Recommendation

I’m starting to use dl disc’s for backups…What is a good compression ratio to start using a dl disc?..Also,does the picture and sound degrade when backing up a backup?..Jim

using DL discs there is no need to compress a movie :slight_smile:

You can make a 1:1 copy of the entire disc :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=bandog101;2503794]I’m starting to use dl disc’s for backups…What is a good compression ratio to start using a dl disc?..Also,does the picture and sound degrade when backing up a backup?..Jim[/QUOTE]

As geno888 pointed out “using DL discs there is no need to compress a movie”

also when or if you do use single layer disc’s you can cut down on how much compression that will be needed by going into common settings-> write and set the out put size of DVD-5 to 4474 :wink:

Hey Y’all,You misunstand my ?about using dl.I’ve been using single layerdisc’s .Should I wait until the comp rate goes to say 70% before switching to dl or wait till it drops lower? I don’t want to waste a dl disc if I don’t need to or a single layer disc?..Did I word this the right way?..Jim

[QUOTE=bandog101;2503834]Hey Y’all,You misunstand my ?about using dl.I’ve been using single layerdisc’s .Should I wait until the comp rate goes to say 70% before switching to dl or wait till it drops lower? I don’t want to waste a dl disc if I don’t need to or a single layer disc?..Did I word this the right way?..Jim[/QUOTE]

If you are going to use DVD-9(D/L) just make sure you select DVD-9 in the drop down window at the very bottuom of the screen next to the word “Quality”, and it will show 100% which means NO compression :wink:

[QUOTE=bandog101;2503834]Hey Y’all,You misunstand my ?about using dl.I’ve been using single layerdisc’s .Should I wait until the comp rate goes to say 70% before switching to dl or wait till it drops lower? I don’t want to waste a dl disc if I don’t need to or a single layer disc?..Did I word this the right way?..Jim[/QUOTE]

oops, sorry for mistake :slight_smile:

Too bad there is no rule to decide if a single layer disc can be used safely or if is better to use a DL disc.

The amount of compression that can be applied safely is related to the source movie. Some movies can be compressed also at 70% with no big quality loss, and other can give ugly results also if compressed at 90% only.

The only way to decide is to run a test for each movie. Compress it to a single layer disc, burn it on a rewritable disc and watch result on your television. If results are good, then a single layer disc can be used safely.

It is a time consuming procedure, but it is also the best way to decide which disc is better for that specific movie :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=bandog101;2503834]Hey Y’all,You misunstand my ?about using dl.I’ve been using single layerdisc’s .Should I wait until the comp rate goes to say 70% before switching to dl or wait till it drops lower? I don’t want to waste a dl disc if I don’t need to or a single layer disc?..Did I word this the right way?..Jim[/QUOTE] 70% is my cutoff point then I go to DL