Recommendations for 32-bit Linux Server installation

vbimport

I’m looking at possibly building a 32-bit Linux server that would act mainly as a file server.

More than likely I’d be using a Gigabyte 7N-400 Pro V2 with an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor and 3 GB of RAM.

Not sure on the hard drive just yet, but this board does support SATA Raid.

I was considering a 32-bit version of Ubuntu, but would like some additional recommendations from my fellow freaks.

Thanks.

That’s a big system for just a file server.

Usually file servers require little memory and cpu, but lots of bandwith (1Gb network) and disk space (2TB or so).

I recommend FreeNAS, because of its multitude of built in protocols.

FreeNAS is an embedded open source NAS (Network-Attached Storage) distribution based on FreeBSD, supporting the following protocols: CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS, TFTP, AFP, RSYNC, Unison, iSCSI (initiator and target) and UPnP.

It supports Software RAID (0,1,5), ZFS, disk encryption, S.M.A.R.T/email monitoring with a WEB configuration interface (from m0n0wall).

FreeNAS can be installed on Compact Flash/USB key, hard drive or booted from LiveCD.

I may look into FreeNAS. Thanks.

It may also function as a media server . . . still not sure.

FreeNAS is a decent recommendation, and ClearOS (free, based on RedHat Linux as opposed to BDS which FreeNAS is) may be an option depending on what you want to accomplish. Try this link (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=clearos) and you can also use DistroWatch to search for all sorts of things. But a “media server” (streaming??) may be something else.