Recode, really that quick?

vbimport

I’ve been using Shrink for a while now and just found out about recode. I’m use to Shrink taking about 2 hours to to a movie (without burning) in Nero Recode it’s taking about 22 minutes for it to analyse and encode a movie, I have both the quality boxes ticked.

I know from reading a few threads that it is quicker than Shrink, but is it really that much quicker? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any replys.

Naw you arent doing anythin wrong I seen the same thing when I switched also

Shrink and Recode are from the same developer, so just go with what is going to be updated… Recode.

What are your system specs?

In my experience I find that Recode is generally quicker than Shrink. Of course, it all depends on your specs as well. For me, I average around 30-50 minutes to encode and burn. In Shrink with optional enhancements and deep analysis checked, I average around 1-2 hrs. I would say your numbers are about right.

Lately though, Recode is starting to tick me off. Backing up movies that have the new Sony Arccos protection doesn’t work. You’ll likely end up with a dvd that will play fine in software players like PowerDVD, WinDVD, Showtime, MediaPlayer, etc… However, the dvd may not work in your standalone console. Black screen for me at least. Movies like The Forgotten, Resident Evil Apocalypse, etc… use this new Sony protection. I had to use Shrink to backup them.

I find Nero Recode to be very good in terms of quality. Pretty fast too even with all high quality options checked.

NScythe - Are you using the latest Anydvd or Dvd Region +CSS free?
You could also try ripping them first using dvd decrypter.

You need to crop the main movie and remove the blank screen or else it wont play in a stand alone. RE2,Little black book and The Forgotten all had the black space and it needed to be removed

FreqNasty. I normally use DVD Decrypter 3.5.2.0 first than Nero Recode or DVD Shrink. The blank screen problem is still there even though Recode successfully encoded and burned the movies. Dark_Diggler. I’ll give your suggestion a try. Although I don’t recall Recode having a crop option. Could you clarify the steps in more detail. Thanks.

re the speed issue - your dvdshrink settings are probably screwed up, like you’ve selected all the high quality sharpness/analysis settings, whereas in recode you probably have it set to the fastest/low quality settings.

there really shouldn’t be any/much difference between shrink/recode.

personally i still prefer dvdshrink to recode, don’t like recode’s childish gui and it still seems to lack features of dvdshrink (plus you’ve got to rip first using recode).

It does its right under import title IIRC. Its the button that says start/end. That si the cropping tool

Yuo do realize there are a whole bunch of similarites between the two gui’s. Wanna know why? DvdShrink isnt being developed anymore because the coder of the program now works for nero. Wanna gues what his job is :wink:

True, setting DVD Shrink’s optional enhancement’s like sharpness, smoothness, etc… and advance analysis does significantly increase the waiting time. However, even without tweaking these settings in Shrink, Recode for me is definitely faster with or without all of its quality settings applied as well. I think it benefits more from my specs than Shrink. Some softwares are better than others at using your particular system to its optimum. I believe this to be the case with Recode.

I do agree that Recode has a rather unsophisticated gui. It’s too simple compared to Shrink. Recode definitely lacks Shrink’s ability to rip to harddrive much like DVD Decrypter. Moreover, I find more success with Shrink with difficult to back up movies that are using some of the newer protection schemes from the likes of Sony, New Line Cinema, Columbia TriStar, etc…
Most movies that I backup with Shrink are more compatible with my software players (WinDVD, PowerDVD, DirectDVD ES, etc…) and standalone consoles than those done with Recode. Therefore, Recode is definitely more of a hassle. But Recode gives me slightly better image quality when viewed from the naked eye at least. Then again, “Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.”

I do wonder about one thing with Recode. Since the author that developed it for Nero is the same author who developed Shrink, I would think that the newer Recode would be much better at dealing with newer protection schemes from Sony and others. I would think that Recode should have been a newer improved version of Shrink. Apparently this isn’t the case since most people in various movie backup forums like videohelp, cdfreaks, doom9, and cdrlabs have reported more success with Shrink over Recode when dealing with difficult to back up movies. But then again, Nero isn’t exactly the best at adhering to customer complaints. Nero may be working with Sony for all I know. That would partly explain why Recode can’t back up movies with the newer protection schemes like Shrink.

