Recommend some good External DVD Drives

vbimport

to Newbie.

Im thinking 16x will be plenty. Maybe 12x or 8x oldies but goldies as well.

Maybe some oldie but goldie External CD burners as well.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.

:smiley:

Since you mentioned oldies but goldies, my LG E10N (16x DVD burner) has served me very well since I’ve had it. LG have been very robust for me.

I’d like to get an E60N/L, but can’t justify it at present since my E10N is still going strong. :slight_smile:

BTW, welcome to the forum :smiley:

I would go with Lite-On or Samsung external drives, no matter if you intend to burn at 8x or 20x speed. :smiley:

Both type of drives will give you good results. (Note though, I also love the burns my lappys LG 4082 produces at 8x.

Thanks for the replys so far.

I have a LiteOn EZ Burn, Walmart model, coming.

Im looking at maybe a

Sony 810UL or 830UL-T.

Plextor 740UF, 755UF, or 708UF, 712UF, 716UF.

Pioneer make any good externals?

Maybe a TDK VeloCD External CD burner 48X?

I was looking at maybe the LG GSAE40L. What do you think about that one, Arachne?

Welcome to CDF’s:

Do you have an eSATA connector on your mobo?

Or if on a lappy do you have an eSATA PCMCIA or Express card?

I would order and nice eSATA external case and a Sammy 203B or 203N if you can find one.

Or get a Pioneer 215 and put it in the eSATA case.

What is your location?

Charleston SC

I need ease of use. Will be used with a laptop in the future, working on that now, as well. Right now I hope to hook it up to an old Gateway with a 1.something GHz Celeron, and 1MB of Ram, no Firewire. But will use Firewire on the lappy.

What’s so great about eSATA?

Simplicity will be my friend, at this point, I think.

[QUOTE=EscapeVelocity;2032598]Charleston SC

I need ease of use. Will be used with a laptop in the future, working on that now, as well. Right now I hope to hook it up to an old Gateway with a 1.something GHz Celeron, and 1MB of Ram, no Firewire. But will use Firewire on the lappy.

What’s so great about eSATA?

Simplicity will be my friend, at this point, I think.[/QUOTE]Faster/newer than USB and firewire…simple enough? :flower:

I have an eSATA case i put one of my Sammy 203B’s in and can get 20x burns with mobo and lappy.

Just take your time and check some stuff out.

Missouri here. Look around at Newegg.com

All you do is connect a 2 cables and 4 screws with an external case and drive.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2032578]I would go with Lite-On or Samsung external drives, no matter if you intend to burn at 8x or 20x speed. :smiley:

Both type of drives will give you good results. (Note though, I also love the burns my lappys LG 4082 produces at 8x.[/QUOTE]pinto2 has some good advice as well as Arachne.

I think Ill hold off on building my own box, just yet. But thanks.

I was thinking of getting a Benq 1650 or 1640 and putting it in a box, or maybe a Pioneer. But I saw a Pioneer external on ebay.

I dunno.

What about the Samsung Externals?

[QUOTE=EscapeVelocity;2032617]I think Ill hold off on building my own box, just yet. But thanks.

I was thinking of getting a Benq 1650 or 1640 and putting it in a box, or maybe a Pioneer. But I saw a Pioneer external on ebay.

I dunno.

[B]What about the Samsung Externals[/B]?[/QUOTE]I don’t know. I have always built mine.

Thanks Bob.

Anybody know anything about the LiteOn Ez Dub 16x?

[QUOTE=EscapeVelocity;2032594]I was looking at maybe the LG GSAE40L. What do you think about that one, Arachne?[/QUOTE]

Looks like a good choice - I believe it has a Renesas chipset, like the E10 and E60. I’d choose it if my E10N died and the E60x wasn’t available.

Failing that, I’ll echo Pinto2 and Bob on the Samsung externals. In the Samsung forum, you’ll find at least two reviews by Dee-27 of Samsung external drives.

What model is the LiteOn you’ve purchased?

SHW-160P6S

I see you have quite an assortment of drives, there.

Thanks again.

[QUOTE=EscapeVelocity;2032893]SHW-160P6S

I see you have quite an assortment of drives, there.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I have that drive’s internal older brother (165P6S) - very nice drive, and a good DVD quality scanner 'cos it’s not too tolerant :slight_smile:

Hehe, yes I’ve promised I won’t buy another drive till they start wearing out :o

know anything about the pioner x122?

Not a thing sorry. Only ever had internal Pioneer drives (the 115D does OK in an external enclosure).

Also got an E10N here. Brilliant reader and good burner too.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2032894]Ah, I have that drive’s internal older brother (165P6S) - very nice drive, and a good DVD quality scanner 'cos it’s not too tolerant :slight_smile:

Hehe, yes I’ve promised I won’t buy another drive till they start wearing out :o[/QUOTE]

Hey there Arachne.

I just did my first burn! :cool:

HP 840e (I think its an LG 4166 or something), Superbit Edition Fifth Element, CloneDVD and AnyDVD, 67% reduction in data(I dont know the proper terminology). TY DVD-R media. Still working on acquiring knowledge and terminology, but it looks great played back on my Vizio GV42LF via an Oppo 970. I cut out the FBI warning and another little clip, it goes straight to the menus. Im gonna try to scan it next, I guess. (Steep learning curve.)

Anyways, Im looking at getting

LiteOn 165P6SX
Sony 810UL
Samung External…still researching.

and maybe a LiteOn 5239S external CD burner. What can you tell me about that, I see you have one in your list?

Plextor looks complicated with its Plextools. I dunno.

Cheers! :flower:

[QUOTE=EscapeVelocity;2035405]Hey there Arachne.

I just did my first burn! :cool:

HP 840e (I think its an LG 4166 or something), Superbit Edition Fifth Element, CloneDVD and AnyDVD, 67% reduction in data(I dont know the proper terminology). TY DVD-R media. Still working on acquiring knowledge and terminology, but it looks great played back on my Vizio GV42LF via an Oppo 970. I cut out the FBI warning and another little clip, it goes straight to the menus. Im gonna try to scan it next, I guess. (Steep learning curve.)

Anyways, Im looking at getting

LiteOn 165P6SX
Sony 810UL
Samung External…still researching.

and maybe a LiteOn 5239S external CD burner. What can you tell me about that, I see you have one in your list?

Plextor looks complicated with its Plextools. I dunno.

Cheers! :flower:[/QUOTE]

Woohoo, sounds like you’re doing good so far :cool:

You won’t be able to scan with the HP/LG (as you probably know), but the 165P6SX/160P6S will be excellent scanners at 8x. :iagree:

As for the Litey CD-RW…it’s a really good drive for scanning CDR/RW media (as the Litey DVD burners aren’t that good at it), and mine burns really nicely, never had a problem with it, and I’ve had it a few years now :slight_smile: