Recomendations on new computer build

Okay so, this will be my first diy computer and I wanted something that could last me for a while and be upgradeable in the future.

So far I have:

Asus p5e3 premium
intel core 2 quad 6600
OCZ DDR3 1333mHz 4x1gb
Thermaltake V1
thermaltake armor case
gameXstream psu

Looking for advice on graphics card. My budget leaves about $270. Thanks for the help and if you have any suggestions for different items that I have already chosen please let me know.

I believe DDR3 will be the new standard so that is why I went with the RAM and motherboard; however, I am having doubts about DDR3.

My budget is 1200-1300 if that helps any.

I also was looking into a 64bit system. not sure if I want to go to vista or stay with xp. I have 32bit xp now and it works great.

I dont believe that the asus motherboard has HDMI compatibility and I would really like that. If you have any other suggestions on a motherboard that I could use for top end gaming and as a media center let me know.

Yeah DDR3 is tempting but not quite there yet, maybe the end of '09 they’ll have low latency and good prices, but for now DDR2 is the way to go.

Here’s a suggested parts list, $886 not including case, monitor, keyboard/mouse, OS.

BFG Tech GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT 550W ATX12V V2.3
pqi TURBO 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz, the Q6600 is outdated and most games still don’t use 4 cores, it would be a waste of power unless your going to do a lot of video processing (not dvd ripping).

As for the CPU cooler, check out this site for a comparison: Frostytech, I’m using the Zerotherm Nirvana 120 and love it, but you can see there are plenty of others that outperform it.

There are some really good sounding case/PSU combos going on if you really want the thermaltake case, Combo deals

Honestly though, you don’t need more than 650W for the system.

Thanks for the input eric93se

now I have to decide if I want to save on the ram and motherboard to get the beefier graphics card… which I am leaning to.

thanks for the link to the combo deals on case and psu
I like the 650 thermaltake thoughpower and case for $214

Do you have any input on the EVGA GeForce GTX 280 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130365 because after rebate its the basically the same price as the BFG Tech geforce 280

For the OS, Im leaning towards XP 64bit, but might go for the Vista ultimate. I have several friends with vista home and it is rubbish but have heard okay things about business or ultimate.

For the best price/performance ratio on the graphics, get an ATI HD4870. Seriously the best card for your money right now, just about 10% slower than the ~ $100 more GTX280. ATI kicked Nvidia’s rear this time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129113

Actually thats a good point, looking back at reviews, the best bang/buck would be a pair of 4850’s in crossfire. Check out this review Anandtech, in this review the graphs on the subsequent pages show super high resolution gaming, which almost no one does, so look at the charts below the main graph and you can see normal resolutions, and a pair of 4850’s kick the crap out of the GTX280. And surprisingly the 4850 in crossfire ties the 4870 in crossfire, making it a no brainer. The 4850’s run for about 160$, if you want just get one for now and wait for another price drop and get a second, but you will need a crossfire capable board like P45/X38/X48.

Here’s a good overclockers X38 board, DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2RB LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard
and here a less expensive option P45, ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard. the P45 runs its PCIx16 slots at 8x,8x, and has a small performance hit, but still kicks butt. The X38/X48 boards run at full 16x/16x for both slots.

So here’s a system with two 4850’s and an X38 board, kick-ass. :cop:

Note that there is a total of $120 in rebates. And you can also sell those two copies of “alone in the dark” for at least 20 bucks on ebay.

A good HDD to get is the Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB, it has two high density platters.

Do any of you have any input on vista premium vs ultimate

Pretty sure that I am going to go with the 64bit version

Get premium, ultimate is a waste.

Looks like the Xigmatek HDT-S1284EE cpu cooler is both quiet and super cool, but I don’t see it anywhere yet.

If you want to save some $$ on the ram, there’s a great sale that I’m tempted to jump on, Crucial 4gb kit DDR2-800, the case latency is 6 (high), but reviews at newegg say they can run 5-5-5-18 at 1.9-2.0 and overclock as well. With the DFI motherboard you won’t have to OC the RAM much or at all because it will have a crap load of memory dividers at you finger tips. $40 for 4gigs is hard to beat, cruical is good quality as well.

I have to wait till the 20th anything, to bad that deal wont be around by then.

I was curious if any of you had ideas on different case and psu combo deals that you would recomend

xigmatek HDT-S1284

So far what I have been able to work out on neweeg.com

Thermaltake case and psu combo deal $214

Western Digital Caviar 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $84.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $69.99

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 $34.99

2 x ASUS EAH4850/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 $365.98

DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2RB $170

vista 64bit premium OEM $99.99

grand total w/ shipping $1258.30

Looks like there’s more than one revision of the HDT-S1284EE, <-- thats the one you want, but not in store just yet. The Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm “Core Contact Freezer” was another top performer.

If you want to save a few bucks and not have rebates to deal with, COOLER MASTER RC-690 Case and Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 550W PSU is another way to go. The PSU might not be considered top choice but should do the job.

Make sure you get a surge supressor like one made from Trip-lite to protect the computer and PSU from spikes.

The Thermaltake V1 isn’t very good with quads, seriously. My recommendation is the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, best air cooler for the money that I’ve found for quads.

Is CrossFire supported video cards the same as nvidia’s SLI video cards

I dont see if the ASUS EAH4850 is internal or external CrossFire, if its external what would I need?

If the psu that I get is only SLI ready would that make a difference?

Crossfire is when you install two video cards in a capable MB and use the ‘bridge’ connector that comes with the video card and connects the two cards together. That Antec PSU has the connectors needed to power two video cards and is crossfire ready. There are plenty of other psu’s to choose from, seasonic is the best, antec makes good ones as well. The PSU that you get has to have two PCI-E connectors that are in the 2x6 pin fashion. Post a link to the PSU if your not sure.