Recommend a replacement for Pioneer 107D please!

My pioneer 107 is not reading discs im pretty sure its dead after just over a year so im looking to buy a replacement, not to sure in which direction to go.

I thinking of going for the Pioneer 109 or the NEC ND-3540A these seem to be the best burners on the market as far as i can tell and from the reviews ive read briefly.

I just wanted to know everyones opinon if i should go for one of these or if there any new models coming out soon???
Some help would be appreciated :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

How 'bout a BenQ DW1640?
//Danne

Does it make a weird noise when trying to recognize media and is it the same with CD and DVD media?

Hi :slight_smile:
The Pioneer 109 tends to run hot so good ventilation needed 109XL will run cooler with s/w NEC 3540 is a good solid drive with f/w from Liggy & Dee fast with bitsetting(this voids warranty)
BenQ 1640 fast / bitsetting & keep warranty
I have Pioneer 109XL NEC 3540 & BenQ 1640
So BenQ !st NEC second then last but no means least Pioneer

Hey my Liteon DVD-ROM does this. Makes a weird… crackly/grindy noise on some media and just refuses to read it, but other media is fine. All CD’s are fine, it’s just some DVD’s (most burnt DVD’s but some storebought as well).

Why, is this a known/fixable problem?

That’s a problem coming from the discs (burn quality).
You could try various patched firmwares from the codeguys if you want. :wink:

Does it make a weird noise when trying to recognize media and is it the same with CD and DVD media?

Yea it does when i put a blank disc in the drive it just will not recognise it and says insert disc. Ive read this and it is the exact same problem as i had:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=103168

Conclusion drive is dead >>>>>>certainty 95%. Kind of sux that it chose to not work just after the warranty had finished

How 'bout a BenQ DW1640?

Havent considered this drive will have a look

The Pioneer 109 tends to run hot so good ventilation needed 109XL will run cooler with s/w NEC 3540 is a good solid drive with f/w from Liggy & Dee fast with bitsetting(this voids warranty)

Ive got a external case so it should keep it cool. I going more towards not buying pioneer now as my current one only lasted a year which is pretty crap, didnt use it excessively.

BenQ DW1640 or the ?NEC are the two front runners after this post as i assume u guys know ure dvd burners :iagree:

Makaveli1

Oh i want a dual layer burner aswell#

both (benq 1640 and nec 3540) are dual layer

Yo-

Either the LiteOn 1693s or the NEC 3540 are good reasonable choices-

If you are in USA then www.newegg.com is probably the best vendor to get one from-

Mike

Hrm yeah I figured it was a quality problem with the discs, but since the DVD-ROM used to read them fine and now doesn’t…

Wouldn’t DW1640 be a better buy than ND3540, at least when I compared DW1640 seems superior and does not require a patched firmware which NEC’s drives does (no warrranty).
//Danne

possible replacements:
NEC3500
NEC3540
BenQ1620
BenQ1640

Why would you get an old drive such as ND-3500 and DW-1620?
//Danne

because for example the 3500 matches (check scans for yourself) same quality as the 3540 but can be attained cheaper. Most 3500 scans I did actually look better than the 3540.

older doesnt always mean better, but cheaper is ALWAYS better

Older products will also (in general) have shorter life time in terms of support etc…
//Danne

given that you buy it cheaper, sometimes close to half price, it is feasible in the end to buy two, so once one dies and you replace it the cost will be the same or very close to the same as buying a newer one in the first place.

Unless you care about quality of course, although all 4 above mentioned are so close who cares.

Also, DVD burners are so cheap now life span is probably anothe rone of those “who cares” caus eyou can buy a new one in a year or two, and even cheaper then.

support is not comparable as each company deals differently with customer care and we have no feedback yet on either competing brands, none I seen so far

Anyway, lets not jump off topic

Given the fact that NEC doesn’t do anything regarding firmwares (media support) except releasing one or two officially they’re quite bad compared to BenQ. Sure, Liggy and Dee hacks/patches firmwares but by installing you’ve voided your warranty. I would rather buy a burner with good support and pay the additional ~10 bucks (ND-3500 is even more expensive than ND-3540 here in Sweden) and support that company. Not to forget, BenQ is noticably better than NEC when it comes to copy protection.
//Danne

@DiiZzY
all of this is up to the buyer to consider and weigh as options

@makaveli1
What exactly will be your main purpose and what are you looking for?
This might also help others here make better suggestions for you.

The “content” integrity on media is changing …