Recommendation Needed on Mobo and CPU combo

Would this be a decent mobo and cpu for a first time builder?

I plan to use this computer in conjunction with the ADS Tech Pyro A/V hardware and Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 software to download and burns disks of family movies from VHS and 8mm tapes.

“Asus A8V Via Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.20GHz OEM Processor”

Appreciate your input.

I think that I would look for another motherboard. That one seems to have a lot of problems with defective boards, bugs and compatibility issues. It might not be as bad as some cheap boards and may run great if you are lucky, but not quite what I would expect from asus. As far as the athlon, that looks like a good choice, but keep in mind, prices are dropping very fast right now. You might be able to get a dual core athlon for not much more in a month or get the 3500 cheaper.

Do you think I really need a dual core processor for video work?

I’ve never been able to get asus boards permanently stable :stuck_out_tongue:
But then again, I change hardware around, add new hardware, update drivers, practically every week … so maybe that has something to do with it :stuck_out_tongue:

Asus boards run fast though :wink:

Practically every application benefits (either directly due to multi-threaded optimizations or just offloading other background processes to the other core) from a dual cores -> Except games.

Would you need dual core? I certainly wouldn’t think so. Single core athlon 64’s are plenty fast enough. Still, around july 24th, the lower dual core are suposed to drop to around 160$ if I am not mistaken. The dual core processor will be faster with some video work, and it makes it that much longer before you have to upgrade again. For 60$ more, it migh be worth the upgrade.
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2800
Then again, the 3500 is already 110$. It might drop even lower. It just depends on what you want to spend but it seems like a good increase in power for the money to go dual core if they drop enough.

I used to have good luck with asus, but it seems since socket a and more so now, they seem to be more problamatic. I’m still having pretty good luck with abit boards. I change a lot of hardware around though maybe not as much as you. I defanatlly think that might be part of our problems. :bigsmile:
Looking on newegg user reviews though, that particular board seems very problamatic.

:bow:Abit:bow:

That what I run in my own computers. Abit boards seem to provide a nice ballance between performance, stability and features and seem quite low on compatibility issues. Its about all I have used in my own computers latlly including the most recent one I bought, with the exception of free ecs boards from fry’s and that is because they are free, not because they are good. I would never put an ecs in a main system though. As soon as I get a few things changed around (again), The two main systems I use will both be running abit boards (my main systems abit is going into my second system and my main system already got a new abit). I guess the old ecs and athlon xp2400 is getting shelved (till my son gets old enough to use it and then I’ll probably use it to build a system from spare parts).

Asus A8V is getting pretty old by now so I would recommend a motherboard that utilizes PCI-E such as the MSI RS482M4-ILD if you cannot afford a separate video card a the moment. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130520
//Danne

Didn’t they go bust, were sold and are produced god knows where these days? I’d be a bit wary of their current offerings. For something that works straight out of the box, I’d prefer Asus.

How does a person determine if a mobo is fairly new? Is there a way to determine how long a board has been on the market? Or do you just go by what the board supports (PCI-E, SATA, etc.).

What other “features” do the newest mobo’s have? And what should I attempt to make sure my new mobo has?

Thanks for the input.

To have:

• PCI-E 16 slots x2 (preffered).
  • PCI-E 1 slots x2-4.
  • PCI (old standard) x1-2
  • 4-8 SATA ports. 4 is okay, 8 is preffered.
  • 2 IDE ports (4 preferred) with raid.
  • Gigabit ethernet.
  • USB2 x 8
  • IEEE 1394B (firewire 800 Mb/s)
  • Sound 5.1/7.1 onboard with optical out.
  • DDR2 ram slots x 4.
  • No onboard video :stuck_out_tongue:
  • Front case audio, firewire & USB headers.
    Have I missed anything?

You can go to the Mobo manufacturers website and look at the new mobos/products and their features. ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE and so on. Most explain in detail what is new.:slight_smile:

When I built my system, I asked the same question, and most of the forum member said to get the Asus A8N32-SLI- Deluxe because I wanted to go with the 939 socket AMD processor. I am very happy with it.

@ burnselk
Browse for reviews or look at the manufacturers site

@ debro
About your "list"
PCI-Express 16x 2X is pretty much useless since most are only for SLI and like 95% of all people wont even think about SLI.
SATA ports… I’m quite confident that 2 is more than enough for most people, it’s quite rare to find users that have more than 5 HDDs anyways. 4 is more than enough.
4 IDE ports? You’ll [B]never[/B] find a motherboard with that, at least keep your list a bit realistic… :wink:
Some may have 3 but software RAID is crap (controllers use their drivers to forward all processing to the CPU instead of do it). If you feel “l33t” enough to use/have a look at RAID you’ll know that hardware RAID is much faster and more reliable.
8 ports for USB… You’ll be fine with 4, even if you need more there most likely internal connectors (headers).
You have yet to show me a device that uses 1394B potential, only hi-end motherboards may carry [B]B[/B] and you still cant use it :wink:
Sound… since your computer most likely will be a bit away from your stereo or speaker system coaxial is to prefer.
DDR2 has proven to be no better than DDR so why bother? It’s also not compatible with Socket 939 to begin with.
Onboard video is fine unless you’re a hardcore gamer, workstations uses it, servers uses it etc… It’s perfectly fine for more people and you CAN upgrade.
//Danne

Can be used for dual vid output, if required.
Many video cards are dualhead these days at any rate, but ati are now using new video card technology that can utilise older video cards for physics processing, removing load from the CPU. Why wouldn’t you do this, if it’s not much more expensive.
A dedicated PCI physics processing card comes in at $500US+.

