Reapply mp3/wma album tags to their folder name

Hey there people,

I’m looking for a nice free tool that can automatically change the album tag of a lot of mp3 files.

Here’s the deal:

I use FUPPES on a disk full of mp3s. I connect to this disk via my Xbox 360 to play the music.

The xbox 360 uses the information found the album tag of a file to generate album lists. (Thanks Microsoft, i really adore your stupid system of playlists derived from album tag names).

If however a mp3 has [album1] and another mp3 in the same folder/directory has [album2], it’ll show up as two different albums.

I’d like an automated freeware tool that generates the same album name for both of these mp3 files. I’d like the album name to be the folder name the mp3 files are in.

For instance:

Folder 1 has two mp3s: Both mp3s get album tag [Folder 1].
Folder 2 has 15 mp3s: All mp3s get album tag [Folder 2].

Let me repeat the same suggestion I have given lots of time for managing large collections of music files:

J. River Media Jukebox (Freeware) music files only
J. River Media Center (Shareware) music, pictures & video

Either of these will manage your collection, let you (re)tag from folder/file name or rename folder/file from tags, let you view and organize just about any way you can imagine (I especially like the smartlists), rip and encode, burn data or audio discs, convert between formats, transfer to portable players etc.

Nobody ever listens to this suggestion, however - I wonder why?!

Other alternatives are foobar2k or WinAmp, MediaMonkey…
And MP3Tag is a very good tag editing app…
http://mp3tag.de/en/index.html

I don’t think any of the mentioned apps, thus far, will do it ‘auto-magically’…At least not what I use, f2k…

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2422648]Let me repeat the same suggestion I have given lots of time for managing large collections of music files:

J. River Media Jukebox (Freeware) music files only
J. River Media Center (Shareware) music, pictures & video

Either of these will manage your collection, let you (re)tag from folder/file name or rename folder/file from tags, let you view and organize just about any way you can imagine (I especially like the smartlists), rip and encode, burn data or audio discs, convert between formats, transfer to portable players etc.

Nobody ever listens to this suggestion, however - I wonder why?![/QUOTE]

I’ll try it. Thanks for the suggestion. :bow:

Although it doesn’t work automatically or batch processed, the River Media Jukebox Freeware Edition is quite nice.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2425703]…it doesn’t work automatically or batch processed…[/QUOTE] Really?

In the version I’m using (MC10), I can select any number of entries in the library, right-click, and select either [I]Rename Files From Properties…[/I] or [I]Move / Copy Disk File…[/I] in the [I]Library Tools[/I] menu. From there I can choose to rename files and or directories from whatever tags I choose.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2425712]Really?[/quote] Not in the way i want it to run.
I’d really like a product that would automatically tag the id based on the folder structure.

In the version I’m using (MC10), I can select any number of entries in the library, right-click, and select either [I]Rename Files From Properties…[/I] or [I]Move / Copy Disk File…[/I] in the [I]Library Tools[/I] menu. From there I can choose to rename files and or directories from whatever tags I choose.

I’ve downloaded version 12. Last night it managed to hang about six times. It seems it can’t really cope with networked drives over a samba share. I get that a lot with some type of programs.

So i got rid of River’s Jukebox and installed, much to my own horror and amazement, Media Monkey. Although it keeps nagging me about purchasing the gold version and has lots of bloatware (then again, River’s Jukebox also has a lot of things i don’t need), it works. Whenever MediaMonkey can’t deal with realtime processing, it automatically batches all the operations.

So last night i retagged most of my mp3 files and after a short while it said it was processions about 2500 files in the background. Worked like a charm.

I have written a tool that will do just that
http://www.killmyday.com/mp3renamer/

That looks like an awesome tool. I’ll test it whenever i can and let you know the results.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2454792]That looks like an awesome tool. I’ll test it whenever i can and let you know the results.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mr. Belvedere hope you like it like i do, if you can’t finde it make it your self lol…