Recommended (by me) external enclosure

http://www.dealsonic.com/neon5blnecch.html

I ran across this deal in the Hot Deals forum here at Cdfreaks, and immediately ordered two of them. I just received the order and installed a Pioneer 111 in one of the cases. Here is a burn at 16. I am so impressed, I just ordered two more (I have a LOT of old drives laying around).

On EDIT: Here’s a link to the thread in the Hot Deals forum:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/5-25-nec-chipset-enclosure-12-99-21-98-2-dealsonic-236983/

can this fit that enclosure and work pretty well??

sorry im new at all this and im desperate in need of a burner…
i dont know if this matters, but the burner’s interface seems to be SETA, and the enclosure says UATA, so i dont know if that works or not…

thanks.

I have one of my Sammy 203B’s in one of these cases but it works best plugged into an eSATA port (20x burns no problem) than a USB port > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817716048

alright, so will this setup work? The size/fit and compatability?
im guessing form factor of 5’’ is the same as the 5.25’’ SETA drives mentioned in the enclosure specs…

thanks for all the help so far, you guys have been great.

enclosure

DVD burner

thanks again.

[QUOTE=irjoe;1986863]alright, so will this setup work? The size/fit and compatability?
im guessing form factor of 5’’ is the same as the 5.25’’ SETA drives mentioned in the enclosure specs…

thanks for all the help so far, you guys have been great.

enclosure

DVD burner

thanks again.[/QUOTE]yes i just posted that. Very nice fast SATA drive. Do you have an eSATA port to plug it into?

[QUOTE=HenryNettles;1986645]http://www.dealsonic.com/neon5blnecch.html

I ran across this deal in the Hot Deals forum here at Cdfreaks, and immediately ordered two of them. I just received the order and installed a Pioneer 111 in one of the cases. Here is a burn at 16. I am so impressed, I just ordered two more (I have a LOT of old drives laying around).

On EDIT: Here’s a link to the thread in the Hot Deals forum:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f58/5-25-nec-chipset-enclosure-12-99-21-98-2-dealsonic-236983/[/QUOTE]

What hipset is used in this enclosures. Unfortunately it is not specified :sad: That should be the most interesing part of the enclosure.

[QUOTE=TM;1986908]What hipset is used in this enclosures. Unfortunately it is not specified :sad: That should be the most interesing part of the enclosure.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t agree more, which is why I included the link to the thread in the Hot Deals forum, where you can find that information.

[QUOTE=HenryNettles;1986916]I couldn’t agree more, which is why I included the link to the thread in the Hot Deals forum, where you can find that information.[/QUOTE]

Shame on me, I read only the page of the first link in your post not of the second one of the hot deals… :o

It seems I have to look for NEC USB Bridge cases, seems to be really great :slight_smile:

I dont have a eSATA port, but i will be using usb 2.0
is that fine/decent??

I’ll be placing the order as soon as i get this question answered.

thanks.

[QUOTE=irjoe;1986937]I dont have a eSATA port, but i will be using usb 2.0
is that fine/decent??

I’ll be placing the order as soon as i get this question answered.
[/QUOTE]

Sure USB is great, and if you have a new PC wit eSATA in the future you can also use eSATA and use your drive at max. speed if you want.

You see in my sig I use most of my burners in external enclosures since I’m specialized in small PCs :cool:

done!

thanks everyone

one more question… hahaha…

what about the enclosure mentioned in the original post? Does that work fine with the internal DVD burner i got? It seems like a good deal to just ignore

(will they also work for HDD’s as well?)

Are these enclosures stackable? It’d be nice to stack a few of these puppies up in a column to save desk space, but I can’t find info about whether they can be stacked or not.

[QUOTE=orocko;2028686]Are these enclosures stackable? It’d be nice to stack a few of these puppies up in a column to save desk space, but I can’t find info about whether they can be stacked or not.[/QUOTE]
I have a couple stacked without a problem. They’re not legos but they can stack decently.

Do these enclosures have rubber feet (or some type of feet) on the bottom? It’s hard to tell from the pics.

Would it be suitable to stack these 4 or 5 high?

Thanks for the info.

[QUOTE=orocko;2029226]Do these enclosures have rubber feet (or some type of feet) on the bottom? It’s hard to tell from the pics.

Would it be suitable to stack these 4 or 5 high?

Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]No feet on the bottom, completely flat. The two I have stack rather stably, don’t see that higher would be a problem. You could add some stickon rubber feet or use some adhesive to keep them lined up if necessary.

I put velcro on the bottom of mine cause I don’t want to put my hand behind it everytime I push a button to keep it from sliding. Bottom is slick & flat could use rubber feet the more expensive ones have this :iagree:

Hey guys
You can get the Little Black rubber feet at Radio Shack or Clear ones at Home Depot. H.D. also carries the ones like R.S does. They both are peel and stick. Work Great. They are about 5/8"square x 1/4" thick.

Thanks for posting this, I picked one up months ago knowing my previous motherboard’s (DFI CFX3200 ULi M1575 southbridge) USB performance wasn’t that great so I wasn’t expecting to take advantage of its high speed capability. Then I picked up a Biostar P35/ICH9 board and USB was up to snuff, I could read and write at 16X without a hiccup to this little enclosure. The burner used is a DW1655 BCGB. Now because I had unrelated issues with the Biostar, I am running a DFI board (DK P35-T2RS) which has the ICH9R southbridge, and it should exhibit similar USB throughput to the Biostar P35, but it’s back to its old behavior of petering out after 12X. Has anyone else experienced this? Does DFI not know how to get USB performance right? Both boards were running fresh XP SP3 installs with the latest chipset drivers.

[QUOTE=Delta Nine;2073856]Thanks for posting this, I picked one up months ago knowing my previous motherboard’s (DFI CFX3200 ULi M1575 southbridge) USB performance wasn’t that great so I wasn’t expecting to take advantage of its high speed capability. Then I picked up a Biostar P35/ICH9 board and USB was up to snuff, I could read and write at 16X without a hiccup to this little enclosure. The burner used is a DW1655 BCGB. Now because I had unrelated issues with the Biostar, I am running a DFI board (DK P35-T2RS) which has the ICH9R southbridge, and it should exhibit similar USB throughput to the Biostar P35, but it’s back to its old behavior of petering out after 12X. Has anyone else experienced this? Does DFI not know how to get USB performance right? Both boards were running fresh XP SP3 installs with the latest chipset drivers.[/QUOTE]From what I’ve read and person experience Benq 1655 and 1650s should limit out just above 12x in USB enclosure, due to not having external firmware(and not being UDMA4).