Recommend a drive

vbimport

I’m fed up with my Asus drive. It’s given me loads of problems, and it’s time to dump it and buy something decent. After fighting with it for hours yesterday to get a firmware upgrade on, it’s started crapping out ripping on EAC, just like it did on my previous motherboard. It managed a CD and got 7 tracks into the next before it hit the skids, and currently it can’t even play a single track.

I’d previously bought it with no research…

I’ve now come to the conclusion that I don’t have the time, patience or nerves to deal with any nonsense from an optical drive any more, so I’ll buy my way out of the problem :stuck_out_tongue: Ironically it had problems with not just one, but two completely different Asus motherboards… the company that ‘made’ the drive.

I’m not looking for the drive that burns the best quality - although it’ll need to be at least ‘decent’. What I’m looking for is a good all rounder that doesn’t spit the dummy because it’s on the same SATA channel as something else, or because it’s on AHCI mode or IDE mode, from a manufacturer that creates firmware upgrades that work…

In other words I want a problem free DVD burner.

I have zero interest in HD DVD.

£100 is the limit (and should be far far more than it needs).

Thanks, in advance!

Thought I’d give this a bump, and see if I could get a recommendation.

If you can still find a Samsung SH-S203x drive, I’d jump on it :wink:

Excellent readers/rippers and burners, you can also patch Sammy firmware to suit your needs using C0deKing’s patch utility.

Aside from Samsung, Optiarc and Pioneer are good choices too IMO. :slight_smile:

I just had a Samsung SH-203x die on me after 6 months use. Returned to Newegg and they dont have them anymore. Any suggestions where to find one of them??

I did come across a Plextor considerably more expensive than the rest of the pack of drives - PX-830UF. I’m happy to pay more for a drive if it’s of better quality.

I came across this which has a model number of SAM-SH-S203-B.

Also this which is an S202 rather than 203

And finally a SAMSUNG SATA SH-S203N the shop doesn’t link well. It apparently is a retail pack and comes with a black bezel. I believe that is the particular model that you mentioned Arachne?

I’d be interested to know what colour the drive is, since I can get it as OEM bare, rather than pay extra for Nero and bezels. If it’s black then it’d be ideal as OEM.

I have the 203N and I’m very pleased with it (had it for a year now). :slight_smile:

Mine was OEM and came in black.

Edit: Just to clarify, the Plextor you mentioned isn’t a “true” Plextor. It’s a rebadge of another drive (I forget which one at the minute).

Right, an OEM 203N it is then. Thanks very much :slight_smile:

If this isn’t too cheeky, would you be able to recommend some lightscribe media for it? Again I’d rather pay over the odds than have problems.

Hehe, not a problem - enjoy your drive when it arrives! :slight_smile:

I use Verbatim LS discs, both CDR and DVD R. They work well, and your Sammy should like the DVD+R variety (MCC004).

Alright, so I’m looking for MCC004s, and I need to make sure they are Lightscribe 1.2 (I picked that up somewhere I think).

I’m now starting to have second thoughts :slight_smile:

I later realised that Plextor is an external drive, connecting by USB or Firewire.

I have 4 OCZ Vertex SSD drives on pre-order, and when they arrive they will be going into RAID0. The chances are they will not work well on motherboard RAID so a hardware RAID card will be installed.

However the motherboard will be RAIDing up some combination of large capacity mechanical drives.

The long and the short of that is that I’m concerned with that going on sticking a SATA burner on either controller could lead to problems, likewise adding a cheapo third controller could cause conflicts. I do have an Adaptec 1430SA lying around, but I’d rather sell that than use it for a single SATA optical drive. It’s also not really intended for optical drives.

So now I’m thinking external drive connected by USB or Firewire would completely prohibit any IDE/SATA type problems.

I’ve never even looked at an external drive before, so I’ve no idea if they’re pretty much universally problem free, or if they are the root of all evil…

Procrastination at work :slight_smile:

Any 16x Verbatim disc (LS or otherwise) will be MCC004, so no need to look too hard :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, what are the chipsets on the add-on RAID card you have, and your mobo itself?

I ask because I have an Intel chipset on my mobo, and it’s running in RAID mode. Both my optical drives (the Sammy and an Optiarc AD-5170S) play very well with it.

However, if it’s external you’re considering as well…how about the Sammy SE-204x? A few people here have bought these recently, and seem pleased with them. :slight_smile:

I don’t have the add on RAID card yet. If and when I do buy one it’ll likely be an Adaptec 5805 or 5405. Those use Intel 348 IOPs at 1200mhz as processors.

The card I have around just now is an Adaptec 1430SA, which is just a hybrid RAID card, rather than hardware.

The motherboard is an Asus M3A79-T Deluxe board, which has an AMD790FX/SB750 chipset. The previous board was an Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe board which had an nForce 4 chipset (the 2x16 one). The Asus optical drive I’ve had issues with had issues on both boards.

I’ve done a great deal of research on SSD drives since there’s not a lot of information available on new tech, and through that I’ve uncovered a lot of people’s problems with RAID, multiple controllers and the like. I’m just sick to the back teeth of problems with an Optical drive. No offence intended at all to you guys, but it’s not an important part of my system. I burn the odd DVD or CD, but that’s really it. I do need the functionality of an optical drive, I just don’t need the hassle :slight_smile: So what I’m trying to achieve is a problem free solution, so that once it’s done I can forget all about optical drives and focus on getting the Phenom II that arrives tomorrow up to a decent overclock, getting my head around fitting an AquaAero to monitor and control the watercooling, and getting the best from what should be up to 800MB potential read speed of a hard drive array.

I would say that an external ODD may be the most problem-free way to go, then :slight_smile:

I went ahead and ordered the 203N. It arrived today, except they sent me a 223N instead. Typical.

Doh! I hate when that happens.

Well, some folk here like their 223x’s, so hopefully the drive will work well for you. It didn’t do too well in some areas of the CDF review, though (the 223F, that is. Perhaps the 223N performs a little differently ;)).

[QUOTE=Arachne;2193524]If you can still find a Samsung SH-S203x drive, I’d jump on it :wink:

Excellent readers/rippers and burners, you can also patch Sammy firmware to suit your needs using C0deKing’s patch utility.

Aside from Samsung, Optiarc and Pioneer are good choices too IMO. :)[/QUOTE] Sawa Samsung Sh-203N on amazon, comparable?

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2208544]Sawa Samsung Sh-203N on amazon, comparable?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that’s what I have myself - very nice drive, both for burning and reading :iagree:

They’re hard to come by now, so I’d grab it!

[QUOTE=Arachne;2208556]Yeah, that’s what I have myself - very nice drive, both for burning and reading :iagree:

They’re hard to come by now, so I’d grab it![/QUOTE]
I just picked up a used one for US$20.00 w/ shipping. There were also 2 new ones for $29.00 & $36.00 shipping not included.

Nice find :slight_smile: