Recommend Blank DVD (-R). In UK

vbimport

Hello all,

I’ve been away of the forum for a full 6 years!

I’m hoping for a warm welcome - and some help.

Live in the UK. Need to buy some DVD-R’s - I’ve been out of touch - Please recommend what I should purchase and where from.

Don’t need them for Movies.

Data - system repair tools - installation media - boot tools etc. That’s what I have in mind.

Thanks, good to be back,

Amarz!

There should be a little stock of Taiyo Yuden (JVC/Taiyo Yuden) left. [TY ceased production of its own media at the end of 2015, with CMC acquiring manufacturing facilities. TY media made by CMC is just now beginning to reach retail, under a label of “CMC Pro powered by TY”, so there is no way to mistake old stock made by TY and new stock made by CMC. And if you missed it, JVC owned TY before hand, so you may see some media listed as JVC with the note that it was made in Japan - that is also Taiyo Yuden.]

Verbatim DVD-R media is also still good. (DataLifePlus guarantees AZO discs. If purchasing in person, and you see normal Verbatim packages, look for media with “AZO” printed on the package).

FTI (Falcon Tech) produces nice DVD media, using TDK’s technology with good results. (They were/are also a manufacturer of some of Verbatim’s media).

Glancing around (I’m not in the U.K.), I see that SVP still exists and has a decent selection of JVC/TY and Verbatim media. I also see a site by the name of CVB Media which has a decent selection, including select Falcon products.

Amazon is also a (generic) option.

[I don’t know which brick & mortar stores exist in your area, so I can’t provide any suggestion there.]

And welcome back. :slight_smile:

Chain store media can be a bit of a mix, fake codes, or lower rated media.

Or to take another example, Poundland…
Connect-it DVD+R = fake YUDEN000 T03 code (but error rate was ok)
Signalex DVD-R = CMC MAG AM3 (quite likely real) - claimed to be 8x, but code is 16x - now my strong recollection, and results from some Memorex CMC MAG AM3, are that it’s a very hit or miss media - some drives may like it at full speed, but very few do.

I may be maligning the Memorex somewhat, as it’s a part used pack that was in a charity shop, and may have been stored badly.

Anyway, Supermarket, or even big retail name brands, are no guarantee that what’s inside will be decent, so if you can source some respected name media, it’s probably better.

Are you sure on -R though, not sure if it still applies, but some drives tend to be better with -R, others with +R - always used to depend which camp the makers were originally in.

[QUOTE=Albert;2774404] …

Verbatim DVD-R media is also still good. (DataLifePlus guarantees AZO discs. If purchasing in person, and you see normal Verbatim packages, look for media with “AZO” printed on the package) …

…And welcome back. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for replying, and for your warm welcome.

I can only afford to make a single purchase - and at this stage - there should be good quality DVD-R media for normal prices. The TY’s are still extortionate - but clearly excellent.

I’m asking if you are sure about the AZo Verbatims - their quality and reliability. I don’t need long term archival - just hassle free burning and accuracy.

I took a look at these:

http://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en/prod/dvd-r-matt-silver-43548/

Are these reliable and accurate - can I use them for a few years with peace of mind. I don’t need archival grade top of the line DVD’s - I’m looking at business class rather than first class or economy - if you know what I mean.

Thanks again for your input,

Amarz

[QUOTE=Matth;2774414]Chain store media can be a bit of a mix, fake codes, or lower rated media.

Or to take another example, Poundland…
Connect-it DVD+R = fake YUDEN000 T03 code (but error rate was ok)
Signalex DVD-R = CMC MAG AM3 (quite likely real) - claimed to be 8x, but code is 16x - now my strong recollection, and results from some Memorex CMC MAG AM3, are that it’s a very hit or miss media - some drives may like it at full speed, but very few do.

I may be maligning the Memorex somewhat, as it’s a part used pack that was in a charity shop, and may have been stored badly.

Anyway, Supermarket, or even big retail name brands, are no guarantee that what’s inside will be decent, so if you can source some respected name media, it’s probably better.

