Recommendation for audio-cd image back-up format/tool

hi guys,

first of all, sorry if i ask something already answered in a way or another, but frankly i’ve read a lot of threads and they didn’t match exactly my case. i’ll try to briefly describe the issue:

i have a collection of audio-cds, and some of them are copies, some are original. the idea is that especially the copied cd-r discs are degrading in time and i want to back-up their state now. because i am a super-exaggerated-quality-freak, i want to back-up my cds as image files in some format. also, i want to BE SURE that i backup NOT only the audio, but any index/subchannel/whatever information (like track pre-counts, cd-text, etc), shortly said, i want an image that will allow me over let’s say, 10-years, to build a perfect 1:1 copy of these discs.

of course, the question: what tool do you recommend ? eventually the file format and some important reading settings.

i imagine that ISO format can’t be used properly for this task; i was also thinking about clone cd, i had some experience with it years ago, when it still belong to elby, but somewhere said something that this isn’t really the proper tool for audio cds tasks.

so please, throw a hint over, i repeat, a 1:1 restoration/copy means NOT only the audio, but also markers, pre-counts, and ANY other information on disk (i really have for example a live CD that has a -0:06 custom pre-count between two tracks and of course, the audio continuously flows between tracks – it’s wonderful :D)

i know, I AM A FREAK, that’s why i’m here :stuck_out_tongue:

and NO, don’t mention about FLAC and other stuff, I WANT a COMPLETE 1:1 backup

thanks much !

Imgburn: Create image file from disk. This will give you an iso if that’s what you want. To play it you will need some sort of virtual drive software like Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone Drive.

[quote=Whappo;2220227]Imgburn: Create image file from disk. This will give you an iso if that’s what you want. [/quote]Since Audio CDs don’t have a file system, the image might be something like a big Wav file or something which is only supported by Imgburn. It is definitely not an Iso image.

@jazzmanro:
Have a look at PerfectRip.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2220231]Since Audio CDs don’t have a file system, the image might be something like a big Wav file or something which is only supported by Imgburn. It is definitely not an Iso image.

@jazzmanro:

Michael[/QUOTE]

You are correct, it creates a bin/cue which is even easier, just load the cue file in your media player.

jazzmanro wrote,

“and NO, don’t mention about FLAC and other stuff, I WANT a COMPLETE 1:1 backup”…

Ok, got it!..I won’t mention that, [B]Flac[/B] is the most popular [B]lossless[/B] codec out there and it’s open source.:stuck_out_tongue:

Rip with EAC or dBpoweramp>CUE+tracks or CUE+Wav…

And NO,don’t ask me how to do it…Google is your friend…:wink:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2220231]Since Audio CDs don’t have a file system, the image might be something like a big Wav file or something which is only supported by Imgburn. It is definitely not an Iso image.

@jazzmanro:

Michael[/QUOTE]

perferctrip looks extremely interesting. i’ve tried playing around with it, saw that it supports building ccd (clone cd if i’m not wrong), cdg and cdr images (don’t know the differences between them). both cdg and cdr build .cue files. i’ve made the connection in my mind with other .cue releases (of audio albums) that i’ve saw over the internet, and after a bit of research, i discovered that based on .cue info, audio players gain indexes on one-piece audio files (like one big wav or mp3) so you can properly play live albums stored in one single file, you have all the tracks, etc.

this changed my mind a bit about my audio archive CDs backup, and i’ve thought it would be just GREAT to have a cdr (bin/cue) image backup for example, and just play that album based on the .cue file. however, i’ve run into a problem: it actually doesn’t work. on windows, could not find a player, winamp plugin or anything to read the cue/bin combination. winamp reads the .cue, but it just skips all the tracks, and this happens with latest CUE Player plugin (v0.57) for winamp 5.5xx. i think that probably, winamp has issues handling the .bin file although the .cue seems properly read…

let me get back to some questions:
during the rip, i’ve saw that perfectrip seems to properly search/read the extra-information i was talking about on audio cds: searched for cd-text, flags, i think it hit pre-counts, etc. however, just the ccd rip explicitly read sub-channel data (separate file, biggest image overall size – seems that extra-info may be there).
Q1: does perfectrip read and store all disc information/structure in all ccd/cdr/cdg cases ? in other words, which format would be the most close to the 1:1 backup (including non-audio index/structure/subchannel? data) i am searching for ?
Q2: do you have any ideas, of how could i handle the bin/cue case so that players would play content directly without mounting the images ? i wanna put my 200 cd collection on my 1tb external drive and would be just great if i could browse and listen through the back-up images like regular mp3/flac files

t0nee1, you’re a freak :stuck_out_tongue:
thanks for your FLAC hint. i also love the idea, BUT, can FLAC store all subchannel/index/any other bit of non-audio data that i am searching for ?
i guess not, so, being a freak, i over-exaggerate things, i want a complete 1:1 backup :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks guys, searching for a long-lasting backup solution of my cd collection :slight_smile:

Q2: do you have any ideas, of how could i handle the bin/cue case so that players would play content directly without mounting the images ? i wanna put my 200 cd collection on my 1tb external drive and would be just great if i could browse and listen through the back-up images like regular mp3/flac files

Use VLC, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/, it handles cue files easily.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2221390]
Use VLC, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/, it handles cue files easily.[/QUOTE]

it surely doesn’t work for me :expressionless:
ripped one audio cd with perfectrip in both cdr and cdg formats, tried to open resulting .cue files with latest vlc, 0.9.8a, noting. no error message, no sound, a stuck playback slider, nowhere any sign of correctly read track lengths, noting.

did anyone try this ? especially the cue/bin or cue/img combination…

Try opening your CUE file with something like, foobar2k…After all, we are talking AUDIO, right? You can use the CUE for burning your track(s) or, so-called “perfect” 1:1 CD copy you wanted…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2221569]Try opening your CUE file with something like, foobar2k…After all, we are talking AUDIO, right? You can use the CUE for burning your track(s) or, so-called “perfect” 1:1 CD copy you wanted…[/QUOTE]

Foobar2000 says:
[I]Unable to open item for playback (Error parsing cuesheet: expected WAVE, MP3 or AIFF, got : “BINARY” (line 5)):
“Z:\cd.cdr.cue”[/I]

…next idea ? :smiley:

Nope!..
So much for perfectrip eh!..