Ultimately, for me the combination of DVD Decrypter (latest build) and DVD Shrink (latest build) works the best. Quality and speed in Shrink aren’t quite as good as Recode’s, but compatibility is much greater with Shrink.

DVD Rebuilder and CCE SP offers exceptional quality at the cost of a significantly long encoding time (typically 4 hours and up). I stopped using it do to the ridiculous low tolerance level of the software. If you slightly preprocess the ripped movie with other authoring softwares before running it through Rebuilder, you can expect to see quite often errors like "buffer overflow, cyclic redundancy, angle errors, etc… Sometimes, even if you didn’t preprocess the ripped movie with any authoring softwares, and the only thing you did was rip it with DVD Decrypter to your harddrive, you’ll still get those errors. The author of DVD Rebuilder is a rather proud individual that refuses to admit that his software has problems coexisting with other authoring softwares that dvd enthusiasts find most useful when backing up their favorite dvd movies. Another thing is that the software continues to be in beta. Works great for some movies, but not so great for others. Compatibility is a huge problem with this software. It may produce awesome backups, but at a huge risk of being less compatible with many standalone consoles (specifically progressive scan ones). Sound sutters, video stutters, etc… are just a few symptoms of dvds backed up via DVD Rebuilder. Nice but still has lots of problems to be considered as a reliable source for backing up your dvds.

I wish they had this also but Recode doesnt do protected disks at all. You either have to use Anydvd or DVDDecrypter

Moreover, I find more success with Shrink with difficult to back up movies that are using some of the newer protection schemes from the likes of Sony, New Line Cinema, Columbia TriStar, etc…

DVDDecrypter or Anydvd as recode doesnt deal with protected disks at all

Most movies that I backup with Shrink are more compatible with my software players (WinDVD, PowerDVD, DirectDVD ES, etc…) and standalone consoles than those done with Recode. Therefore, Recode is definitely more of a hassle. But Recode gives me slightly better image quality when viewed from the naked eye at least. Then again, “Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.”

I have never had an issue. I use Windvd, WMP10 and Nero Showtime after a recode session

I do wonder about one thing with Recode. Since the author that developed it for Nero is the same author who developed Shrink, I would think that the newer Recode would be much better at dealing with newer protection schemes from Sony and others.

Nope wont do it check quotes above

I would think that Recode should have been a newer improved version of Shrink. Apparently this isn’t the case since most people in various movie backup forums like videohelp, cdfreaks, doom9, and cdrlabs have reported more success with Shrink over Recode when dealing with difficult to back up movies.

Once DVDDecrypter dealt with the protection and I started a project in recode, cropped out the blank screens in the beginning everything was ok from there on out. If the blank screen was left in and burned to a disk it bombed in my standalone.

But then again, Nero isn’t exactly the best at adhering to customer complaints. Nero may be working with Sony for all I know. That would partly explain why Recode can’t back up movies with the newer protection schemes like Shrink.

Nope it doesnt do any protections at all you need another progrma to run/decrypt before recode deals with it

Ultimately, for me the combination of DVD Decrypter (latest build) and DVD Shrink (latest build) works the best. Quality and speed in Shrink aren’t quite as good as Recode’s, but compatibility is much greater with Shrink.

Havent installed dvdshrink since starting to use recode and havent had a problem havent looked back either. Recode is faster and produces slightly better quality movies…

No wonder I couldn’t find the “cropping tool!” It’s in the latest version of Nero Recode 2.2.6.9. I had version 2.2.6.1 installed. I now see the “start/end” options with the new version 2.2.6.9 installed.

See DVDecrypter forum for a “patch” on REvil.