Recommend a dvd burner for my LAPTOP

The burner for my laptop is stuffed. It’s a Sony VGP-DRWBX1. It won’t recognise or burn cds although it’s fine with dvds. I’m in the UK and I cannot find another of these burners. I phoned Sony who recommend that I pay £360 and send the laptop to them so that they can pop out the drive and pop in a new one. They will not send the drive to me in the post - something I’m not very happy about.

So, I’m looking for a drive that will fit in my Sony Vaio VGNBX197XP. The difficulty seems to be the dimensions of the drive. Dimensions of the existing drive are: -

Width 13.1cm
Depth 14.5cm
Height 1.7cm

Other drives don’t seem to be these dimensions. Can anyone suggest something?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=oberon1970;1965770]The burner for my laptop is stuffed. It’s a Sony VGP-DRWBX1. It won’t recognise or burn cds although it’s fine with dvds. I’m in the UK and I cannot find another of these burners. I phoned Sony who recommend that I pay £360 and send the laptop to them so that they can pop out the drive and pop in a new one. They will not send the drive to me in the post - something I’m not very happy about.

So, I’m looking for a drive that will fit in my Sony Vaio VGNBX197XP. The difficulty seems to be the dimensions of the drive. Dimensions of the existing drive are: -

Width 13.1cm
Depth 14.5cm
Height 1.7cm

Other drives don’t seem to be these dimensions. Can anyone suggest something?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Have you tried to contact various after market DVD makers to see if their slim drive will fit in your laptop? That would be one way to go find and contact various makers of those slim drive to see if they will fit into your laptop. But search the net for your particular laptop for replacement DVD drives is also a source you can look at. But is there anyway you can take the drive out or be able read model tag on the DVD drive to get a more exact model spec of the DVD drive as that would help the other users figure out what might best suite your replacement as well???

On the drive it just says it’s a VGP-DRWBX1. I had to get the dimensions from the internet as I was told that all these drives are different sizes. It seems that mine is more different than most.

Do you mean I should contact other drive manufacturers? Can you suggest any good ones?

Most places I have contacted have said that they don’t supply components for laptops but I can send the laptop to them and they’ll mend it for me. I’m a bit peeved at this as I know I can do it myself (the drive is designed for this) and avoid the substantial extra cost as well as the inconvenience of being without my machine.

It’s most frustrating!

You will have to modifiy your case insert cartridge. Go with Optiarc for your drive for your new drive will have to be inserted into the old case and put into your laptop. Go to Optiarc.com and see the different options.

Is your laptop still in warranty?

No, it’s out of warranty. That’s another thing. It seemed to be a great idea getting a machine with a great big 17" screen but on reflection it’s bulky. The last thing I want is to have to carry round an external burner making it even less mobile. And of course the burner is an odd size. WHat;s annoying is that the burner is stuffed and I’ve hardly used it. It just doesn’t seem right!

I’ve taken the drive out of it’s casing and it seems that the drive is actually a Sony DW-Q58A in a housing to make it fit the machine. Can anyone help here? I need to replace it with something and everyone I ask says that I should only replace it with the same model. I have to say that as this one has gotten stuffed so easily I would far rather replace it with a better quality burner.

Even the Sony esupport portal won’t let me send a query to them to ask about it. What on earth is going on with Sony? What kind of after sales is this? Everybody seems to say the same - that their experience has been that service has been poor.

[QUOTE=oberon1970;1968531]I’ve taken the drive out of it’s casing and it seems that the drive is actually a Sony DW-Q58A in a housing to make it fit the machine. Can anyone help here? I need to replace it with something and everyone I ask says that I should only replace it with the same model. I have to say that as this one has gotten stuffed so easily I would far rather replace it with a better quality burner.

Even the Sony esupport portal won’t let me send a query to them to ask about it. What on earth is going on with Sony? What kind of after sales is this? Everybody seems to say the same - that their experience has been that service has been poor.[/QUOTE]

Where ever drive you buy will be a bare drive and put it into the cartridge and slid it in.