Recommendations for a new computer

vbimport

Hi all! I am in desperate need of a new computer and would like some advise. I need something that can handle having many things open at once. I also like to play a multitude of games and have one piece of software (ArcGIS) that needs to run quickly and smoothly. I would like to get a motherboard whose components can be upgraded in the future, possibly to support 3D gaming. Any other advice on hardware that I would need to support 3D gaming is much appreciated, but like I said, I’m not looking to get into it for awhile (maybe a year or so, depending how fast the industry grows). Can someone give me some ideas on what hardware to look into. I’m going to build it myself and I’d like its speed to last as long as possible when adding software to it through the years. Thanks!!

How much are you looking to spend?

This is a difficult time to build a system because a lot of new stuff is coming out in the next 3-4months, both intel and AMD. But they both have stuff that is somewhat future proof and will last you for years anyway.

welcome to the forums stormchaser100!

As Eric said above, please give us a budget. Also, let us know if that budget includes the cost of a monitor, mouse and keyboard.

First off since on one else said it
Welcome to the forum stormchaser100 :slight_smile:

As eric93se and adict2jane said we need to know a budget and do you want to go
with Intel or AMD for you CPU and which video card mfg. do you prefer ATi/AMD or
Nvidia? :confused:

Oops…I guess that is a vital piece of information I left out. I would spend up to $3000 on this machine including monitor, mouse and keyboard. I prefer intel CPU. As for sound card, I’ve always gone with Nvidia in the past, but am flexible if need be.

Eric…what kind of new stuff in coming out in a few months?

[QUOTE=stormchaser100;2558881]I would spend up to $3000 on this machine including monitor, mouse and keyboard.[/QUOTE]

On second thought, I don’t need a keyboard and mouse. I can use the ones I have.

Firstly, nvidia only made soundcards as part of older chipsets on motherboards - about 5-8years ago methinks. Nvidia only makes Video cards and chipsets.

Arcgis will run satisfactorily on practically every modern CPU available on the market (except atom & low power chips) - Solved.
Gaming - depends mostly on Video card. A fast Dual core will easily out-perform a lower clocked tri/quad/hex core cpu (and they generally are clocked much lower). Sound output is also a consideration. Are you outputting via HDMI with 7.1 digital sound? or do you just want standard Stereo? or 5.1 analogue? optical out?

First of all … what country are you in?

In the USA $3K will get you a top of the range gaming machine.
In Oz, it’ll get you a mid range gaming machine.
In Vietnam, you’d be lucky to get a low-end dell netbook :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, buy yourself a pair of 24" LCD monitors, a decent Video card, a decent 64-128GB SSD with a separate 1-2TB HDD for storage.
From there, you can start with the real decisions -

What manufacturer & model of CPU - gaming / Arcgis really only need a fast dual core CPU. Hardcore video conversions might warrant a quad/hex cores if you do it often while using your PC for other things.

Which video card - how much do you want to spend? What features do you want? Dual DVI - HDMI output? VGA/DSUB output? TV Input/output?

Which Motherboard (depends on your choice of CPU) - what features do you want on your motherboard? SLI video cards, extra SLI slots, USB3, how many SATA ports, Sound Chip, chipset performance & etc.

RAM - Depends on how much performance you need (gaming), and how much you want to spend.

Cases - depends on video card & CPU you choose, and how many drive bays you want, whether you want it for great ventilation or silent operation? What ports do you want, how big do you want the case?

Power Supply - depends on video cards & CPU you choose.

Optical Drive - Bluray or DVD writer?

Keyboard / Mouse / Speakers/etc,

[QUOTE=stormchaser100;2558881]Oops…I guess that is a vital piece of information I left out. I would spend up to $3000 on this machine including monitor, mouse and keyboard. I prefer intel CPU. As for sound card, I’ve always gone with Nvidia in the past, but am flexible if need be.

Eric…what kind of new stuff in coming out in a few months?[/QUOTE]

here Intel New CPU List after few month
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_future_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors
[B]Core i7-990X ( 6 core and 3.46Ghz ) [/B] :bigsmile:
and [B]25nm SSD[/B] :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=debro;2558887]Firstly, nvidia only made soundcards as part of older chipsets on motherboards - about 5-8years ago methinks. Nvidia only makes Video cards and chipsets.

