Realtime cd burning

vbimport

i need to make a master of a record i made using pro tools
i have to copy the audio files in real time (speed 1x)
i have a mac book with a matshita dvd r uj857D but every time i try to make a copy in (1x ) it burns in (6x) altough i chose (1x) can anyone help
thanks
frankie

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=frankieroseduffy;2221974]
i have to copy the audio files in real time (speed 1x) [/quote]Why that?

i have a mac book with a matshita dvd r uj857D but every time i try to make a copy in (1x ) it burns in (6x) altough i chose (1x)
The minimum write speed for certain media is determined by the drive and its firmware. You can’t do anything about that.

Additionally, the burn quality (which is also depending on the burner that is used) at lowest speed is not necessarily better than at higher speeds.

Michael

[QUOTE=frankieroseduffy;2221974]i need to make a master of a record i made using pro tools
i have to copy the audio files in real time (speed 1x)
i have a mac book with a matshita dvd r uj857D but every time i try to make a copy in (1x ) it burns in (6x) altough i chose (1x) can anyone help
thanks
frankie[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

The only CD-RW drive i have that can burn a CD-R at 1x is my Yamaha F1 (with my Plextor Premium(II)'s 2x is the slowest i believe). You can also burn at 1x using AAMQR (Advanced Audio Master Quality Recording). Using AAMQR you can only use 63 minutes for a 650MB blank or 68 minutes for a 700MB blank as it burns the pits and lands wider on the disc. Without AAMQR you can make use of the full disc.

Here is a 1x AAMQR burn using Tayio Yuden (made in Japan) CD-R and my Yamaha F1 http://club.cdfreaks.com/2221549-post50.html and http://club.cdfreaks.com/2221550-post51.html

I’m not sure you can use a Yamaha F1 in USB for your MacBook as i don’t have any Mac’s here but i imagine you can.

Yamaha F1’s either internal or external are very expensive. I don’t believe they make them anymore. Ebay is where i got mine.

Here is some more info on AAMQR and DiscT@2 and Yamaha F1 http://club.cdfreaks.com/f59/yamaha-crw-f1-amqr-disct-2-enabled-burning-software-248016/ not sure what Mac has to offer though.

A couple of years ago discovered I could burn a CD at a slower speed than normal using the CD writing tool built into Windows XP. The slowest speed I could select for that drive & disc combination (Lite-On SOHR-5239V & Ritek CD-R) using Nero was 12x, but XP offered speeds as low as 1x. I selected 4x and it wrote the disc succesfully at that speed.

But as your software already allows you to select 1x I think that 6x will be as low as that drive will go.

Do you really need to burn at 1x speed? Is it a limitation imposed by the software? A good writer (a Samsung SH-S202/203 for example) can write CD-Rs with very low BLER & jitter at 16x, or even as high as 32x.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2222223]A couple of years ago discovered I could burn a CD at a slower speed than normal using the CD writing tool built into Windows XP. The slowest speed I could select for that drive & disc combination (Lite-On SOHR-5239V & Ritek CD-R) using Nero was 12x, but XP offered speeds as low as 1x. I selected 4x and it wrote the disc succesfully at that speed. [/quote]Don’t get tricked by some software that claims to support lower speeds than supported by hard- and firmware combination.

I just tried myself. Used a Benq DW-1650 and a Plasmon CD-R. CD Speed shows a minimum speed of 12x (reported by the firmware). Selecting 1x speed in Windows burning app caused an error message. Ok, then let’s go 4x. After ages of compiling the burn image (or whatever Windows does to prepare the burn), the plain burn time took about 6 minutes (I used my watch for “measurement”).
Doing some math: 700MB data / 360 sec = 1,9 MB/sec. That’s 12x.
Windows burn tool started with “estimated time: 20 min”, which would have been correct for a 4x burn.

So even if a software offers ridiculously low speeds like 1x, this will not override the hard- and firmware limitations. Only exception I can imagine: The application is able to submit custom commands that are specific for a certain drive. But such is unlikely for burning applications which are targeted to end users.

But as your software already allows you to select 1x I think that 6x will be as low as that drive will go.
:iagree:

A good writer (a Samsung SH-S202/203 for example) can write CD-Rs with very low BLER & jitter at 16x, or even as high as 32x.
Exactly. I am btw starting to love my DVR-112 more than my 203B for its CD quality :slight_smile:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2222356]Don’t get tricked by some software that claims to support lower speeds than supported by hard- and firmware combination.[/QUOTE]
:iagree: The actual speed will always be dictated by the drive’s firmware. The Lite-On did manage a real 4x burn (~18 minutes), but the drive firmware must have accepted the software’s instruction for a 4x write speed.

So anyway…

@frankieroseduffy what is your location?

[QUOTE=Ibex;2222861]:iagree: The actual speed will always be dictated by the drive’s firmware. The Lite-On did manage a real 4x burn (~18 minutes), but the drive firmware must have accepted the software’s instruction for a 4x write speed.[/QUOTE]Unbelievable. Just like the Benq 1650, this Liteon supports a minimum speed of 12x for CD-R :confused:
I am too lazy now to go and find my retired SOHR-5239V :wink: