Recommend DVD-R DL brands?

vbimport

Hi,
Can the experts here recommend a DVD-R DL brand to buy? I have an older standalone DVD player that only reads DVD-R media.

Also, I can’t understand why DVD-R DL is so hard to find… There are tons of brands with DVD+R DL. But, finding DVD-R DL is almost impossible…

Pls also recommend an online webstore that I can get it from.

Thx in advance…

[QUOTE=me4tux;2134176]Hi,
Can the experts here recommend a DVD-R DL brand to buy? I have an older standalone DVD player that only reads DVD-R media.

Also, I can’t understand why DVD-R DL is so hard to find… There are tons of brands with DVD+R DL. But, finding DVD-R DL is almost impossible…

Pls also recommend an online webstore that I can get it from.

Thx in advance…[/QUOTE]

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1791&Category_Code=DMDL

As recommended by NBK, I’d go with Verbatim -R DL - I’ve used these (along with Verbie +R DL) on a couple of players and they’ve worked a treat.

And the majority of our US members use Rima :iagree:

Verbatim +DL I get them from supermediastore
Booktype to DVD-ROM seems to work everywhere i have tried so far.

http://www.supermediastore.com/verbatim-95310-dvd-plus-r-double-layer-media-1-pack.html

If the player only reads DVD-R it probably won’t read DVD-R DL.

[QUOTE=bean55;2134211]Verbatim +DL I get them from supermediastore
Booktype to DVD-ROM seems to work everywhere i have tried so far.

http://www.supermediastore.com/verbatim-95310-dvd-plus-r-double-layer-media-1-pack.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks to all who replied. I will check out both rima and supermedia websites.

@bean55: How do you booktype to DVD-ROM when using say DVDFab software? I don’t recall there is an option to booktype a burn session… Any advice most appreciated.

[QUOTE=Sunshine12;2135770]If the player only reads DVD-R it probably won’t read DVD-R DL.[/QUOTE]

@sunshine12: Could you pls explain your comment?

I have always assumed that DVD-R and +R are different in the chemical film used to develop the silver compound or whatever it is called…

Perhaps I should just buy one blank and burn it and test…

Rima.com will send you a few blanks to test free of charge. Well they used to and i guess they still do. You can call their 800 number or email them.

What burner make/model are you using? Most all drives will already change bitsetting for +R DL. Bitsetting for SL (single layer) discs is a different story.

And yes there is a setting in DVDFab Gold/Plat for this (Common Settings > Write and near the bottom) but it depends on your burner to take advantage of it. Again we need to know what burner make/model you are using.

Bitsetting can only be applied to +R and +R DL discs. You cannot change -R or -R DL discs.

[QUOTE=Bob;2135813]Rima.com will send you a few blanks to test free of charge. Well they used to and i guess they still do. You can call their 800 number or email them.

What burner make/model are you using? Most all drives will already change bitsetting for +R DL. Bitsetting for SL (single layer) discs is a different story.

And yes there is a setting in DVDFab Gold/Plat for this (Common Settings > Write and near the bottom) but it depends on your burner to take advantage of it. Again we need to know what burner make/model you are using.

Bitsetting can only be applied to +R and +R DL discs. You cannot change -R or -R DL discs.[/QUOTE]

Bob, I have a LiteOn DH20A4P (ide i/f) in an external enclosure connected to my laptop via IEEE1394a.

Will Bitsetting solve what I intend to do? My old standalone DVD player (Onkyo) will only read DVD-R’s and only CD-RW’s (650Mb versions). The player will not even read CD-R’s.

So, I need a DL media which I can “fool” my player to read just like a DVD-ROM or like a DVD-R but dual layer.

me4tux

Check out the firmware update program here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-dh20a4p-h-fast-burn-enhanced-overspeed-enhanced-oht-firmware-new-231875/?referrerid=65105

If you are comfortable with updating firmware this could solve some problems.

[QUOTE=Bob;2135813]

Bitsetting can only be applied to +R and +R DL discs. You cannot change -R or -R DL discs.[/QUOTE]

Bob, I managed to apply bitsetting to the +R DL disc. However, my old Onkyo standalone DVD player didn’t read it.

