Recommend a DVD Writer

Hey there,

Well I’m getting rid of the LiteOn LH-20A1P I got because of its loudness. Some of the loudness was due to the case but its still too loud.

Can you recommend another IDE DVD Writer?

For me the #1 priority is quality burns on DVD-R/DVD+R media and more importantly DVD+R DL, then the loudness of the drive but if I can get a drive that is both quiet and does quality burns then that’d be great. Quality writing on cheap media would also be a plus for me. I also like the custom firmwares out there. Enjoyed c0dekings firmwares for the LiteOns.

I’ve looked at the following so far:

LG GSA-H44N
NEC Optiarc AD-7173A
Pioneer DVR-112
Pioneer DVR-112D
Samsung SH-S202

Can media be burnt at speeds higher than the rated speed for the discs with the above drives like I can with my LiteOn?

Apart from missing RAM burning on the Pioneer DVR-112D, is it worse than the DVR-112?

Any recommendations? If so, let me know why you recommend it?

Thanks!

Hi :slight_smile:
Taking into account your reasons for getting rid of the Lite-On.
I would go with the Pioneer DVR-112D.
Quiet, smooth, with quality burns with most media.

I was going to recommend LiteOn , but seems you are already replacing it .
You can look for the new model 20A4P which some members report not to be loud , but from the drives above I can only recommend Pioneer 112 , 112D just has RAM support disabled via firmware and you can crossflash it although hat would void the warranty

LG H44N is good but writing quality is medicore and jitter is high (from what I saw in the reviews)
NEC Optiarc is a piece of crap , I borrowed the 7170S for testing and immediately returned it .

Some may recommend the Samung 202 , but from my experience with 203B it is not that good of a burner although it is an excellent reader (fast too) and awesome CD-R burner (I will keep it for these reasons alone)

High speed burning is not recommended by most member (me included) but if you badly need it , look nowhere else than LiteOn 20Axx burners :iagree:

Which drive gets more firmware updates? 112 or 112D or are they updated equally by Pioneer and custom firmware hackers?

Also, is the quality scanning reliable on the 112 drives and is the PI spikes issue really that bad?

[QUOTE=SSJ4 Vegetto;1926926]Which drive gets more firmware updates? 112 or 112D or are they updated equally by Pioneer and custom firmware hackers?

Also, is the quality scanning reliable on the 112 drives and is the PI spikes issue really that bad?[/QUOTE]

There is a thread here on the forums that talks about the Pioneer 112 and the PIF spikes. They are a concern for future readability. The spikes may make the DVD unreadable.

I believe this doesnt happen when burning at a safer speed (8X,12X).

Yeah, the Pioneer PIF spikes are putting me off and the slow write speeds compared to the LiteOns.

I might just get a LiteOn DH-20A3P or DH-20A4P if they are more quiet than the LH-20A1P.

I would pick the LG over Pioneer. Or pick Samsung SH-S203B.

Also take into consideration whether you are dual layer media user or not.

if you use dual layer media I would probably recommend the Pioneer or LiteOn.

If you want best DL burning get a Plextor 760A/SA or 755SA.

[QUOTE=geekrule;1927871]If you want best DL burning get a Plextor 760A/SA or 755SA.[/QUOTE]

This drive does better dual layer burning than the Pioneer DVR-112D?

Could you post a scan please?

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe!

I agree the liteon does make a bit of vibration. I have a compaq case here and I resolved the noise issue somewhat but useing 4 rubber insulators to dampen the vibration . STEVE

The Pioneer DVR-115D is on the horizon so I’ll probably get that or the Liteon DH-20A4P.