Are you sure on -R though, not sure if it still applies, but some drives tend to be better with -R, others with +R - always used to depend which camp the makers were originally in.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for replying Matth,

I’m happy to shop online - I try and avoid chain stores - simply because it’s cheaper to buy online.

Can I ask you the same question about the Verbatims:

They are going for about £7.50 online (for non UK residents that may be reading this - a McDonalds extra value, big mac meal (large costs - £4.69 here in the UK).

For 50 discs - £7.50 - Verbatim DVD-R’s (AZO) - is there a better choice. I could go up to £10-12 for higher quality?

Thanks for your reply,

Amarz

Seems ok, you’ll find test runs under “Mitsubishi chemicals DVD-R” - coded MCC 03RG20.

Though apparently made by CMC?

For a comparison, check the “Fake Mitsubishi DVD-R” Tesco DVD-R is fake MCC 03RG20 (uncertain origin)

Matth - May I please ask if you can tell me what you buy and where you buy both DVD-R’s and DVD+R’s in the U.

I do not use the DVDs for archiving, but burning pc repair tools, installation media.

My drive works best with -R.

Varies, can’t resist playing around with the odd pack of bargain media.

In my stockpile at the moment, bought here and there…
25 pack Maxell DVD-R 16x, bargain for £3 clearance at B&M - I think it’s Ritek F1 (now Ritek is another “good to bad” case, the best can be decent, but the off brand ones can be suspect).

Discovered 3 10 packs of Philips DVD+R 16x, no idea where I got them - if the rcpt in the bag is right, Poundstretcher.

Just examined some of my other stock (hope it hasn’t gone bad).
Sure I have a stack of CMC MAG AE1 8x left over, think the box is buried somewhere in the box room (coolest room in the house).

My most precious media (and again, hope it hasn’t gone bad) is some old Fornet 2-4x CD-R - it’s definitely NOT good media, but seems to be more reflective than usual, works in a player that is very poor at accepting most other CD-R.

Also have some 4x media that I reserve for the HDD/DVD recorder, since it may drop to 1x if it has to re-encode

[QUOTE=Amarz;2774391]Hello all,

I’ve been away of the forum for a full 6 years!

I’m hoping for a warm welcome - and some help.

Live in the UK. Need to buy some DVD-R’s - I’ve been out of touch - Please recommend what I should purchase and where from.

Don’t need them for Movies.

Data - system repair tools - installation media - boot tools etc. That’s what I have in mind.

Thanks, good to be back,

Amarz![/QUOTE]
Isn’t there a Amazon in UK? You can use that to find the DVD media your looking for as well. Or try eBay as well…

[QUOTE=Amarz;2774555]Matth - May I please ask if you can tell me what you buy and where you buy both DVD-R’s and DVD+R’s in the U.

I do not use the DVDs for archiving, but burning pc repair tools, installation media.

My drive works best with -R.[/QUOTE]
If they have Amazon of UK why don’t you look there? Or ebay…??

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2774638]If they have Amazon of UK why don’t you look there? Or ebay…??[/QUOTE]

Naturally - I’ve looked at the usual suspects.

The Verbatim DVD-R’s that I mentioned in the previous post have arrived - made in India - Verbatim. Absolutely atrocious scans:

So, please, I ask again - for anyone in the UK - what ‘-’ media have you found worth purchasing/trusting and from where please. Online or offline.

Surely - it can’t just be buy TY or else?

[QUOTE=Amarz;2774755]Naturally - I’ve looked at the usual suspects.

The Verbatim DVD-R’s that I mentioned in the previous post have arrived - made in India - Verbatim. Absolutely atrocious scans:

So, please, I ask again - for anyone in the UK - what ‘-’ media have you found worth purchasing/trusting and from where please. Online or offline.

Surely - it can’t just be buy TY or else?[/QUOTE]

“atrocious” with which writer and and which speed? I’ve to admit I never had made in India Verbatims (except DLs), but the CMC and Prodisc made Verbatim MCC 03RG20 DVD-Rs were good over the years, and still are.

Would you like to post a scan and tell us how you burned it? What speed, etc etc?