Recommendation for DVD burner with excellent DVD player compatibility

Hi,

for a mini DVD production I will need to burn a LOT of DVDs next week. I would like to use all of my available PCs for this and thought about purchasing 2 external slim dvd burners. I guess in favor of better burn quality I will prefer to buy regular 3.5" burners instead and put them into external enclosures.

In my desktop PC I have used a Benq DW1620 for ages now and always gotten good results with it, I don’t have any clue as to what are good drives nowadays.

The main factors are:

• should produce very compatible DVDs for use on DVD players (since this is what I buy them for)

The DVDs will be printed and packaged by a printing company and they told me that they will be TDK DVD-Rs. I will burn them at 4x-6x speed…

• affordable (I just add this to mean: not 200+)

I read about the Optiarc 724x in another thread, would these be a good recommendation?

I guess any external enclosure will do, right? If not, do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Markus

Not choosing slmitype drives is a good idea.
But think again about the media brand, namely TDK…

sadly i cannot choose the media…it will be supplied by the printing and labeling company

Hi,[QUOTE=estin;2561915]
for a mini DVD production I will need to burn a LOT of DVDs next week. I would like to use all of my available PCs for this and thought about purchasing 2 external slim dvd burners.[/quote]Stay clear of those.

I guess in favor of better burn quality I will prefer to buy regular 3.5" burners instead and put them into external enclosures.

This is the better option. :iagree:

• affordable (I just add this to mean: not 200+)
    Depends on your local currency. :wink:
    Internal Sata DVD writers start at ~20 Euro here. Plus the enclosure.

I read about the Optiarc 724x in another thread, would these be a good recommendation?

I don’t have personal experience with these, but the results posted look good. Another option seems to be Samsungs SH-S243x models.

I guess any external enclosure will do, right? If not, do you have any suggestions?

I am not sure about that. Sometimes there are compatibility issues.

Personally, I have good experience with LG’s GE20NU[I]10[/I] (or its Lightscribe sibling GE20LU[I]10[/I]) Unfortunately, these are already replaced by successor models, and I have no idea about the performance of these.

Michael

Hi Michael,

would be EURO for me too :wink: Is this the one you were referring to:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a349897.html

(it’s missing the “10” at the end)

If so, this seems like a good deal as the enclosure is already…enclosed ^^

Would you say that you had good quality burns with these drives? I’d really like to achieve maximum compatibility with DVD players, I guess there will always be some DVD players that are a little picky though, right?

I will also check out the Samsung, the LG really caught my attention though because it’s already shipped with the enclosure…

Thanks

Markus

You should ask your printing and labeling company to tell you the exact Media IDentification code (MID) of those DVD-R.

Somebody please correct me, but afaict:

GE20NU10 & LU10 = desktop drives GH20NS10 & LS10 OR GH20NS15 & LS15

GE20NU11 & LU11 = desktop drives GH22NS40 & LS40

Maybe you can find some scans of TDK DVD-R to check how they work with those drives:

In this thread http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-gh22ns-ls40-258473/index2.html there are no TDK scans,
but i guess there should be no [I]big[/I] difference to the GH20 results.

Optiarc 7240/7241/7243 scans:

Hi,

thank you for identifiying which drives these external models use!

I actually received the test samples today…the media i got has the manufacturer code “TTH02”

I found a couple of scans with this code, I don’t have any experience in interepreting the test results though. If it’s not too much of a hassle I would be very glad if someone could point me in the right direction or give me a quick overview over how this media fares with the LG and Optiarc drives.

Any recommendations like: “I would definitely go with…” would be excellent too :slight_smile:

Many thanks for your help.

Markus

In the GH20NS10 I found some scans that seem to be at very low quality scores for this media, some even fail completely…does this mean I should prefer the Optiarc drives?

I found this external enclosure which is available at a local store:

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a337793.html

It’s near no-name, but should suffice? Or should I prefer a brand name enclosure?

TTH02 isn’t the best media at all, depoending on the origin, the results are very variable.
As far as I know, the GE20NU10 should be a GH20NS15 (but I haven’t a proof for that at hand).

If the Optiarc scans lokk better for that media, then indeed they are to prefer then.

Michael