Recommendations for a new dvdr drive

i need a new dvdr drive and some blank media.

i have read some good things about the Pioneer 115D and Samsung SH-203B drive but these seem to be old now. what is the best dvdr drive and blank media thats currently out right now? is the Pioneer 116D the replacement of the 115D?

i have heard good things about taiyo yuden media. i have an old Lite On LTR-52246S cdr drive (i think its still on original firmware) and have been using imation brand cdr blanks i think they are CMC media. even though everyone says they are bad they seem to work fine to me. does it matter if i get dvd-r or dvd+r blanks? i heard dvd-r might be more compatible with standalone dvd players is that true?

also why do some people have 2 optical drives in their computer? if they use one drive for writing only and one for reading only, isn’t there a drive that can do both very well? some of the things i am looking for is, the dvdr drive must be an IDE drive and read/write well. the blank media must be compatible with most standalone dvd players. also if i were to buy my new dvdr drive and blank media, is newegg.com still the best place to shop for computer hardware online?

Welcome to the forum alfun

The Pioneer 115D is still available if you look around and a very good drive; my personal choice over the Samsung.

TY media is almost always exceptional and you will not be disappointed with Verbatim media either.

2 burners for backing up movies for example can save you time. A lot of folks will use a drive that is not riplocked for reading (such as the Optiarc 7200 series) and then a solid burner for the writing (such as the 115D).

There cam be as many combinations of drives and that will depend on each user’s likes and dislikes.

[QUOTE=alfun;2130666]i have heard good things about taiyo yuden media.[/QUOTE]
Yes, indeed. You really cannot go wrong with genuine Taiyo Yuden media. I always buy mine from Rima (at rima.com). Look for Item Number 1733-100, for example (this is DVD+R, see more below). The important thing to make sure is that the Media ID code is “YUDEN000” (T02|T03)

i heard dvd-r might be more compatible with standalone dvd players is that true?

This is very debatable. I [B]always [/B]only burn TY DVD+R 8x media (like 1733 or 1734 noted above) and never have had a problem playing on any standalone DVD players. I have had problems with DVD-R media, tho. As an example, I have a very old Toshiba DVD standalone player. Model Number is SD-2008U manufactured in December 1998. This player will not play DVD-R discs…only DVD+R. It has to do with the way DVD+R handles the disc booktype and the ability to set the booktype to something more commonly readonable…such as DVD-ROM. DVD-R discs cannot have the booktype changed. See http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Increased-compatibility-DVD-bitsetting/ for more info on this.

Good luck! I’d say to stick with TY DVD+R media.

[QUOTE=~KIPPER~;2130753]
2 burners for backing up movies for example can save you time. A lot of folks will use a drive that is not riplocked for reading (such as the Optiarc 7200 series) and then a solid burner for the writing (such as the 115D).[/QUOTE]

i always thought it was better to save to hdd first then burn to disc. i have tried burning cd to cd before but would get errors. is the 115D riplocked? newegg.com has the 116D, is the 116D just an improved 115D?

[QUOTE=alfun;2131262]i always thought it was better to save to hdd first then burn to disc.[/QUOTE]

I agree :slight_smile:

But as ~KIPPER~ says, it’s nice to have a great reader (not riplocked) and a great burner.

To your original question: it’s nice to have two drives in a PC, as one can cover the other’s weaknesses. :slight_smile:

For DVD media, my personal choice is Verbatim 16x DVD+R :slight_smile:

Not sure if the 115D is riplocked, as I don’t use mine to rip.

ok i have been looking at more dvd burners and media and noticed that most of the drives are 20x and most of the media is 8x. how come there are no 20x media available? how long does it take to burn a 4.7gb dvd at 8x and how long does it take for it at 20x?

what is the best dvdr drive and blank media thats currently out right now? …the dvdr drive must be an IDE drive and read/write well… is the Pioneer 116D the replacement of the 115D?

i will have to say either the Nec Optiarc 7200 or the Lite-On 20A4P. Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R YUDEN0000 T02 media.
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-plus-r-media.html

i have a Pioneer 115D and can say it is a really good burner :clap: . however i am not impressed with the reading capabilities.

the 116 is to replace the 115. many 116 owners beleive the firmware is not supporting good burns at this time. :frowning:

i heard dvd-r might be more compatible with standalone dvd players is that true?

yes and no. :confused: really depends on the standalone player. many opinions go both ways. however for todays newer players, this is not true. its a fact that dvd+r burns better than dvd-r, so dvd+r bitset booktype dvd-rom could have an advantage over dvd-r media.

also why do some people have 2 optical drives in their computer? if they use one drive for writing only and one for reading only, isn’t there a drive that can do both very well?

yes the optiarc 7200 and liteon 20A4P are good burners and readers. however i like to use separate drives. 20A4P and 115D.

also if i were to buy my new dvdr drive and blank media, is newegg.com still the best place to shop for computer hardware online?

very good in my opinion
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151155
[B][U]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106228[/U][/B]

and here is the 115D
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/DVD-Burners/DVD+Drives/ci.DVR-115D.Shop

i will have to say either the Nec Optiarc 7200 or the[B] Lite-On 20A4P[/B].

The 20A4P is probably the worst drive I’ve ever owned.

The 20A4P is probably the worst drive I’ve ever owned.

really, sorry about that. :frowning:

my 20A1P is crossflashed to 20A4P so i really dont have one. however i know many members here which like their 20A4P drives.

Lite-On 20A4 series      	   	43 	11.72%
Lite-On 20A1 series              	46 	12.53%
Optiarc AD-72xx series  	   	60 	16.35%
Samsung SH-S203 series  	   	85 	23.16%
Pioneer DVR-115/215 series  	   	88 	23.98%
[I]Pioneer DVR-116/216 series  	   	49 	13.35%[/I] [i do not recommend (yet)]

even though some may feel that other drives can burn better [i am one of these members] my reason for suggesting the 20A4P is so alfun will have a quality scanning drive. and i did not recommend the samsung S203 drive because it is sata. and the ide version S202 ive read bad reviews.

Lite-On 20A4P - what is crossflashing? is it having a 20A1P drive and using the the 20A4P firmware on it? if yes how can i fix a drive if the flash went wrong? i have an old HP dvdr that i crossflashed with a Ricoh driver but it never worked after the flash. after reading some reviews and people saying lite on don’t make their drives like they used to i don’t think i will get this. also i heard it is loud when reading/writing.

Nec Optiarc 7200 - is this drive made by Sony and rebadged to Nec or what? whats it mean when its rebadged? made by same company but sold by two different names? this might look like a good choice.

Samsung SH-S202N/S203B - a friend recommended me to get the S202N, any problems with this drive? is it quiet when reading/writing? this drive seems to be a year old but its still a very good drive? S203B seems to be even older but still a very good drive?

after reading some reviews and people saying lite on don’t make their drives like they used to

That’s a funny statement. Lite-on always made cheap, and cheaply made drives… hence everyone had to cheapen their drives to compete. Their performance with -R media and CD-R’s was always mediocre at best.

if yes how can i fix a drive if the flash went wrong? i have [B]an old HP dvdr [/B]that i crossflashed with a Ricoh driver but it never worked after the flash.

New burners are only $25. At the slightest hint of a problem I just get a new one.