Recommendation for my first NEC/Optiarc drive

I’d like a real NEC drive (I don’t know if there are rebranded drives, that are not made by NEC/Optiarc).

I found 3 drives at the NEC website:
AD-7200A - No LS or LF
AD-7201A - Lightscribe
AD-7203A - Labelfash

I do not really need LS or LF. For me this three drives looks very similar in the burn results. The “Results and discussions” thread does not really show big differences (for me). Are NEC drives usable as DVD quality scanning drive? I saw there were scans posted in the “Results and discussions” thread made with the AD-720x drives… Is one of this drives a “best buy” or are all three drives as good as the other AD-720xA drives?

I’ve got an AD-7200A right now and can tell you that I’m very satisfied with it. The only speed at which the drive is usable for - more or less - reliable quality scanning is, unfortunately, 4x.

I remember Dee-27 telling me that there are absolutely no differences between AD-720xA/S, except for the added LS/LF support and/or SATA/PATA interface. So, I’d say, their results are all more or less the same (i.e. great).

[QUOTE=danio_89;2132133]I’ve got an AD-7200A right now and can tell you that I’m very satisfied with it. The only speed at which the drive is usable for - more or less - reliable quality scanning is, unfortunately, 4x.[/QUOTE]

Actually, for NEC drives, you generally want to use 5x for scanning.

The 7200 series are good CD scanners, but not very useful for DVD scanning.

Thank you to your suggestions. I ordered a AD-7203A :iagree: