Recommend a Nice Pair of Internal DVD/CD Burners!

Hello All. Here’s the backstory, sorry if it’s long-winded:

A few weeks ago, I decided to transfer all of my old media (30 years worth of LP’s, cassettes, CD’s) into Digital Format to be stored on some external HD’s.
I found a few good audiophile sites that explained how to best transfer and clean up the media with minimum signal degradation, as close to audiophile quality transfer as I can get.
I have studied. :iagree:
And still have a ways to go, but I’m getting there.

I bought a new soundcard (M-Audio 1010lt)
I downloaded EAC (Exact Audio Copy), ASIO 2, FLAC lossless, and Winamp, all to help keep the data stream clean and uncorrupted.
I now want to get a new pair of burners as the last (I think) link in the chain before getting underway with this whole thing.
My tower used to sit in an area that collected a LOT of dust.
Even though my Lite-On still works fine, I would probably opt for replacing it as I know how much dust it -has- seen (a lot).
The tower now sits in a very clean environment, so we can start off fresh.

My requirements are aimed at audiophile-quality AUDIO (CD) transfer.
I am not a gamer, and don’t really watch movies on my computer that much.
BUT I don’t want to rule out that I might get into movies later, so I do want a nice DVD burner, but the priority is on the Audio portion.

A few questions: I listed my machine below, as I read elsewhere here on the forum that although my present burner (Lite-On) is IDE, that my MOBO may possibly in fact have SATA capability, in which case, I think I’d probably opt for the SATA? Can anyone tell me by looking at my MOBO specs if it would have SATA-ability?

Also, maybe not 2 of the same burners, maybe a high-grade CD burner with a sweet audio section, then a good DVD/CD burner as well to compliment, but both would work together well?

Please offer your best suggestions, I have read many of the reviews here, but still seem to change my mind almost every day.

Thanks a million, please help!

SYSTEMAX ASCENT
2.4 GB AMD ATHALON PROCESSOR 3400+
MOBO: K8M800-8237
WINDOWS XP PRO / SP2
Motherboard K8M800 K8VGA-M
1GB DDR400 PC3200 MEMORY (512MB X 2)
SEAGATE BARRACUDA HD 250GB (7200RPM)
LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-1635S BURNER 16X DVD-/+R/RW DUAL LAYER
SEAGATE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE 80 GB
CYBERLINK BURN SOFTWARE (CAME BUNDLED)

In your quest to find the best way to do the project, did you look at Acoustica? If not-go to their site and take a look. They offer a great set of tools to do the conversion. Also take a look at www.jffdj.com - he is a professional DJ (friend of mine too) with some very useful links.
Now to your question: I have been using Sony DRU820 drives for a while and have no complaints. There are many opinions on this site about what is best. However, I have yet to have any Sony drive fail to perform. I might add that I too have a collection dating back to the late '50s and fully understand what you are attempting to do.
Good luck and Happy Holidays

I agree that Sony is a good option, or even Pioneer. I also recommend LG only cause I own one or more of the stated drives.

Thanks!

I had been looking at the Sony DRU840 as one of my options, and (maybe) the Plextor 240A as the second burner (cd only).

Not very much information on the Plextor out there.

But maybe I’ll just get two Sony’s and call it a day.

A Plextor would be a good idea if you can find one.

For the other, I’d recommend Samsung or the newest Pioneer drive (the 115D).

BTW, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Just wanted to reply and let you know I decided to buy 2 LiteOn LH-20A1P’s, hope they work out OK :).

I chose them since:
They seem to get solid write-ups and very few complaints (dependable)
The company seems solid
The prices are good
My PC already has a Lite-On as OEM, so I shouldn’t run into any compatibility issues trying to install them
Running two of the same model should make firmware upgrades easier
Running two of the same model should lessen any chance of incompatability issues running them together (one would think).

Most of the other models always seem to have an Achilles heel somewhere…Plextor drives aren’t really genuine Plextor anymore, Sony has some mischevious behavior practices, Pioneers (from what I read) can be finicky and picky, and I need easy install, easy use here.

So… you think I chose OK? :clap:

[QUOTE=Drak-1;1960328]
So… you think I chose OK? :clap:[/QUOTE]

Sure - I have the 20A1H and I like it. I don’t use it as my main burner, mainly for ripping, but burn quality is very good so I could if I wanted to. Liteys are also my preferred quality scanners :wink:

Plus there’s all the groovy C0deKing firmware and tweaks to play with if you’re so inclined :smiley:

Thanks for the reply.

If I could ask a (noob) question:

I was looking on the front page this morning, and there is a section there to vote for the way one uses their DVD burner most often.

The choices were: to back up DVD’s, to back up games, and to burn home movies.
I don’t watch many DVD’s on my PC.
I don’t do games that often.
I don’t shoot home movies at all.