The bitsetting worked, as it shows up as “DVD” on my other newer standalone DVD player.

Do you think a -R DL will work? or that DL media is just completely different from single layer DVD-R?

Search videohelp.com database for an answer.

[QUOTE=me4tux;2134176]Hi,
I have an older standalone DVD player that only reads DVD-R media.[QUOTE]

Gosh, how much could a [I]newer [/I]standalone DVD player cost? Is that out of your price range?:confused: With the money, time and energy you use to scour the web searching for DVD-R DLs you could buy yourself a latest generation Taiwanese player that plays everything… :slight_smile:

Or does that player have a sentimental value? :wink:

Soem truth in it. :wink:

[QUOTE=Aqualung;2149451][QUOTE=me4tux;2134176]Hi,
I have an older standalone DVD player that only reads DVD-R media.[/QUOTE]

Gosh, how much could a [I]newer [/I]standalone DVD player cost? Is that out of your price range?:confused: With the money, time and energy you use to scour the web searching for DVD-R DLs you could buy yourself a latest generation Taiwanese player that plays everything… :)[/QUOTE]

Indeed. It doesn’t seem worth the trouble looking around for expensive DVD-R DL media to accomodate one old player. Throw it out and get a new one, as they are ridiculously cheap these days.

[QUOTE=me4tux;2134176]Also, I can’t understand why DVD-R DL is so hard to find… There are tons of brands with DVD+R DL. But, finding DVD-R DL is almost impossible…[/QUOTE]

It’s hard to find because it never developed as a market standard in the same way that +R DL did. -R DL media is only popular in Japan. Outside of there, hardly anyone uses it, and frankly, no one else misses or needs it.

[QUOTE=Aqualung;2149451][QUOTE=me4tux;2134176]Hi,
I have an older standalone DVD player that only reads DVD-R media.

Gosh, how much could a [I]newer [/I]standalone DVD player cost? Is that out of your price range?:confused: With the money, time and energy you use to scour the web searching for DVD-R DLs you could buy yourself a latest generation Taiwanese player that plays everything… :slight_smile:

Or does that player have a sentimental value? :wink:

Yep. The player has sentimental value. First, it has 2 lasers. One for DVDs and one for CDs. This gives it better audio playability. It also has NTSC/PAL playback, 110/240V power plug. Has Karaoke MIC inputs with the ability to singalong with your fav regular CDs or DVDs. It is made by Onkyo. And, you can’t buy this anymore… reviewed highly by www.smr-forums.com

I rather sell it but I can’t…

My first DL purchase ever, was a -R DL Verbatim that I found in a small local shop here in Ireland. They cannot therefore be too hard to find.

Verbatim DVD-R DLs would, in any case, be my first and primary reccomendation to you for your equipment.

In addition, I have something that might be right up your street:
10 Pack Taiyo Yuden DVD-R DL.
http://cgi.ebay.com/That-s-Taiyo-Yuden-DVD-R-DL-10-Spindle-8X-Printable_W0QQitemZ350116208205QQihZ022QQcategoryZ158803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seller claims to be an American living in Japan, has taken up the business/sideline of selling Japanese media worldwide on eBay. I just ordered a 10 pack of That’s DVD-R DLs, primarily out of curiousity and also because I’m almost out of DLs.

I will try these and post a review here when I get them.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2149912]
In addition, I have something that might be right up your street:
10 Pack Taiyo Yuden DVD-R DL.
http://cgi.ebay.com/That-s-Taiyo-Yuden-DVD-R-DL-10-Spindle-8X-Printable_W0QQitemZ350116208205QQihZ022QQcategoryZ158803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Seller claims to be an American living in Japan, has taken up the business/sideline of selling Japanese media worldwide on eBay. I just ordered a 10 pack of That’s DVD-R DLs, primarily out of curiousity and also because I’m almost out of DLs.

I will try these and post a review here when I get them.[/QUOTE]

I’ve just bought some of these, thanks for the link :flower: