Recommendations for ipod burning

vbimport

I’m new to the forum and just bought an iPod classic. I’ve burned a few dvds for my iPod, but I’ve noticed all the different options - h264, mpeg4, etc. What do you folks recommend?

I also want to know if the closed captions can be removed, or are they on there by default?

Thanks in advance for any answers, I’ll be checking the users guide and other questions on the forum in the meantime.

Foulwx (foul weather)

Sorry, forgot to ask another question, and show how new I am to the ipod. Is there any way to advance the movie minutes ahead when viewing it on the ipod? I haven’t figured that out yet.

Thanks again,
foulwx

[QUOTE=foulwx;2118864]Sorry, forgot to ask another question, and show how new I am to the ipod. Is there any way to advance the movie minutes ahead when viewing it on the ipod? I haven’t figured that out yet.

Thanks again,
foulwx[/QUOTE]

Hold the right arrow down on the touch wheel.

[QUOTE=foulwx;2118861]I’m new to the forum and just bought an iPod classic. I’ve burned a few dvds for my iPod, but I’ve noticed all the different options - h264, mpeg4, etc. What do you folks recommend?

I also want to know if the closed captions can be removed, or are they on there by default?

Thanks in advance for any answers, I’ll be checking the users guide and other questions on the forum in the meantime.

Foulwx (foul weather)[/QUOTE]

I am no expert but have figured out some of it and had quite a bit of success i can pass on.
The closed captions are called subpictures in dvdfab, hit the green check mark at the top of dvdfab main window to get to the options menu. Go to “DVD - Steams - Subpicture” and select the “do not preselect any subpicture track”. I also prefer to go to the “General - Preview” and uncheck both of the playback options so the playback does not start every time.
As far as conversion settings go I start with the “ipod.h264-5.5G” profile which should work fine for most stuff. There has been some issues with the 29.97 fps framerate, some say to use the 23.976 fps option instead but the testing I have done show that all but the 29.97 one work fine. I am using 30 fps thinking more is better but really dont know. I like to use 2 pass encoding and up the volume to 150% because it volume degradates some in the process. I also have settled on 640 kbps Fixed bitrate and 640 x 480 resolution. It is a combination of bigger is better and will still fit on a regular CD burned in data mode if needed. May want to play on an iphone sometime so I made it bigger than needed for ipod. When done making changes hit the set a default button at the top and it will set your custom settings to the ipod.default profile. To get 640 x 480 on movies that are not in the 4:3 format you have to click on the advanced resolution settings button, click supported by device, click 640 x 480, and slide the resize slider all the way to the right over by Pan&Scan, then hit ok. Click on nothing else but ok in the conversion settings or it may reset what you just did. Now hit Start and come back in the morning, hehe.
I have used all of these with success on all but Sony movies that currently have the sound out of sync issue with the h264 conversion.
If anyone has any other helpful info please feel free to add or correct this. Hope it helps, gl.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try them soon.

F