Recommendations for Bluray Media in the UK

vbimport

Does anyone have any recommendations for Bluray media in the UK for use with a Liteon iHBS112-115.

I am not looking for the best speeds just something that will give good reliable burns and that will last well.

If you don’t mind paying a bit more than average, you could go for Panasonic BDR25 6 Speed. I get them in a 25 cake box from Seba Digital on Amazon for £39.99. Works out £1.60 each.

In independent tests they have come out well for longevity.

[QUOTE=SteveJC;2672139]If you don’t mind paying a bit more than average, you could go for Panasonic BDR25 6 Speed. I get them in a 25 cake box from Seba Digital on Amazon for £39.99. Works out £1.60 each.

In independent tests they have come out well for longevity.[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for that, it’s not a silly price is it.

I may get some unless someone else comes up with a better idea.

I’ll be interested too in what other people say.

I had a bad experience with Ritek discs, as did many other people on this site. After 2 to 3 years most were unreadable.

Because of that I don’t mind paying some premium for better longevity. There are, of course, no guarantees, and the media is too young to have been properly tested in the real world. But I’ve searched around extensively on this site and the internet generally to try to find out what is best. More often than not, Panasonic appears to be the answer.

They are tested by the TUV in Germany for quality and longevity: http://www.tuvdotcom.com/quality_marks/0000000050?locale=en

They also came out best in an independent French test:

Sony also came out fairly well in the French test - but not all Sony discs are the same. Many are made by other manufactures and just branded as Sony. Who knows how long they will last?

Just for the record - I have no links to Panasonic whatsoever. If someone can show me a cheaper disc that is likely to last as long, I’d gladly switch.

Picked up some LM-BRS2MWE25 to replace the disappointing FTI Falcon Pro 4xPlus.

Will be posting some scans.

[QUOTE=JohnWB;2672141]Thanks very much for that, it’s not a silly price is it.

I may get some unless someone else comes up with a better idea.[/QUOTE]

You can get them cheaper here.

The problem in the UK is that Blu-ray media is still quite expensive compared to the US, as you’ve probably noticed, and Verbatim is just too dear here ATM IMO.

deanwitty tells me these Panasonics are hard to beat, to the point that some sites even rank them above Verbatim.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2672261]You can get them cheaper here.

The problem in the UK is that Blu-ray media is still quite expensive compared to the US, as you’ve probably noticed, and Verbatim is just too dear here ATM IMO.

deanwitty tells me these Panasonics are hard to beat, to the point that some sites even rank them above Verbatim.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Wombler, thats a great price, much appreciated.

[QUOTE=JohnWB;2672310]Thanks for that Wombler, thats a great price, much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

No problem and I’m glad that was of some use to you.

They’re very quick as I’ve just had some delivered and you can have them sent via Royal Mail so delivery is pretty cheap too.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]Thanks, Wombler :flower:

I appreciate your help in finding a good seller/price on your side of the pond:clap:.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2672383]Thanks, Wombler :flower:

I appreciate your help in finding a good seller/price on your side of the pond:clap:.[/QUOTE]

TBH it helps me too. :slight_smile:

And thanks for your expert advice.

I can find the deals okay providing I know what to look for. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JohnWB;2672310]Thanks for that Wombler, thats a great price, much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I ordered some yesterday & they have just arrived.

That is what I call great service (who says second class post is slow)

[QUOTE=JohnWB;2672482]I ordered some yesterday & they have just arrived.

That is what I call great service (who says second class post is slow)[/QUOTE]

LOL, I told you they were quick! :bigsmile:

TBH I’m never in a massive hurry for blank media but it’s good when you find somewhere that’s efficient with their deliveries.

I need to rearrange my main PC before I’ll get the time to start using these but hope to get everything up and running at the weekend if nothing else gets in the way.

[B]Wombler[/B]

The LM-BRS2MWE25 from Amazon arrived.

The label only shows the TUV.com certification, but not the 50 Years Archive Life logo.

So are these different from the genuine 50Years Archive Life? Should I return them?

Mariner8611 - I’ve also noticed that the last few batches I’ve recieved have not had the 50 years life logo.

I sort of just assumed Panasonic were no longer pushing the long life claim this far.

However, I’d also be really interested to know the full story if anyone can enlighten us.

Steve

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2674420]The LM-BRS2MWE25 from Amazon arrived.

The label only shows the TUV.com certification, but not the 50 Years Archive Life logo.

So are these different from the genuine 50Years Archive Life? Should I return them?[/QUOTE]

Without a picture of the spindle you received, it is hard to guess. Did you perhaps receive the LM-BRS25LU25 pictured here?

The one’s I got were LM-BRS2MWE25 - which are shown on the page you linked as having the 50 year archive life logo. However, my ones definitely do not have the logo.

Cheers;

Steve

[QUOTE=SteveJC;2674597]The one’s I got were LM-BRS2MWE25 - which are shown on the page you linked as having the 50 year archive life logo. However, my ones definitely do not have the logo.

Cheers;

Steve[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Steve.

Any chance you could post a photo or two of the spindle or point me to a listing which has a picture of your spindle?

Dean - I did take a photo - but I couldn’t find anyway of simply attaching it. The only option seemed to be to point to it on a web address - which I don’t have.

I’d be grateful for any suggestions on how I can get around this, please.

[QUOTE=SteveJC;2675230]Dean - I did take a photo - but I couldn’t find anyway of simply attaching it. The only option seemed to be to point to it on a web address - which I don’t have.

I’d be grateful for any suggestions on how I can get around this, please.[/QUOTE]

I’ve also emailed Panasonic Customer Support in the UK about this. From previous experience I’m not hopeful of a sensible reply - but I thought it worth a try. This is was I said:

[I]Your enquiry number is: 114398-1359712166[/I]
<O:p</O:p
[I]Hello[/I]
[I]<O:p</O:p[/I]
[I]My question is about Panasonic Blu-ray media - in particular LM-BRS2MWE25 cake box. I’ve been buying these (and the 10 box equivalent) for a couple of years, and I’ve been very pleased with them. I was initially attracted by the advertised “50 Years Archive Life”. The logo for which featured prominently on the packaging. However, I’ve just noticed on the last two boxes I received (from Seba Digital on Amazon) that this logo has disappeared.<O:p</O:p[/I]
[I]I would be very grateful if you could tell me why the logo is no longer on the product and if this signifies any change to Panasonic’s policy towards the archival properties of this product.<O:p</O:p[/I]

I’ll let you know if they reply.

I also raised this issue with Seba Digital who supplied my discs. They’ve just got back to me to say:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your email.
We keep all the latest stuff from Panasonic UK. “Offical Worldwide Olympic Partner” is the current logo. Panasonic changes their logo according to their policies. You can always speak with the Panasonic customer service regarding this matter.

Regards
Customer Services
Seba Digital Ltd

My spindles do indeed bear the Olympic logo - but it seems a bit odd of Panasonic to drop the “50 Years Archive Life” logo in preference. I’ll let you know what, if anything, Panasonic say.