I downloaded the Lite-on utility and checked those two settings. Both were off. Not that it makes much difference, but these DVD-R's were backups of a tv series. I enabled Hypertuning and this fixed the disc quality test on another DVD-R from season 5, but when I put the first disc back in (from season 1, the first post) to test again with Hypertuning enabled it had a similar result as before (quality zero). So I am at a loss as to what is happening.
I've played back many of these discs in the same DVD burner and a standalone DVD player from about 10 years ago. Most have worked flawlessly, two or three have jumped, two or three have stopped playing somewhere in the middle. I think I'm going to try enabling SmartBurn and continue backing up the series and see if there's a difference.