Recent Windows 10 Update removes apps without user’s consent

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Recent Windows 10 Update removes apps without user’s consent[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/11/windows-10.-phone-laptop-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Besides changing privacy settings, the recently released large Windows 10 update has also removed applications without the user’s consent.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/recent-windows-10-update-removes-apps-without-users-consent-77893/](http://www.myce.com/news/recent-windows-10-update-removes-apps-without-users-consent-77893/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I updated to build 1511 and yes all my settings reverted, but nothing happened to Eset Smart Security or Speccy

That is interesting news… If we could have that entire list, it would be even better.
Now, M$ ‘so called’ incompatible list is not really the ‘incompatible list’ either. It is a little like what they see fit.
Let me take an example… Since Windows 7, Evidence Eliminator from the now gone Robin Hood software has been flagged as incompatible… Well M$ it is working fine here and I have updated several of the plugins myself…

Now how did I do that trick?
Elementary, by making sure M$ never heard about the program installed! Names are changed, references in the executable to folders, extentions and registry likewise.
Sure, it currently takes a former hacker to do it, but my point is that it is NOT incompatible even with Windows 10, so what is the idea?

I would like, very much so, that they do at least try to reinstate some trust to ‘try’ to make themselves more believeable. As it is now, speaking for myself, I DO question everything they say and evaluate on my behalf.

For the common man, yes, even the sidebar gadgets work in Windows 10 and to no ill effect that I have seen (I even tried some of their so called security flaws, only to realise it was too far fetched). Many of my friends and customers have requested that feature and I did rip the shit out of Windows 7, four different version (English/Norwegian x86 and x64), and ported them to Windows 8.1 and later to Windows 10. As it turns out, someone went a step further and you can download a install package including all languages I found out later.

[B]Dang! I am fed up by lamers trying to fool me.[/B]

First of all, please do not send me a text message at night, in my mind something has caught fire if I get one… Which is not the case. :frowning:
I’ll answer you here in case someone else wonders about my closing comment

Quote translated from Norwegian

Accusing the developer of being lame?..
There was more info about that not being smart and that a lamer is not knowledgeable.

I beg to differ. I catch lamers by their act. In this case I did catch M$ greed putting sidebar gadgets aside in favor of store apps which was not necessarily in the interest of the users. Now that is not a lame thing to do on its own, but when you lie about the reasons, it becomes lame.

In the case of Evidence Eliminator, they could simply have let it fade away instead of banning it. The application was built for harddrives (clearing free space with over and underwriting of file/directory structure DOD/custom delete methods). I need it to make sure customer data can not be retrieved from PCs I build from old swapped hardware and give away for free to people who can not afford their own (philanthropic work according to voxsmart).
Disk-Editors and forensic applications have proved it works.
I was in disbelief when I realised that the application indeed is compatible as long as the OS is unaware of it being installed - Seemingly banned iow, which makes it lame.
I could probably have got it to install by tweaking the default policy and turning off a service or two, but that would mean no information at all and I would like to get informed about incompatible programs on a general level.

FYI:
A lamer is not an unkowledgeable person.
A script-kiddie would run rings around the common man in terms of computing, still he is a lamer to me. He typically alters someone elses code ever so slightly, and then takes the credit.
The first action is not lame - no need to reinvent the wheel, the last is - credit where credit is due.

There’s a portable version of Speccy that won’t be affected by the update; especially if it’s not on the system partition.

What a disaster of an OS has got to be another Vista and yet people are jumping ship to it lol “shakes head”.

Oh good, I was getting tired of my machine being full of applications of my choosing. If only I had back doors in my GNU/Linux system, so that I may have my most important apps can mysteriously disappear right when I need them.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2764298]Oh good, I was getting tired of my machine being full of applications of my choosing. If only I had back doors in my GNU/Linux system, so that I may have my most important apps can mysteriously disappear right when I need them.[/QUOTE]

The trouble with only one OS is that you get experience only on that OS. While this may be adequate for you, for other uses, more may be needed. Linux has its good and bad sides. One of the bad are the many forks. I do use Linux myself, and I do use it. This is because work requires me to know two forks just as it requires me to know Windows and OS-X. Strangely and sadly, I rarely come across any server farms with an extensive use of Linux even though it is quite fit for much of the job.

I have not been quite where you are since back in the Commodore Amiga days and so I really do not care what OS it is as long as it works and the customer is satisfied.

With that said, there will be discussions, and in this case it is a discussion on the subject of Windows 10 and how Microsoft handles upgrades. In that respect, Linux is a little side-tracked, speaking for myself, when I can compile local code and read the source, there will be absolutely no leaking.
In this case however, it is more interesting to see what software is affected and find countermeasures or at least separate truth from fiction in the Microsoft world.

My desktop finally received the updated for build 1511 and one other thing I noticed it cheekily do is changed some of my file associations.

For example, when I downloaded a PDF file in Firefox and opened it, Microsoft Edge opened it up. I had JPEG and PNG files configured to open with the Windows Photo Viewer (as in Windows 7), but the update reverted these extensions back to the Windows Photos App.

It also changed the font settings in the command prompt Window with a very small text size, making digits difficult to read. For those who use the command prompt, right-click the title bar, go into Properties and into the Font tab, then increase the size to 14 or 16.

Everyone can beat this OS up all they want, I like it, I like it a lot , its stable easy to use, love the Mail and Calendar app, and everything just flat out works. No issues at all. :flower: Merry Xmas. I updated all five of my rigs to Windows 10 Pro Build 1511, never go back.