Recommendation for capture card

vbimport

I’m looking for a recommendation for a video capture card I can use to convert VHS tapes to DVD. I tried an Avermedia card a few years ago but it never did a good job. I like the comprehensiveness of this guide to capture cards:

…but it’s about 2 years out of date. I’d welcome any recommendations of a capture card with good hardware encoding that can retain as much quality from VHS tapes as possible. It looks like many come with TV tuners as well, which I don’t really need, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to have.

Hi reynald,

I’m not very experienced with this, but I heard that Dazzle (from Pinnacle) should do the job very well. Also it appears very easy to use.

Hi

Just get a firewire card…

NBK

Before I can recommend anything, I need to know exactly what you want to do.
Do you want to simply transfer VHS to DVD with no editing, no motion menus, and no transitions.

Do you want to be able to do some creative editing, transitions, menus?

Do you want to be able to do frame accurate editing and have the ability to do professional like transitions and motion menus?

I have been using WinFast 2000 Delux for the last 3-4 year ($42) and quite satisfied with it.

Thanks for the clarification question, Rob. I intend to keep my editing pretty basic & functional – just simple chapter menus, with framegrabs for the latter. No transitions; no fancy editing. I look forward to seeing what you recommend.

To convert the VHS video to DVD through the PC and capture card process the worse can be done with no satisfaction you can buy VHS/DVD recorder combo this day for less than $200 and doe dubbing and copying with best quality out come possible.

IMO Try http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815100129

$27.89 and it works. Since VHS is poor quality to begin with, this capture card is good enough.

Include DVD Power Producer Pro which is a good program, prefer Nero Vision, but Power Producer Pro enables you to capture video and convert to DVD files.

Quality is Good, just takes about an hour to capture video, then another hour to convert to DVD.

Only issue can be macrovision on VHS. But my VCR enables me to overcome this obstacle. Other options to overcome macro vision are possible.

Also check out this link for video capture cards and hardware to overcome macrovision.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=77688

I just purchased a product from Pinnacle that comes as a USB device. I was looking for the same thing you were and found that this was the easiest option for me, being a novice. It comes with software to edit and create your own DVDs. I have had solid success so far.

For the best outcome for the money, and for ease of use, it is recommended to use a good S-VHS video machine hooked up to a standalone dvd recorder. If any are copy protected there are inexpensive solutions which can be hooked up between your vhs machine and your dvd recorder to bypass macrovision. A google search will provide you with suggestions there, and then you can ask more about it from there. That will give the the absolute best quality. You can still achieve good/decent quality, with a simple vhs player to dvd recorder. The good S-VHS machines (JVC), allow you to use hardware filters to clean up some of the imperfections on your video, adjust you black levels to some degree. From there you can use one of a few inexpensive mpeg editing softwares to make minor edits, set chapter markers, etc… MPEG Wizard is just one of the decent ones.