Receiver has hdmi connections but no audio out

vbimport

My receiver (Pioneer VSX-818V) has 2 hdmi inputs and 1 output but according to their manual to hear audio you must also make an audio connection i.e. rca, optical, etc. which is a major pain-in-the ass (excuse my language). Is there a way around this i.e. hdmi switch? or am I forced to purchase a new receiver - and if so, recommendations on what mfg/model so I don’t run into this again?

If your receiver can’t decode multi channel audio via HDMI then this one will…
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AV-Receivers/PioneerReceivers/ci.VSX-819H-K.Kuro?tab=A

[QUOTE=servtrkr;2465912]My receiver (Pioneer VSX-818V) has 2 hdmi inputs and 1 output but according to their manual to hear audio you must also make an audio connection i.e. rca, optical, etc. which is a major pain-in-the ass (excuse my language). Is there a way around this i.e. hdmi switch? or am I forced to purchase a new receiver - and if so, recommendations on what mfg/model so I don’t run into this again?[/QUOTE]

There are two different types of HDMI on receiver’s

[B]HDMI Passthrough/Switching[/B]

No repeated handshakes of the HDCP codes. Will only allow video to pass through and requires a separate audio connection.

[B]HDMI Repeater[/B]

Repeats the the handshakes of the HDCP codes and allows both video and audio to pass through.

• Note future updates of the HDCP code may require a firmware update or a device that support the change.

You have what is called HDMI Passthrough/Switching. You want to look for receiver’s that support HDMI Repeater. As what pipemanid pointed out.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=servtrkr;2465912]My receiver (Pioneer VSX-818V) has 2 hdmi inputs and 1 output but according to their manual to hear audio you must also make an audio connection i.e. rca, optical, etc. which is a major pain-in-the ass (excuse my language). Is there a way around this i.e. hdmi switch? or am I forced to purchase a new receiver - and if so, recommendations on what mfg/model so I don’t run into this again?[/QUOTE]
Are you sure you are reading the manual correctly?

Most TV’s don’t seem to return audio from broadcast TV via HDMI, so require an optical link from the TV back to the receiver.

I’d expect most modern receivers would decode the audio & pass the video on when another source is playing TO the tv via the receiver, and no additional audio connections would be required in conjunction with the HDMI connection.

I don’t know if this will help, but I had a similar expierience last week with a new 50" Samsung, hooked the hdmi cables for the T.V. then the Dvd, got sound from the Dvd, none from the T.V. went all thru the manual, no help, called Comcast, no help, they sent a Tech out and in 30seconds had it working, he hit the Menu button twice on the remote and just hit an Hdmi choice for the sound.

[QUOTE=mikesmith11;2470709]Id suggest getting some HDMI cables form here . This is where i always get mine from and ive never regretted it. My system is always working at top quality[/QUOTE]
Monster cables are overpriced - there’s many words that most people in the world would use for people that support monster … but my mother taught me, if you can’t say something nice …

At any rate, it hasn’t been established that the cable is at fault.

[QUOTE=debro;2470718]Monster cables are overpriced - there’s many words that most people in the world would use for people that support monster … but my mother taught me, if you can’t say something nice …

At any rate, it hasn’t been established that the cable is at fault.[/QUOTE]
Yes, Monster Cables are one of the biggest ripoffs going. Their prices are a joke for anyone who knows video or audio. If it turns out that you need any kind of cable go to monoprice and get quality cable for 20% of the price of Monster. That’s 20% of the price not 20% off.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp