. Was those jumping/stuttering on the backup dvd or source dvd?? Have you updated your firmware as well? And what software are you using?

Burning speed is set to x2.4 with the dual layer media, and the firmware is up to date. Have been using 1ClickDVD copy Pro and AnyDVD, tried imgburn last night, but same results. The Jumping/stuttering occurs on the DVD backups, the source DVD’s all play fine. Multitasking, not much more than using the internet or having a download program running.

I always had good luck burning at 4x with Verbatim DL. But if you still want a recommendation on a new burner, I’d look at the Pioneer 215 if you want a SATA interface drive, or a Pioneer 115 if you need a regular IDE/PATA drive.

The Samsung 203 series is also recommended a lot around here. It is a good SATA interface burner. I have a 203B and the Pio 215 both, but haven’t burned any DL media lately.

Strange, my Optiarc 5170S does a great job with Verbies burned at 8x (that’s SL or 8x DL) - playback no problem :slight_smile:

I would second Kerry with the Sammy SH-S203B (SATA) or Pio 115(D) for PATA.

I had some problem with Verbatim x2.4 on second layer also.
I got some x8 made in Singapore and no more problem, so I would say, before replacing burner, try different disc.
If you can run Nero Speed on your burner (not all can run all tests), run test and see how many errors are on second layer.

I get lots of errors on both Single and Dual layer media when I run Nero quality test, but was informed that this is normal on NEC Optiarc drives, as they give unreliable results on quality scans, TRT scans normally come out ok though.

With the SATA Interface burners, can they plug into any free SATA port on the motherboard? have 2 unused ports on my ASUS K8V Deluxe board, the other 2 are used for the hard drives.

Hi,[quote=Jake Bullit;2043045]
With the SATA Interface burners, can they plug into any free SATA port on the motherboard? have 2 unused ports on my ASUS K8V Deluxe board, the other 2 are used for the hard drives.[/quote]No. Not with your motherboard. Both, the Sata controller integrated in the Via southbridge, and the additional Promise controller don’t support Sata optical drives properly.
If you want to go the Sata route, then install a Silicon Image based Sata controller card with Base BIOS (non-RAID) applied.
Otherwise stick with the classic Pata Interface.

Michael