Recommend Video Card

I just purchased TotalMedia Theater 5 to use with my new LG WH12LS30 writer and although my video card works with TMT5 I’ve been told (Kerry56, Deanwitty,) it’s marginal and doesn’t meet ArcSoft’s minimum requirement.

Deanwitty says he uses a Radeon HD 6670 and a friend of his is happy with the HD6570 but that I should do some checking around. Kerry56 suggested I post here for some help.

I don’t know a lot about video cards but I don’t need anything fancy just something that will handle high def video playback, will support TMT5, and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg ($75-$100 the lower the better).

My Computer:
Windows 7 (32 bit)
Intel DG965WH
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz
GeForce 8500 GT
350w power supply

Hi mccoady, I have to say this is one of those cases to say 'if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it". Your 8500GT is a very weak card, BUT I’m pretty sure it can do GPU acceleration when it comes to video decoding. I have a 8200GS that can do gpu acceleration, that I keep as a back-up.

I have to say on the other hand that a newer card will probably produce slightly better colors and a slightly cleaner image. So here is a suggestion for an inexpensive card that has HDMI output for your HDTV. This is not a gaming card, but it can do basic games. If you want to spend a little more and get a card that can play some modern games we can give you some suggestions.

PowerColor AX5570 1GBD3-H Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $40 AR FS

Because your old card is Nvidia and the new one will be AMD, you should uninstall the old video driver and use a free program called Driver Sweeper.

First uninstal the old driver, don’t reboot, run driver sweeper to remove the old Nvidia video drivers, then shutdown the PC, unplug the power, install the new card, then when you start the PC you can install the latest AMD video drivers.

I realize this video card may not fit the required GPU that the software wants, but it is plenty fast for doing video playback.

[QUOTE=mccoady;2596917]I just purchased TotalMedia Theater 5 to use with my new LG WH12LS30 writer and although my video card works with TMT5 I’ve been told (Kerry56, Deanwitty,) it’s marginal and doesn’t meet ArcSoft’s minimum requirement.

Deanwitty says he uses a Radeon HD 6670 and a friend of his is happy with the HD6570 but that I should do some checking around. Kerry56 suggested I post here for some help.

I don’t know a lot about video cards but I don’t need anything fancy just something that will handle high def video playback, will support TMT5, and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg ($75-$100 the lower the better).

My Computer:
Windows 7 (32 bit)
Intel DG965WH
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz
GeForce 8500 GT
350w power supply[/QUOTE]
Given the power supply you have, I would lean towards the 6570. In terms of HD video playback, it is probably the best bang for the buck right now http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6570-radeon-hd-6670-turks,2925-14.html . AMD GPU’s have been incorporating HD video playback tweaks a bit more than Nvidia recently. It is available in that price range. The 6000 series GPU’s have some HD video features absent from the 5000 series that may be worth spending a little extra to future-proof your purchase :).

Thanks Eric for all the info including using Drive sweeper and the procedure for uninstalling and re-installing a video card.

While I like the price of the HD 5570 I think I may go with the HD 6570 as Dean suggested to future-proof my purchase plus if I have any TMT5 issues ArcSoft support can’t say my video card doesn’t meet their requirements.

Dean or Eric when choosing a HD 6570 (or any other video cards) on Newegg does it matter what brand or just the cheapest price?

Since I just bought the LG and TMT5 I may wait a couple of weeks before buying but I plan on watching for sales.

Eric and Dean Thanks!

You can keep an eye on this one for a price drop/sale:
MSI R6570-MD1GD3/LP Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

Thanks Eric!

Take a look in your case to see if there is a card installed next to the video card fan side. If so, you might want to avoid the cards with taller heatsink/fans. Definitely look through the reviews for mention of quiet operation. Getting stuck with a noisy video card is no fun at all :sad:. This http://www.hwcompare.com/10513/geforce-8500-gt-vs-radeon-hd-6570-oem-1gb/ makes me think that this will be a safe upgrade with your current machine. Take a little time and research your choice till you feel all warm and fuzzy inside about choosing the right one at the best price :bigsmile: . As Eric wisely pointed out, you are currently up and running, and there’s no hurry.