Arcgis will run satisfactorily on practically every modern CPU available on the market (except atom & low power chips) - Solved.
Gaming - depends mostly on Video card. A fast Dual core will easily out-perform a lower clocked tri/quad/hex core cpu (and they generally are clocked much lower). Sound output is also a consideration. Are you outputting via HDMI with 7.1 digital sound? or do you just want standard Stereo? or 5.1 analogue? optical out?

First of all … what country are you in?

In the USA $3K will get you a top of the range gaming machine.
In Oz, it’ll get you a mid range gaming machine.
In Vietnam, you’d be lucky to get a low-end dell netbook :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, buy yourself a pair of 24" LCD monitors, a decent Video card, a decent 64-128GB SSD with a separate 1-2TB HDD for storage.
From there, you can start with the real decisions -

What manufacturer & model of CPU - gaming / Arcgis really only need a fast dual core CPU. Hardcore video conversions might warrant a quad/hex cores if you do it often while using your PC for other things.

Which video card - how much do you want to spend? What features do you want? Dual DVI - HDMI output? VGA/DSUB output? TV Input/output?

Which Motherboard (depends on your choice of CPU) - what features do you want on your motherboard? SLI video cards, extra SLI slots, USB3, how many SATA ports, Sound Chip, chipset performance & etc.

RAM - Depends on how much performance you need (gaming), and how much you want to spend.

Cases - depends on video card & CPU you choose, and how many drive bays you want, whether you want it for great ventilation or silent operation? What ports do you want, how big do you want the case?

Power Supply - depends on video cards & CPU you choose.

Optical Drive - Bluray or DVD writer?

Keyboard / Mouse / Speakers/etc,[/QUOTE]

I am located in the US. I think I want to stick with Intel for CPU, just don’t know which one would be best for me, obviously everyone wants one that will provide optimal performance. I’m reading that the AMD processors have better future upgradability. Is that true?

I understand that a fast dual core would be better for what is currently on the market and quad/hex cores are only needed for professional work (like video editing and such which I don’t do) but would it be better to invest in a quad core now based on the future of computers or is it just a waste of money?

As for sound…I currently have 5.1 surround sound system, but if I would consider upgrading to 7.1 if it fits my budget. I know that a lot of the other components may depend on this, so I’ll say yes I’ll upgrade to 7.1 :confused:

Video card…I’m willing to put a lot into the video card. Don’t understand the difference between running 2x mediocre cards vs 1x top of the line card. Was looking at the GTX580 but again not sure if multiple cards are better. I want to go with Dual DVI - HDMI output…don’t need TV input/output.

I guess I can’t decide on mobo…case and power yet until I figure out the CPU dilemma. Any advise is appreciated.

RAM…I read that DDR3 2000 MHz Ram and higher is having stability issues…so I guess 6GB at 1800 or 1866 would suffice for now? :confused: RAM is so cheap now anyway so I upgrade all the time.

No blue ray drive…just CD/DVD.

No keyboard or mouse is needed.

As for monitor…I need one that will support DSUB and DVI -HDMI as I will still have my other PC hooked up on a switch. I was considering the ASUS VW246H.

take your time and one by one
CPU and Mobo first :slight_smile:

Read this -> http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/65861.aspx
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/48391.aspx
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/61150.aspx

One of the new intel i3’s would be adequate, and i5’s would be a small upgrade :slight_smile:
An i7 is a definite overkill.

Yeah AMD and Intel will have new CPU’s the socket will change, AMD will have AM3+ and intel will have 1155/1356.

Its tuff to buy new stuff now unless you really need it or maybe you wouldn’t mind doing more of a budget build to keep yourself happy for now.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2558912]Yeah AMD and Intel will have new CPU’s the socket will change, AMD will have AM3+ and intel will have 1155/1356.

