Recommend a Cannon printer

vbimport

I’m thinking about buying a Cannon printer. I will use this printer mainly for CD/DVD, photo printing and little scanning. Can you recommend a Cannon printer that can be modified to print on CD/DVD with good photo printing and have a scan function?

I have a question regarding the CD/DVD printing function of the Cannon Printer. Can I get the inner circle the right down to 18 mm? From what I have heard, it only go down to 33 mm. Is this true?

I have an Epson RX580 and it just dies on me. It will not print black color and I have performed the head clean once or twice a day for the last 7 days now and it stills no black ink coming out. I’m using the refillable tank and ink from Alotofthing.com. Everything was working fine after the initial ink filling. Then after the second ink refill, it works for couple prints then black ink just disappears. I’m not sure if ink is the cause for this or Epson just prone with the head clog that won’t go away. Anyway, I’m getting tired of the Epson RX580. It pretty much requires a head clean every week (even with the original Epson ink) regardless of how often I use. Each head cleaning cycle uses at least 1/8 to 1/10 of the tank. It just uses too much ink to clean the head.

Thanks,
Danny

Any disc-capable Canon will print discs from 17mm to 118mm.

The Canon MP610 is probably the best value, and uses the same print engine as the IP-4500. That would be my recommendation if you want a scanner. It can be modded for disc printing, as can the IP-4500.

Thanks CDan.

What compatable ink are you using for your IP4500 and where do you get them?

Thanks again for your help.

I currently don’t use compatible ink tanks in the IP-4500, as they do not come with chips, and there’s no way to re-set chips on Canon tanks. This means you have to completely disable ink monitoring to use refills or compatibles.

Chip re-setters are just starting to show up in Europe, but results are not known AFAIK. So far, nobody has been able to make a compatible Canon chip.

Canon has the best “draft” mode results I’ve ever seen, and I use it a lot to stretch the ink out.

CDan, this is why I consider myself lucky having an ip5000.
I use Jet tech carts that cost about £2:00 each from SVP and give very good results. I used to buy other makes for £0:75 but don’t mind spending a little more for peace of mind.

[QUOTE=weedougie;2063556]CDan, this is why I consider myself lucky having an ip5000.
I use Jet tech carts that cost about £2:00 each from SVP and give very good results. I used to buy other makes for £0:75 but don’t mind spending a little more for peace of mind.[/QUOTE]

I treasure the iP4000, MP780, i960 and i9100 Canon printer we have because they use the BCI-6 cartridges I buy for $1.59 each. I’ll keep them running as long as possible. I also have a Canon N2000 with dual paper trays that uses 80 ml color ink tanks and a whopping 130 ml black ink tank that I pick up for $15 each. It is a workhorse of a printer. My ink costs are negligible and I don’t have to fool with chipped cartridges.

My Epson R260 just died on me for the 3rd time. (Won’t print dark cyan.) I’m about to buckle down and just buy a Canon. Thank you all for your tips in this thread.

im having troubles with my canon ip4500, (bad printhead, but canon is sending me a new one) but before that i loved this printer. I also modified it to print on dvd. great printer.

Not at the consumer level, but there are chip resetters out there. I understand that they cost in the neighborhood of $700 so you’d have to be using a LOT of cartridges to make one pay for itself. Even if you reset the cartridge, the newer Canon printers (I have an MP970) remember the serial numbers of the empty cartridges they’ve seen so simply resetting them isn’t enough unless you can change the serial number, too. Otherwise, the printer still knows it was once an empty cart and will handle it as a refill (void printer warranty and loss of ink monitoring). At the cost of printers today, I’m not worried about voiding the warranty, but I do like the ink monitoring system.

Cartridge World sells reset and refilled Canon cartridges. I haven’t used them yet but may since they have a store near where I work. I don’t think you save that much, though, over buying brand new Canon carts. As long as I never get one of my own cartridges back, my printer should never balk at the refilled and reset carts.

To the original question, I don’t have any problem with my MP970. It cost about $150 six months ago, scans well and has been modified to print on CDs ($20 for an eBay CD tray). This is a home printer that doesn’t get a huge amount of use so I can’t complain about ink costs (yet).

Ray

[QUOTE=UTR;2063675]I treasure the iP4000, MP780, i960 and i9100 Canon printer we have because they use the BCI-6 cartridges I buy for $1.59 each. I’ll keep them running as long as possible. I also have a Canon N2000 with dual paper trays that uses 80 ml color ink tanks and a whopping 130 ml black ink tank that I pick up for $15 each. It is a workhorse of a printer. My ink costs are negligible and I don’t have to fool with chipped cartridges.[/QUOTE]

I bought one of my son’s an ip5000 and he knackered the head! I managed to purchase a new head for £30 delivered and I thought that was money well spent.
Only took moments to fit and the results were back to outstanding.
I’ve advised the young un what will happen if he abuses the printer again.:a

[QUOTE=NOTS3W;2068470]
Cartridge World sells reset and refilled Canon cartridges. I haven’t used them yet but may since they have a store near where I work. I don’t think you save that much, though, over buying brand new Canon carts. As long as I never get one of my own cartridges back, my printer should never balk at the refilled and reset carts.

Ray[/QUOTE]

My local Cartridge World will reset/refill my tanks, or sell me a re-filled one for $9 US. Since I can get Canon tanks for $10, it’s not worth it to me to go their route. They must have gotten around the “issue” of tank serial numbers, cause they offer to refill my own.

[QUOTE=weedougie;2068499]I bought one of my son’s an ip5000 and he knackered the head! I managed to purchase a new head for £30 delivered and I thought that was money well spent.
Only took moments to fit and the results were back to outstanding.
I’ve advised the young un what will happen if he abuses the printer again.:a[/QUOTE]

The iP5000 is an outstanding printer. Buying a replacement head is less than the saving I see on one set of OEM cartridges verses the compatibles I use and is well worth the expense. I’ll keep my BCI-6 based printers for as long as I can keep them running. In fact, I snoop around on ebay for these printers to keep as parts donors or replacement machines if one should go bad. So far they are all running just fine.

Good to know about Cartridge World. But I agree, saving $1 is hardly worth it. I use CLI-8 carts (and one PGBK). I bought a spare set when I bought my printer just in case they ran out quickly. $10 is a good price. Where do you get yours?

[QUOTE=NOTS3W;2068618]Good to know about Cartridge World. But I agree, saving $1 is hardly worth it. I use CLI-8 carts (and one PGBK). I bought a spare set when I bought my printer just in case they ran out quickly. $10 is a good price. Where do you get yours?[/QUOTE]

Amazon sells the 4-pack, (B-C-M-Y), for $39. The PGI-5 black comes in 2-packs which are $27.

If one needs the PM, PC, red and green, there’s an 8-pack for $77.

Is there away to increase the outer ring to more than 118mm? I have lots of Verbatim DVD 119mm X 21mm. Again thank you for all of your input.

You can’t do it with the default Canon printer software. I use the Acoustica DVD Labeler software which allows me to do it with Watershields.

Is there away to increase the outer ring to more than 118mm? I have lots of Verbatim DVD 119mm X 21mm. Again thank you for all of your input.[/QUOTE]

As stated, you’ll need different software. Verbatim is the only media that justifies the 119mm setting. Surething is another very popular software. Additional note: Watersheild discs are not printable to 119mm. The white area goes to 119, but the printable coating only goes to 118.

So the 118mm is the limitation of the software, not the printer. Am I thinking right?

Thanks again