Recommend me a burner

vbimport

My Pioneer BDR-206DBKS has turned out to be rubbish for burning, so I am buying a new one. What would be a good burner for all types of media?

I just noticed that in this poll: http://club.myce.com/f142/best-bd-re-drive-2011-a-323406/ the BDR-206 is the top vote. I’ve tested mostly CDs and my drive is total crap for those. Is the BDR-206 really that much better?

Yo khorven-

I’m really surprised to hear someone say that their Pioneer 206 blu ray burner is rubbish - then say that they have ‘tested’ mostly CD’s and the drive is total crap for those.

What brand of CD-R disc do you burn? For what purpose? What speed do you use for burning? What ‘test’ are you using and what drive are you using to ‘test’ with?

Have you - in fact - burned any BD discs?

That you are having unfavorable results with a burner so many others love may possibly mean that it is not all the burners fault for the results-eh.

I use Verbatim media. I burn PS2 games. I burn at 24x speed for CDs. I test the burned games by playing them. I have never burned any BD discs. What happened when I was testing the drive was I tried ripping an original game (ICO) and burning the image, and I also burned an image of the same game which I got online. Both would load indefinitely after some initial cutscenes. A couple other games I burned also had issues (indefinite loading and freezing). An older Pioneer burner I used worked flawlessly but it’s possibly broken now (large amounts of water spilled on my PC when a water pipe broke, and when I turn the drive to one side I get a noise as if a small part is moving around) (I haven’t tried using the drive yet though) and I might want to burn BD discs soon which is why I upgraded. What do you think might be the problem?

Yo khorven-

Suggest trying Taiyo Yuden CD-R discs - the current Verbatim CD-R discs are ‘iffy’ at best-eh.

You mean they’re worse than they used to be? Are their DVDs and DVDDLs still good? What about BDs? http://www.amazon.com/Taiyo-Yuden-80min-700MB-Silver/dp/B003NYSZUW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332818347&sr=1-2 And for Taiyo Yuden, are these what you mean? The ones that have ‘JVC’ on them?

[QUOTE=khorven;2627786]You mean they’re worse than they used to be? Are their DVDs and DVDDLs still good? What about BDs? http://www.amazon.com/Taiyo-Yuden-80min-700MB-Silver/dp/B003NYSZUW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332818347&sr=1-2 And for Taiyo Yuden, are these what you mean? The ones that have ‘JVC’ on them?[/QUOTE]

Yo khorven-

Yup - those are the ones - and the JVC branded ones are also Taiyo Yudens.

As far as verbatim goes - unless they say ‘AZO’ dye on them - they are suspect-eh.

Where would it say ‘AZO’ dye?

Nevermind I did some googling. Well ***. I’ve burned so many verbs. Does the data on bad media get corrupted or can I just rip it off and it will be like new? Anyway I’ll start using Taiyo Yuden discs and let you know here if I have any more problems. Edit: Just found out that TY discs are a *** to get in Canada. blankmedia.ca is the only place I’ve found and they charge $15 shipping. For ***'s sake.

khorven,

in future, you want to use proper language, please. :cop:

Michael