Its tuff to buy new stuff now unless you really need it or maybe you wouldn’t mind doing more of a budget build to keep yourself happy for now.[/QUOTE]
Keeping in mind that the CPU, RAM & Motherboard will change practically weekly - but are likely the only compnents which likely can’t be used in your next build.

The SSD, HDD, Optical Drives, Video Card(s), Case, Power Supply, Case, monitors can all be used if you upgrade the guts of your system. :wink:

Waiting for the next iteration of CPU’s/Mobo’s/Ram is always a bum steer. At some point, you just need to say … Fugit. I’m getting it today.

[QUOTE=debro;2558909]Read this -> http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/65861.aspx
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/48391.aspx
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/61150.aspx

One of the new intel i3’s would be adequate, and i5’s would be a small upgrade :slight_smile:
An i7 is a definite overkill.[/QUOTE]

Thank you everyone for all of the insightful information. I will read these articles above and check out the AM3+ and Intel 1155 and 1356 and maybe finally decide on a processor?? :slight_smile:

Burnsama…definitely don’t want to rush this, but don’t want to overthink it either :wink:

Anyone know the validity of the DDR3 2000 MHz stability issue?

ok…so I’ve been doing some research on CPU’s this morning and I think I’m more confused than before. So many parameters in each and I feel that the CPU in my current computer isn’t all that bad except for the 775 socket (I have a pentium D smithfield 820). I can’t even look at the AMD processors b/c I will suffer from information overload and won’t be able to make a decision. I think from what I am seeing that the i5 SandyBridge 2500 is what I will go for in January. Hopefully I’m not overdoing it picking this processor. Thoughts??

There are several possibilities open to you…

If you currently have an 8xx pentium D you can probably upgrade to a 9xx “Presler” PentiumD

as a note most smithfield chips have disabled hyperthreading, the preslers generally don’t.
The “smithfield” pentiumD is in essence two “Prescott” pentium4 chips in the same socket 775 package
The “Presler” pentium D is basically Two “Cedar Mill” CPU’s in the package.

And depending on your MoBo you might be able to skip the presler family pentium D
and jump right into a Conroe or Allendale C2D.

That way you’d get what you want for only the cost of a CPU rather than a complete computer.

there are MoBo’s out there that will accept a broad range of CPU’s from single core 800Mhz CPUs
through 1333Mhz C2Q chips…

You should investigate further.

AD

The i5 SandyBridge 2500 sounds like a good way to go, the 2400 might be at a better price point but I guess we will find out.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2559001]And depending on your MoBo you might be able to skip the presler family pentium D
and jump right into a Conroe or Allendale C2D.[/QUOTE]

I think I have a really sh***y mobo. I didn’t know Dell makes mobo’s but that’s what is says. The p/n is 316736100010_R01_A00. I have a feeling I won’t be able to do much w/ this mobo.

[QUOTE=stormchaser100;2559074]I think I have a really sh***y mobo. I didn’t know Dell makes mobo’s but that’s what is says. The p/n is 316736100010_R01_A00. I have a feeling I won’t be able to do much w/ this mobo.[/QUOTE]

Dell doesn’t actually make MoBo’s but they are a big enough company that they can have unique propriatary MoBo’s built to their specifications
along with all their unique connectors (to the front panel audio, Power Switch and USB jacks)

Please satisfy my curiosity by telling me what model Dell?

I am suprised that Dell built anything with a Pentium D, as the Pentium Dual cores that were actually built on the Netburst archetecture
had a relatively short life in the market place.

That didn’t however prevent Intel from using the “PentiumD” name for some lower level dual core notebook CPU’s that actually are really C2D chips.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2559247]Dell doesn’t actually make MoBo’s but they are a big enough company that they can have unique propriatary MoBo’s built to their specifications
along with all their unique connectors (to the front panel audio, Power Switch and USB jacks)

Please satisfy my curiosity by telling me what model Dell?

I am suprised that Dell built anything with a Pentium D, as the Pentium Dual cores that were actually built on the Netburst archetecture
had a relatively short life in the market place.

That didn’t however prevent Intel from using the “PentiumD” name for some lower level dual core notebook CPU’s that actually are really C2D chips.

AD[/QUOTE]

It’s a Dell Dimension 9100