Recode 2.1 and other proggies

vbimport

Any hands-on experience with Nero Recode 2.1? Is Recode faster than Shrink and CloneDVD? What about the quality of video compression? Is Recode a stable/reliable software? What about CPU load during write sessions?

TIA,
CP

Recode 2 is fantastic software.Been using it for over a year and a half.Flawless.Make sure if you use it though to use a version over 2.1.2.2.0.That version is when they put a faster encoding engine in it.It flys.I’ve had no complaints.Don’t really know about CPU loads but you can set the priority on it(low,medium,high etc…).I never run anything when I’m using it.Let’s say I had to do a dvd with 20% compression.It only takes me 8 minutes for that and another 8 min. to burn.Old nero Recode 2 took about 5 or 6 min longer.I can get a disc done complete in 16 min.That works for me.

Most people would generally agree that Recode is faster and has slightly better video quality than Shrink. Of course in my own experience I find Shrink works best for compatibility with software and hardware dvd players. Recode works but it gives me grief at times with difficult to back up movies. Movies that are protected by the newer copyright schemes like arccos from Sony, New Line Cinema, Columbia, etc…

Thanks for your inputs. I have the latest version or Recode. Is it possible to install only Recode without directX 9 and the 150 MB Nero Vision package?

For the problem movies, did you used the latest version of AnyDVD and Recode 2 to backup the main movie and AC 3/6? What kind of problems?

When it comes to video quality, Recode is suppose to provide a better picture than Shrink. Could someone quantify this amount? Is this equivalent to gaining 5% in video compression? Would Recode do a better job then say, CloneDVD2?

Also in Recode, there is a HIGH QUALITY MODE (slow reading) check box. What is this function and how is this different from the DEEP ANALYSIS function?

TIA,
CP

FWIW, I’ve been using Recode for more than a year. I backed up over 600 DVDs with it. I’ve never had quality issues with the burns even when played on my 51" widescreen or my very old front projector (at 80+ inches).

I use it with AnyDVD.

I have the latest version or Recode. Is it possible to install only Recode without directX 9 and the 150 MB Nero Vision package?
I don’t believe you can install Recode without installing NVE 3.It’s kinda all or nothin.It’s a good package though.

For the problem movies, did you used the latest version of AnyDVD and Recode 2 to backup the main movie and AC 3/6? What kind of problems?
Yeah anydvd will do it,no problems.Although I haven’t back’t up any of those titles by Sony cause I didn’t care for any of em.

When it comes to video quality, Recode is suppose to provide a better picture than Shrink. Could someone quantify this amount? Is this equivalent to gaining 5% in video compression? Would Recode do a better job then say, CloneDVD2?
You can’t really gain or lose by %,it has to do with the MPEG 2 decoder quality and it definately improved since the older version.You’re not really compressing either,I believe all your doing with it is dropping the Bitrate per second in the movie.I saw a recent title someone had and it was 2.5 gb on the disc.How ridiculous.The extras weren’t much either.I mean it look’t fine but then I look’t at the bitrate and realized,they just encoded it slowly at a very low bitrate.It all has to do with the quality of the encoding engine.CloneDvd is a fine app,it just doesn’t have the extras as Recode 2.

Also in Recode, there is a HIGH QUALITY MODE (slow reading) check box. What is this function and how is this different from the DEEP ANALYSIS function?
First the deep analysis function.What it does is analize your title for the best possible compression spread across the length of the movie.If you don’t check this box,what happens is Recode will encode the selected title at the desired MB you selected earlier(usually 4459 mb,that’s Defualt in Recode 2).That’s just under the full size of a blank dvd.With deep analysis,it will usually be more than 4459 cause it wants to “even out” the compression across the length of the title.Sometimes this is more than a blank dvd can handle though.Usually I don’t use this function unless the movie has high compression level such as anything less than 68%.High quality is just simply the encoder going over the title very slowly to encode the title for the best possible picture.This usually takes 3 times the amount time it would take for a title.For me with this box check’t,it takes around 38 to 50 minutes for each title.But again,I only use this function if there’s high compression only.

