Recommend me an external DVD writer

I’m in the market of buying an external dvd writer for my notebook. Can anyone recommend me an external dvd burner? My budget is somewhere around $70.

Hi,

my personal favourite would be LG GE20NU (or GE20LU, which has additional Lightscribe). Avoid those slim drives, especially if they don’t come with a separate PSU shipped.

Michael

I have both a ASUS and Rosewill units they both work fine.

[QUOTE=brncao;2481653]I’m in the market of buying an external dvd writer for my notebook. Can anyone recommend me an external dvd burner? My budget is somewhere around $70.[/QUOTE]

I have this one and it works great on my laptop via USB. (Lite-ON eZAU422-08 with LightScribe)

How easy would it be to repair if a flash goes wrong? Think MTKFlash. Fixing an internal notebook dvd drive was impossible for me.

Edit: Will the USB 2.0 be the bottleneck or will the dvd drive be the bottleneck? If the DVD writer itself is slower than USB 2.0, then I might go with Bob’s recommendation.

I realize that external slimline drives are not recommended because they don’t perform as well, but what would you recommend for an external slimline drive. Am I better off getting an external drive (assembled) or getting a laptop slimline drive and an enclosure and putting together my own external drive?

I was looking at the LG GP08LU10 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136156&cm_re=lg_external--27-136-156--Product

Hi and Welcome!

I don’t recommend any external slim drive since these violate the USB specs and cause overloading of the USB port the drive is connected to. If you really want such a beast, get one you can connect a separate power supply to.

Michael