Really unhappy with Windows 8 - any reason not to go back to Windows 7?

vbimport

I’ve had Windows 8.1 for over a month now on my new (non-touch) PC and despite having Modern Mix and Start8 installed, I still would much rather be using Windows 7 - I just absolutely love it and NEVER make use of Metro screen - my PC was also designed for Win 7 & Win 8 (Dell L521X). Plus I get to do a clean install and get rid of all of the Dell bloatware that came on it - not possible without a Windows 8 disc. I don’t want to have to faff around installing things to get it to work like Windows 7. For me, Windows 7 was the best OS ever created by MS and I still have a valid Win 7 product key.

I can also make a note of my Win 8 product key so should Windows 8.2 be a Windows 7 killer I can always upgrade or reinstall but I have a couple of questions…

1. Are there important features lacking in Windows 7? I’m thinking really of security stuff, although I have read that it’s likely that security features in 8 may also be released via MS Update for Windows 7 (I don’t know if this has happened). As someone who got hacked to hell before this is rather important.

2. There’s the option of Dual Booting but would that mean installing all my Program Files twice for each OS? Steam takes up hundreds of GB in downloaded games.

[QUOTE=SG;2717067]

1. Are there important features lacking in Windows 7? I’m thinking really of security stuff, although I have read that it’s likely that security features in 8 may also be released via MS Update for Windows 7 (I don’t know if this has happened). As someone who got hacked to hell before this is rather important.[/quote]There are a few security improvements, as there pretty much always are, that Windows 7 doesn’t have. But given that people are happily sitting with Windows 7, or are overwriting Windows 8 with Windows 7, it’s not going to be a monumental difference.
  1. There’s the option of Dual Booting but would that mean installing all my Program Files twice for each OS? Steam takes up hundreds of GB in downloaded games.

That depends on the program. Since many Windows apps rely on the registry to retain configuration information, you’d end up doing more or less a full install on both sides (just pointing to the same files in a central location). And from that, you can imagine some of the troubles associated…

But if your apps have portable versions (such as versions you could extract to a portable drive), or by default store their information in standalone configuration files, there are probably going to be fewer issues.

Something like Steam would probably be finicky about receiving updates and such, where one side knows it’s been updated, but the other doesn’t.

I’d personally just go to Windows 7 without bothering to dual-boot.

[also, I nudged the thread up to the Windows 8 forum, from the power8 subforum]

OK that’s reassuring - thanks. If I do that is it OK to delete all of the Windows 8 partitions (I think there are 4).

Also, I will happily pay top dollar for the best security out there… G-Data was recommended but the interface is awful and I don’t understand a lot about it; I’d prefer something that can be left to tend to things but apparently G-Data’s autopilot isn’t very good. So - new OS, new software. Can anyone recommend the most secure products(s) out there? I’m talking firewall, anti-virus and anything else (e.g anti-spyware - I believe that Spybot is the best, or am I wrong?).

I would leave the recovery partition alone. It usually doesn’t take up much space and it will allow you to reinstall the original Windows 8 OS which might be good if you ever sell the laptop etc.

Thanks, but what I mean is would it adversely affect the PC? Is there non-specifically Windows 8 stuff on there like drivers or info for the TPM or whatever… or is there a way of finding out in Windows 8?

As for reinstallation, in the future I plan to get a disc if I reinstall, or I can upgrade and use my product key. Plus I’m not sure which partitions to delete - as there are 3 more besides the main one. :s

My guess is that your laptop has three partitions. One large one, one of 350 MBs and one that has 5-20 GBs. The large one and the 350 MB one can be deleted. I would save the one that is in the middle as it likely contains the restore files. It doesn’t take up much space and will have no impact on how Windows 7 runs.

Also, if you keep that partition you won’t need to use a product key. It will install without it.

[QUOTE=SG;2717067]I’ve had Windows 8.1 for over a month now on my new (non-touch) PC and despite having Modern Mix and Start8 installed, I still would much rather be using Windows 7 - I just absolutely love it and NEVER make use of Metro screen - my PC was also designed for Win 7 & Win 8 (Dell L521X). Plus I get to do a clean install and get rid of all of the Dell bloatware that came on it - not possible without a Windows 8 disc. I don’t want to have to faff around installing things to get it to work like Windows 7. For me, Windows 7 was the best OS ever created by MS and I still have a valid Win 7 product key.[/QUOTE]

You find any disagreement from me here on this issue. I have Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 and it’s vast improvements over Vista and XP especially multi users accounts on one computer to protect the Admin accounts. Also here a link from another forum that you can download the ISO Windows 7 and burn later and clean of any bloatware all you need is your key from Windows 7 and your good to go.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604187-legal-download-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html

[QUOTE=SG;2717067]I can also make a note of my Win 8 product key so should Windows 8.2 be a Windows 7 killer I can always upgrade or reinstall but I have a couple of questions…[/QUOTE]

That would be a safe thing to do. I doubt W8 is going to remove W7 from the Top Dog considering how fast it got adopted in shorter time frame then W8 was.

[QUOTE=SG;2717067]1) Are there important features lacking in Windows 7? I’m thinking really of security stuff, although I have read that it’s likely that security features in 8 may also be released via MS Update for Windows 7 (I don’t know if this has happened). As someone who got hacked to hell before this is rather important.[/QUOTE]

No security is flawless and only good as the user that uses the computer. I do recommend having MSE since that will integrate with your O/S and change your windows update to Auto update should one forget to turn it on.

[QUOTE=SG;2717067]2) There’s the option of Dual Booting but would that mean installing all my Program Files twice for each OS? Steam takes up hundreds of GB in downloaded games.[/QUOTE]

Dual boot is good for testing purpose but for every uses it waste more then it would benefit you. Unless your a software developer testing what work and breaks when installed on different O/S.

[QUOTE=Albert;2717069]There are a few security improvements, as there pretty much always are, that Windows 7 doesn’t have. But given that people are happily sitting with Windows 7, or are overwriting Windows 8 with Windows 7, it’s not going to be a monumental difference.[/QUOTE][QUOTE=coolcolors;2717128]No security is flawless and only good as the user that uses the computer. I do recommend having MSE since that will integrate with your O/S and change your windows update to Auto update should one forget to turn it on.[/QUOTE]I was thinking of certain features like ‘Secure Boot’ for example, and whatever new features are out there as opposed to just tweaked settings. Although I don’t even know what Secure Boot is!

As for MSE, I’m aware that it’s good but I want the VERY BEST security out there, and am happy to pay. Also not a fan of Windows 7 firewall, I want something more comprehensive.

[QUOTE=Albert;2717069]Also, I nudged the thread up to the Windows 8 forum, from the power8 subforum[/QUOTE]Oops thanks - was browsing it and forgot I was in a sub-form!

[QUOTE=UTR;2717125]My guess is that your laptop has three partitions. One large one, one of 350 MBs and one that has 5-20 GBs. The large one and the 350 MB one can be deleted. I would save the one that is in the middle as it likely contains the restore files. It doesn’t take up much space and will have no impact on how Windows 7 runs.

Also, if you keep that partition you won’t need to use a product key. It will install without it.[/QUOTE]OK, thanks - is there a way to view the contents of the partitions?

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2717128]Also here a link from another forum that you can download the ISO Windows 7 and burn later and clean of any bloatware all you need is your key from Windows 7 and your good to go.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/604187-legal-download-digitalriver-windows-7-sp1-13-languages.html[/QUOTE]Thanks, yeah I knew about the official downloads.

BUMP.