Everything is moving to SATA. It’s not uncommon to find people with 2 HD’s & 2 optical drives.

My old motherboard had it. Boards with 3 or 4 ide ports are a little upscale from the usual run of the mill basic boards.

Software raid is pretty crap, but it’s enough for an consumer user, if they ever want to go that way.

Printer, scanner, joystick, Bluetooth, Mouse, Keyboard.
External HD, usb memory card reader or Digital Camera, usb 2.5" HD (requires 2 ports).

Most motherboards have 4 on the board + 4 on 2 internal headers.
Cheap motherboards have 2 onboard + a few on headers.
At least 6 are required if you want to keep all you stuff plugged in.

I have it, and no I can’t use it atm. But if you are buying new & it is introduced, why would you buy old technology if it isn’t significantly cheaper???

Socket 939 is now obsolete. Socket 939 processors have been superseded by socket AM2, which requires DDR2.
Again, why would you buy a motherboard with an obsolete socket, which you KNOW cannot have a faster CPU put in at a later date?
Besides, these days … DDR2 is 30% cheaper than DDR ram.

1. Steals your ram, worse->steals your ram bandwidth. You can’t play any recent games with an onboard video.
  2. Firmwares often don’t turn these devices off correctly & they cause issues issues. If you have no intention of using it, don’t get it. It’s often slightly more expensive than one without it anyway, thanks to the video headers.

The OP asked what he should look for. The list is the wishlist. Most modern motherboards should meet most of the criteria -> excepting the dual PCI-E 16 requirement, which may nto be relevant if the OP is not a gamer. The average consumer IS a casual gamer.

I’m speaking in general terms or at least that’s was my purpose…

If ATi’s physics acceleration is “as good” as Ageia’s which means slower performance than without PhysX I dont think many will adopt it cough. Although this has been changed (Ageia’s), now you get around 10% if it works (somewhat) although pretty much all review sites tells you to wait and see. It’ll also most likely (just as everything else) need special support and even if “works” it’ll take quite a while before average Joe will get it. As for that matter how many have you seen using SLI in the general public, even on computer geek forums its rare. As for acceleration cards you [B]only[/B] need to shell out 250$.

Regarding optical drives and multiple HDDs have a look at a branded computer, how many drives do you find except the really high end ones? Yes, CDFreaks.com users may have 8 optical drives but it’s not common. Most have one single drive, perhaps two for some reason and almost all still use PATA and probably keeping it that way since more than 90% of all PCs still have PATA.

Yes, your old mainboard had 4 PATA connectors… (I’m aware that 3 were common although not 4) Do you find any today?

As for Firewire there’s no point in adding 40-50 bucks just for getting something that he/she wont use.

Yes, Socket 939 is “old” and AM2 is going to replace it eventually but lets think a bit further. How many times have you upgraded and been able to keep RAM, motherboard?
When it comes to upgrading most try to “revive” their dying computer and by that means replacing the CPU. Unfortunately new models gets released with higher bus speeds etc which still makes your old stuff unusable even if it were the brand new DDR memory etc. AM2 is also relatively untested, if you want to be a guinea pig go ahead. We all like brand new chipsets right?

Integrated video doesnt really steal since the memory controller is integrated into the CPU. No one said anything about trying to run CoD2 on onboard video, for most desktop work it’s more than fine and video playback works like a bliss too. Firmwares? I guess you mean Video BIOS and its quite rare today to find real issues except for perticular models. About all laptops > 700$ use onboard video and most Workstations (at work) do and they work like shit right? It’s a perfectly fine solution if you want to save money or simply dont have the money to buy a PCI-E video card. To be honest I’m using onboard video right now and it works like a bliss. It’s not the fastest card around but its pretty competent. WoW works fine on my cousins laptop and that’s GMA900.

My point is that your “wishlist” (which says “to have”) may encourage ppl to go with very expensive Deluxe/Premium even though they may be fine with a 50$ mainboard.
I also doubt that our TS wants to spend “much” (no offence) money at all by the selection of components.
//Danne

I appreciate the discussion guys…it makes me really think about what I need or want…and is therefore very helpful in my selection process.

What’s your opinion of the ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail for $95…and the AMD Athlon 64x2 3800+ Windsor 2000MHz HT Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor model ADA3800IAA5CU-retail from NewEgg for $151.

I’d like to be able to at least stay up with the latest…while keeping the cost down as much as possible.

I’ll be using this computer (new build) mostly for video capturing, editing and burning…no gaming.

You get a much better “bang for the buck” by going Intel Core 2 Duo, E6300 costs around 200 and is noticably faster than AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+.

…and perhaps this motherboard?

It’s still pretty new so there arent any “really cheap” mainboards around :confused:
//Danne