I totally agree with dewd2 ,it’s a a great app and has never given me problems.

Recode is great, but you’ll soon find out like most people that it has difficulty with the newer protection schemes coming out from mostly Sony. In such cases, more people generally have used DVD Decrypter along with DVD Shrink to back up these difficult movies. Of course, all the latest builds for both softwares. It seems the people that are suggesting that they have absolutely no problems with Recode may not have yet encountered these types of movies (Resident Evil: Apocalypse, The Forgotten, Harold and Kumar Goes to White Castle, Friday Night Lights, etc…). I would recommend a thorough reading of the pros and cons of Nero Recode versus DVD Shrink. I would also recommend visiting great sites for more reading and learning: www.videohelp.com, www.doom9.org, and www.cdrlabs.com. Visit the various forums and use the search functionality. By doing this, you should get a broader view of how Recode stacks up to Shrink.

It’s not to say that Recode can’t handle these types of movies when coupled with DVD Decrypter. It’s just more involved and requires more tweaking to get it to properly work. Whereas, Shrink requires very little user interventions to deal with these movies with the newer protection schemes.

Seems strange that Recode is supposed to be a newer improved version of Shrink developed specifically for Nero. But yet, the older version, Shrink is still highly regarded and works quite often with difficult to back up movies. And we all know that both DVD Shrink and Nero Recode were developed by the same author.

Thanks. Shrink is only a 1 MB installation. To use Recode, you need to add 150MB of stuffs to your hard drive. Oh yes, there’s the pain of installing DirectX 9. With the audio/video preview in Shrink, I get smooth audio and video playback. With Nero Showtime, the playback is jerky and out of sync. My older copy of PowerDVD works fine. Not sure if reloading Nero will fix the problem.

Recode is faster than Shrink. I’m not sure if the video quality with Recode will be much better than Shrink if the compression level is limited to a maximum of 20%. If one uses two DVD-5 discs, then the quality is if no concern.

Please provide more inputs as you see fit.

TIA,
CP

It’s not to say that Recode can’t handle these types of movies when coupled with DVD Decrypter. It’s just more involved and requires more tweaking to get it to properly work. Whereas, Shrink requires very little user interventions to deal with these movies with the newer protection schemes.
I’ve backed up The Forgotten, Little Black Book, and Resident Evil 2 with Recode in the past few weeks without any problems at all (other than a bad disc I had to exchange). Used with AnyDVD it is very easy. No tweaking required.

Preach on my Recode brother.

All you need is Anydvd 4.5.5.1 and your good to go.Don’t worry.Most problems you hear about are due to user error.If you get used to Recode,you’ll never look anywhere else.With all Nero products(burning Rom etc…) installed it’s 144 mb.Look at what your getting though,everything you need.That amount of mb in the long run is nothing to a 40 or 80 gb drive.The compression level is not limited to 20%.It’s limited to what you want to compress it at.I did a title the other day at 58% with high quality encoding.Look’t fine.Trust me,when you learn Recode,you’ll see.Shrink can’t do those newer Copy Protection schemes.You can go the Dvd Decrypter route but it’ll take a little longer to do so.With Anydvd in the background,you can use shrink and then it’ll break those newer schemes.The quality of the newer Recode 2 is better than Shrink,I’d bet on it.

I will try it out for one month. I’d do it in a heart beat if I don’t have to load DirectX9 and 150 MB of EXTRA. I just don’t any use for the other stuffs in Vision.

I’m sure that Recode will run like a champ with AnyDVD. Thanks!

why don’t you want to install DX9?

Don’t need it. Not a gamer. More junks you put in the PC, more chance for problem.

