Reccommended external DVD/CD burners

vbimport

can anybody suggest/ steer me to good external DVD/Cd burners? that would work with a USB port? I would be using it to read write, & rip CDs & DVDs.

Hi,[QUOTE=Sossity;2496262]can anybody suggest/ steer me to good external DVD/Cd burners? that would work with a USB port?[/quote]You are thinking of a drive that is USB powered? Or of a Half Height drive with own power supply?

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2496275]Hi,You are thinking of a drive that is USB powered? Or of a Half Height drive with own power supply?

Michael[/QUOTE]

I don’t know what a half height drive is, maybe I am looking for a USB powered one, to use with a laptop, as I have heard that laptop drives are no good. I will be using it with programs like imageburn & dbpoweramp cd ripper.

[QUOTE=Sossity;2496285]I don’t know what a half height drive is,[/quote]Desktop drives.

maybe I am looking for a USB powered one, to use with a laptop, as I have heard that laptop drives are no good.
You don’t want a USB powered drive.
These violate USB specs, and they are laptop drives wich aren’t that reliable.

I will be using it with programs like imageburn & dbpoweramp cd ripper.
LG GE20NU10/GE20LU10. Excellent CD ripper. For DVD ripping, you need to patch the firmware with MCSE in order to get rid of the Riplock. I am not sure if the drive’s firmware is supported, but you can check that out by downloading the firmware and throwing into MCSE and see what patches are possible.

Michael

I’d go with an LG too. I have an older external LG that’s still burning well after 4 years of pretty regular use. :slight_smile:

That said, the Samsung SE-S084C I have (which is basically a USB powered laptop drive) has done pretty well since I got it, and is also a good reader to boot. I abused it pretty badly in the first month I had it, burning and reading disc after disc after disc. :wink:

EDIT: However, USB-powered drives may or may not work well for you - the aforementioned Samsung works beautifully on my two desktops, however.

For an all-round “safe” option, I’d go with a half-height drive with its own power supply. :wink: