Recognized, but underperforming burner

vbimport

Hello all. I have a Philips SPD 8005BM /17 dvd rw burner that is currently installed and recognized. XP, of course, only shows it is a cd-rw. I can put in any correctly burned or commercial DVD. I have found no freeware that encourages all in one burning. This burner is an IDE in a Dell Optiplex GX280 (sff).

Yet I have a 250GB SATA as the main drive. With the burner working (partially) as is, I do not need to go further with making it a Lite-ON drive, right?

Now that the firmware is the same as shipped, choosing the right software (I do not mind opening software to make this work), or configuring speeds, etc. should make me a happy camper.

I usggest to try ImgBurn. It’s free and very powerful but still very simple to use. It can burn also Audio CDs starting from many format (like mp3, FLAC, APE, ogg, etc).

[QUOTE=wiz40;2081521]Yet I have a 250GB SATA as the main drive. With the burner working (partially) as is, I do not need to go further with making it a Lite-ON drive, right?

Now that the firmware is the same as shipped, choosing the right software (I do not mind opening software to make this work), or configuring speeds, etc. should make me a happy camper.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I can’t understand what is exactly the problem. Is it related to the max burn speed you can get with the drive? I suggest to check if DMA is enabled (DMA must be enabled for DVD burners)

I can put in a blank dvd rw or blank cdrw and burn. The device will not recognize any blank media in My Computer. I have uninstalled the bundled Nero with clean tool and am using ImgBurn (that was updated from DVD Decrypter.) I have uninstalled DVD Shrink also, it was not recognizing anything. Neither is ActiveISO burner (only if I want to burn something). It is also not recognizing burned discs I have made from video files. The only successful burn to date has been an Image file from Nero. Nothing I drag and drop is working, even after I reset all settings to default.

[QUOTE=wiz40;2083007]I can put in a blank dvd rw or blank cdrw and burn. The device will not recognize any blank media in My Computer. I have uninstalled the bundled Nero with clean tool and am using ImgBurn (that was updated from DVD Decrypter.) I have uninstalled DVD Shrink also, it was not recognizing anything. Neither is ActiveISO burner (only if I want to burn something). It is also not recognizing burned discs I have made from video files. The only successful burn to date has been an Image file from Nero. Nothing I drag and drop is working, even after I reset all settings to default.[/QUOTE]

Ok, now I got it :bigsmile:

That’s normal that you can’t recognize blank media under “My Computer” because windows have no burning software included.

To write files simply dragging them in the “my computer” window, you need a rewritable media. This is not possible with write-once discs.

However, the software used to write rewritable media in this way (called “packet writing” softwares) are not reliable at all (they fails in most of cases and all data written in the disc are almost invariably lost).

The only way to burn a write-once disc is a burning software.

If you don’t want use nero, there are many alternatives (some free like the excellent ImgBurn). You must simply select which files you want to burn in the disc [U]using the burning software[/U], and not dragging files directly on the disc.