Recommend Software Please

I need some suggestions for some software. I currently use DVD shrink, DVD Fab Decrypter and ImageBurn for making backups of DVDs. Those programs work OK for me. But I need software to capture TV movies to DVD. I have a couple of simple programs that came with my Hauppage TV card. NanoEdit and Ulead Movie Factory 2SE. I don’t need sophisticated edit capability, I just want to remove commercials. NanoEdit is OK, but very difficult to get the cut points. I just tried a newer version of Ulead Movie Factory 5 and it seems to combine the features of NanoEdit and the older Movie Factory.

I would appreciate any comments on Movie Factory and suggestions for other software that I should consider.

Thanks, jimbo

It’s been a long time since i did video capturing but when i do i’m going to use MediaPortal I like what i’ve read and it’s free. VideoRedo is supposed to be very good at removing commercials though again i haven’t used it yet. I read about these programs at videohelp.com and people seem to like them alot so you may want to check out that site as well.

Before we can make recommendations for this:[ol]
[li]Which Hauppauge card are you using[/li][li]Are you already using a particular software for capture[/li][li]Are you capturing analogue or digital TV transmissions?[/li][/ol]

DVD Movie Factory (DVDMF) has undergone a lot of positive changes since v.2, and is a pretty solid product now. However I suggest DVDMF4 is the better at the moment; DVDMF5 being only really useful if you need to edit high-definition content. Ulead themselves make this recommendation.

IIRC MediaPortal records in the MS-DRVS format (Microsoft MPEG2 but with the potential for DRM restrictions). I tried the earlier stable 0.1 version and couldn’t get on with it - you need to process the recordings and it’s a lot of messing about. The MediaPortal project started off really promising but they just can’t get the bugs out of v. 0.2.

IMO for DVB-T/S/C the best recording software is DVB Viewer. Not free but at 15 EUR it is astounding value for the level of functionality provided. Records the DVB stream without the significant glitches usually encountered.

IIRC MediaPortal records in the MS-DRVS format (Microsoft MPEG2 but with the potential for DRM restrictions). I tried the earlier stable 0.1 version and couldn’t get on with it - you need to process the recordings and it’s a lot of messing about. The MediaPortal project started off really promising but they just can’t get the bugs out of v. 0.2.

I didn’t know about that format. I was hoping it was a straight mpeg2. I may have to re-think this one. There’s no way in hell i’m going to have anything i’m recording for myself DRM’ed.

Yes, I also thought it is a disappointing side to MediaPortal.

Thanks for the reply. My card is the WinTV-PVR-250. The capture software is the WinTV2000 which came with the card. The source is just analog cable TV.

I will check out MF4. I currently have MF5 trial installed. It seems to do everything I want (and a lot more). And it includes an easy way to cut out commercials. I don’t need nanoEdit any more.

Thanks for any additional advice, jimbo