Recent DVD writers make poor audio CDs

I am trying to refurbish a CD duplicator using DVD writers, because CD writers are getting hard to find. I used Pioneer DVR-A18, but the audio CDs they make don’t play well in some CD players. I tried some old Pioneer DVR-112 drives, and they make copies that play perfectly in anything, but they are obsolete. I then bought a Lite-On IHAP322-32, and that was much the same as the DVR-A18, ie no good. Are current DVD writers not as good at making audio CDs as they used to be? How are we supposed to burn audio CDs that are fully compatible with all CD players?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Jon

[QUOTE=jx5;2538912]I am trying to refurbish a CD duplicator using DVD writers, because CD writers are getting hard to find. I used Pioneer DVR-A18, but the audio CDs they make don’t play well in some CD players. I tried some old Pioneer DVR-112 drives, and they make copies that play perfectly in anything, but they are obsolete. I then bought a Lite-On IHAP322-32, and that was much the same as the DVR-A18, ie no good. Are current DVD writers not as good at making audio CDs as they used to be? How are we supposed to burn audio CDs that are fully compatible with all CD players?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Jon[/QUOTE]
Welcome Jon,
The best CD writing DVD drives available today are Sony/Optiarc drives but they are all SATA interface unless you can find Optiarc ide interface drives on eBAY.

I think it’s more a matter of experimenting with recording speeds to establish at what speed your burners make the best quality audio cds than anything else.

Thanks very much for the quick replies. I have tried slowing the burning speed down to 16x and it doesn’t make any difference to the playback compatibility. I also tried a Sony Optiarc drive, and it was marginally better than the Pioneer DVR-A18, but still not as good as the old Pioneer DVR-112.
Another factor is the blank discs we use. We use bulk-packed anonymous blue-topped CD-Rs, which are manufactured by Sony according to Nero. I also tried some branded Sony CD-Rs, and strangely the branded Sony discs make better copies than the unbranded ones.
I tried connecting the Pioneer DVR-A18 drives to my computer instead of using them in the copier, and one drive appears to be faulty: it comes up with ‘Power Calibration Error’ when starting to burn, but the other one doesn’t. They were bought at the same time, are brand new and have the same firmware and I was using the branded Sony discs in both.
I’m coming to the conclusion that although the old DVR-112 drives are undoubtedly better than the new DVR-A18, the DVR-A18 does make acceptable copies. The playback problems are in older CD players that may be past their best. It was just odd that the old CD players had no trouble with the copies burned on the old drives.
I’m having to tell people that they need to buy new CD players because we have got new burners in the copier, and it doesn’t seem to make sense, and doesn’t go down too well either!
Thanks again for the advice,
Jon