DX is hardly junk. i don’t agree with your theory. mine is…“the more you don’t know what the hell you’re doing, the more chance for problems.”

Great! I’m surrounded now by Recode supporters. I needed help with Recode not long ago. Now they all decided to show up to argue. Remember this isn’t about what’s better. It’s about sharing information and experience in a positive way. The individual should pick what he or she thinks best suits him or her.

Please don’t imply that I and others who have geniunely experienced difficulties with Recode as “user error.” I have visited very knowledgeable forums like www.videohelp.com, www.doom9.org, www.cdrlabs.com, and www.cdfreaks.com. The people in such forums can’t all be that dumb unless Recode like many other softwares do have bugs that still need to be worked out.

I convey only what I have experienced and nothing more. The individual has to make up their own mind on what is best for them. I have no loyalties to any one particular software. I pick and use what is best according to time and circumstance. I have both
Recode and Shrink as well as several others like AnyDVD, DVD Rebuilder, DVD Lab Pro, DVD-Fab Platinum, DVD-Remake, Sonic Studio Deluxe, IfoEdit, CloneDVD both Net and Slysoft, EasyDVD, DVD X Copy Express and Platinum, and many, many, many more installed.

Installing DirectX 9.0c isn’t a big deal for most people. It takes less than 5 minutes.
However, if your current version of DirectX works, you shouldn’t have to fix or improve it unless necessary. Why fix or improve something that is working fine?

Comming from being a faithful user of DVDShrink (which doesnt shrink newer protections liike The forgotten, RE2, Little Black Book, Friday Night Lights) I found Recode to be faster and easier to use. I was apprehensive at first because shrink worked so well but there is a problem. THe developer now works for nero coding recode2. Recode doesnt decrypt copyrighted disks so you are stuck using anydvd or dvddecrypter to get the files to your harddisk. The second problem is since shrink isnt being developed any more and the latest version is the last version shrink will NOT deal with the newer protection schemes unless it is used in conjunction with anydvd or dvddecrypter. The ex-developer of shrink is now with recode and I am pretty sure his expertise and aheads expertise will crank out a pretty good program with a very good encoding engine… Not only that since this is the case there will always be newer and better updated versions comming down the pipe.

Great! I’m surrounded now by Recode supporters. I needed help with Recode not long ago. Now they all decided to show up to argue. Remember this isn’t about what’s better. It’s about sharing information and experience in a positive way. The individual should pick what he or she thinks best suits him or her.

I agree - you find the app that you like and that works with your drive and media and stick with it. However, the original question was about experience with Recode. We are simply offering our experiecnes (good and bad).

What help do/did you need with Recode? I cannot find your question in the forum. I try to answer questions as much as I can in this forum because I realize that Recode is not the most popular solution. There is not as much traffic in this forum as others (like CloneDVD for example).

Agreed, but I shouldn’t have to add 150 MB of stuffs to my PC just for Recode. In Office, one can choose what gets installed!

I definitely see the speed advantage of Recode over Shrink. Since I always split the movie if the “quality level” drops below 80%, the better compression technology found in Recode MAY not come into play. Non-scientific A/B comparison of Recode vs. Shrink with an 82% “quality movie” yields NO clear winner on my PC monitor. If I had a big screen, then I may be able to see the improvement with Recode.

Perhaps Recode is much better than Shrink in dealing with movies at the 50 to 70% “quality level”.

I value all inputs, good or bad! Don’t have any problem running Recode. But I’m still not sure what is the purpose of “HIGH QUALIY MODE”. Is this an additional improvement to the frame-by-frame analysis mode? Would appreciate a more scientific explanation.

Also, to those with big screen monitors, do you see an improvement in picture quality when you compare Shrink with Recode? Please note that I only use the transcoding feature of Shrink/Recode when the “quality level” is above 80%. Longer movies are transferred to two DVD-5 discs.

I saw no noticeable differences between the two either. What sold me was the improvements in time