Rebooting machine

vbimport

Hi all,

This is a strange problem that I have been having since a past couple of weeks. If I try using a copy protection detection tool such as Clony XXL or a audio CD copying tool such as EAC, the computer just plain reboots. This has been happening for quite some time now and is starting to bug me. Any other software such as Nero or PowerDVD is working fine which indicates that there is no problem with the optical drive. Help!

Thx,
Aquarius. :o

If you downloaded the software from a Peer to peer, I would suspect a virus… If not that, possibly a firmware of driver issue.

aspi?

Hi,

The software that I have mentioned is completely free and not downloaded from P2P. I have checked for viruses and they are not present on my computer. I checked for ASPI using Nero Info Tool, in which it says System ASPI is not installed but Nero ASPI is installed and working fine. If that is the source of the problem, what do I need to do?

Thx,
Aquarius. :slight_smile:

you need to get force aspi and install the ASPI layer

Hi,

I have downloaded the ForceASPI drivers but not yet installed it. I have checked with a few friends of mine who have Windows XP and a burner installed on their comps. The Nero InfoTool says the same thing for each machine which is System ASPI is not installed. It seems that ASPI is not available in Windows XP but their systems are working fine? Is it okie if I go ahead and install the ForceASPI on my comp? Will this lemme use ClonyXXL and EAC?

Thx,
Aquarius. :o

yes XP doesnt need ASPI but some programs DO. Yes clonyXXl will work when you install it. As for EAC there is a trick to that, Find the WNASPI32.DLL file in your NERO folder and copy it into your EAC folder this will get EAC to work

Hi,

Thanks for the help. It’s done!

Aquarius :cool:

[QUOTE=slayerking;953069]yes XP doesnt need ASPI but some programs DO. Yes clonyXXl will work when you install it. As for EAC there is a trick to that, Find the WNASPI32.DLL file in your NERO folder and copy it into your EAC folder this will get EAC to work[/QUOTE]
SlayerKing,. Thank you so much for sharing that. I can see it’s a very old thread, but it bloody fixed my problem today! Starting EAC or Audiograbber rebooted my machine. I knew it was my Sony SATA DVD-RW but couldn’t figure out how to fix it. The only way to start the software was to disable the drive (in device manager). But that kind of defeated the purpose, as it was my newer drive so I wanted to use that! However could you be so kind as to explain why copying the winasp32.dll into the folder fixes the problem? The following are optional: Why (if it is the case), is the problem not that widespread (as I had a hard time googling an answer). Why does the PC actually abruptly restart when the dll is missing?! Thanks.

Just to add, my XP machine did already have ASPI installed with version 4.6 (ForceASPI). I tried installing version 4.7 with the same problems so reverted back to 4.6. So not sure why the software could not just look for them on my machine?

Programs will normally look for DLLs in the folder that they are installed in. Next they will search the Windows ‘path’ which includes C:\Windows, C:\Windows\system and C:\Windows\system32 (there are probably other locations).

It is bad programming if a missing DLL causes a crash or a reboot. The software should simply inform you of the DLL that it was looking for and where it was looking. It is also possible that some DLL versions are not compatible with certain software.

RM

Thanks for that RM. It makes sense. It is a wonder why it rebooted my machine when it could not find the desired .DLL in its folder, rather than search the other paths. It’s worth noting that it was a SATA drive. I also have a IDE drive installed, and it worked fine without the .DLL in the software folder. So perhaps it’s not all the software’s fault. A inherent design SATA fault? Therefore, not too sure about your theory with the compatibility of software with .dll versions as I think I had pretty standard ASPI version installed. But I certainly can see where you are coming from. May do some experiments. Wull update if I do. Thanks again.