My main function is primarily AUDIO based.
To burn audio discs more often than not, as in a DAW situation.

I was/am looking for 2 burners that have high (dare I use the term audiophile?) quality to them, with the video section being more of a decent afterthought.

But this seems to run contrary to the popular usage here on this forum, which specializes in burners.

I’m still open to suggestions for a burner that has excellent scores in the audio department while being at least decent in the video sections.

I would still listen to suggestions for this application.

Initially, I was going to ask this question over at a Home Studio forum, since the application fits that parameter, but this place seems to specialize in burners, so I decided to ask here instead.

But looking at the front page, I’m not sure anyone here actually uses burners the way I would use them (for audiophile based audio apps).

Would you suggest a different burner based on this info?

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Regarding the voting options, I kinda know what you mean: I use mine mainly for data backup, but the option’s not there! :doh:

To be honest, as DVD burners, I’d pick the LiteOns as you’ve chosen…but…

The audio thing is why I said Plextor (model 760 or before for DVD burner [those are proper Plexes], or any Plex CD-RW drive)…having said that, if a real Plextor is a pain to find, you may also try an LG CD-RW drive - I find mine burns audio (at 16x) with pretty low jitter.

Regarding audio CDs, Samsung DVD drives are pretty good for this also, and maybe an easier option for you to find. :wink:

Thanks again for the reply.

That brings up another interesting question, i.e. buying refurbed drives.

I have looked into finding a Plextor 760A, this seems to be ‘the one’, or at least the last in line of the ‘good ones’ from what I’ve read around here, (please feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here).

I was wondering what the general consensus was around here regarding buying a refurbed burner, good experiences, bad, OK, stay away?
I could easily hold out for a nice refurbed 760 if it is a generally accepted OK practice to do.
Not sure if buying a refurbed Plextor that it would come bundled with the Plex package of diagnostic tools, I find that probably doubtful, and that seems a big reason why people like them to begin with.

Do I have my order of operations below correct, or do I need some schoolin’? :slight_smile:

Master tray = read out tray = scanner tray = pre-recorded CD tray
Slave tray = burner tray = blank media tray
Master ‘reads out’, or ‘scans’ to the Slave, which burns new disc.
Correct, or the other way round?

Hmmm, TBH I’m not sure, never bought a refurb drive. Saying that, plenty of folk have bought used Plexes off eBay I think (might wanna wait for more answers there).

I think as an audiophile you could probably make use of Plextor’s bundled tools, though, so keeping an eye out for a new one may be the way to go, unless someone who knows Plextors better advises you otherwise :slight_smile:

Good choice on the 760, getting a new 760SA (SATA) myself - when it arrives in the mail hehe.

The way you’ve decided to connect them is usually the way I do it :iagree: but others may say otherwise.

I wound up switching my order a little, I ordered a Pioneer DVR115DBK and a Lite-On LH20A1H.

I will stay on the lookout for a 760 and see what happens.

Thanks for the input. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Drak-1;1962349]I wound up switching my order a little, I ordered a Pioneer DVR115DBK and a Lite-On LH20A1H.

Thanks for the input. :)[/QUOTE]Nice :slight_smile: The Pioneer DVR115DBK looks like a great burner so far. The 20A1H will scan your burns if needed and burns pretty good also plus it has Lightscribe if your interested in that.

[QUOTE=Drak-1;1962349]I wound up switching my order a little, I ordered a Pioneer DVR115DBK and a Lite-On LH20A1H.

Thanks for the input. :)[/QUOTE]

Really nice pairing. I have both and they complement each other really well (I’d use the Pioneer for the audio CDs) :slight_smile:

Hi,

for audio CD applications, I would have chosen a Pioneer paired with a Samsung 20x series drive. Both P-ATA since the SATA controller integrated into the VIA chipset does not do well with optical drives.
Liteon DVD writers are only average CD burners :frowning:

[QUOTE=Drak-1;1960638]
Do I have my order of operations below correct, or do I need some schoolin’? :slight_smile:

Master tray = read out tray = scanner tray = pre-recorded CD tray
Slave tray = burner tray = blank media tray
Master ‘reads out’, or ‘scans’ to the Slave, which burns new disc.
Correct, or the other way round?[/QUOTE]What drive is connected as master, and which as slave doesn’t matter. (Some drives like Pioneers prefer being installed as Master). Also, I would not “copy on the fly”, but record onto the HDD at first, and then burn the disc. That said, use the drive which is the better reader for reading and the better burner for burning, regardless of its master/slave setting.
And don’t forget: modern drives need an 80wired IDE cable.

Michael

yeah that’s why i bought a couple Plextor Premiums for CD burning.