Really stupid quick question

Hi CDFreaks members :slight_smile: This might be a really silly question but I don’t get how program A can rip better WAV files from a CD than program B can. To my knowledge the songs on an audio CD are stored in the WAV format and when you extract to a WAV file on the computer it’ll be 100% the same as the audio file on the CD (ie. No compression, just every bit copied and stored in a file)? So how can program A produce better quality WAVS than program B? Is it to do with how scratched a disk is, so if a disk is in excellent nick program A+B rip at exactly the same quality but if the CD is scratched Program A produces less erros in the WAV than program B? If so how can it? I’m using EAC to extract audio from a pretty scratched disk and after it’s ripped to WAV it tells me about the track quality. If the track quality is reported as “99.9%” does that mean that a section of the WAV cannot be extracted so it’s been replaced with a blank section? I like to think all my tracks are 1:1 to the tracks on my CDs (bar the compression to AAC)

If you are ripping digitally with no compression, they should be virtually identical, I believe. Provided there are no errors during the ripping process (if they pass the CRC check).

Some programs retry over and over again if errors are encountered until they are able to finally get a good read or they fail utterly, in which case it should notify you.

Sometimes I can rip a disk with one of my drives (say my lite-on) that will not rip as well in another drive (say my benq, just as an example). But generally, all my drives perform ok, so that seldom happens.

What do you mean by virtually identical? What confuses me about EAC is it’s ripping a track for me (from a scratched CD) and it’s saying:
Track 15:
Peak Level: 98.5%
Track Quality: 99.9%
Copy Ok - How is it OK 0.1% of the WAV is gone?
no errors occured - Yes? If the track quality is only 99.9% than an error occured when reading 0.1% of the track?

And I thought you could only rip digitally from CDs? I use iTunes to rip my CDs to AAC, is that digital?

There is Digital in HARDWARE and Digital in SOFTWARE.

You can rip from a CD via hardware at the Analog level if you wish, then convert that to a digital file on your computer, for instance.

Or, you can extract Digitally instead, then save that to a digital file without conversion.

So ripping digitally is when the files are ripped directly from the disc to a WAV or compressed format (MP3, AAC, OGG) and ripping a CD analog involves copying the signal after it’s been converted to be output to speakers? For example, copying the signal leaving the headphone jack? Why would people rip CDs analog? Because of copy protection?

I think I’m starting to get what EAC is telling me. The track quality means that 99.9% of the data on the CD wAS read without a problem, 99.9% was read first time and was correct. However 0.1% of the data was read and was false, so EAC read that piece of data again until a common data value occurs (secure mode?). For example:
1st read: X1001001 (Was read incorrectly)
2nd read: X1001101 (Read correctly)
3rd read: X1001101 (Read correctly)
4th read: X1001101 (read correctly)
5th read: X1001101 (Read correctly)
Therefore the data of the scratched area must be X1001101 as 4/5 times that was the data value read?

Seems ok, based on what you are posting.

As fast as drives are today, read errors seem somewhat understandable. The key is that it re-read it over and over until it got it right. :slight_smile:

Thanks for tolerating me, and thanks for the help :slight_smile:

No sweat man - most of us like to help those who show a bit of initiative. We were all n00bs once, after all.

Another quick question ^^ I’ve been re-ripping my scratched discs with EAC to make sure the tracks are 100% but I’ve just thought is it compressing the WAVS at all? The wav format I’m using is: Microsoft IMA ADPCM Codec. All I’m doing is inserting the CD, loading EAC and exporting as WAV by clicking the button on the left (The CD with an arrow going to a hard drive) I’m them importing into iTunes and converting to AAC. I’m not losing any quality compared to a direct rip from CD to AAC?

The WAV compression should be lossless. FLAC should be lossless.

I prefer to rip to 192 kbps MP3 via Lame with Audio Grabber, or 160 kbps with Music Match 7.5, which uses Fast Fraunhoffer.

The trade-off in size vs quality seems fine to me. Lossless just eats up too much space for me.

I use AAC :slight_smile: So the WAV file I’m exporting from EAC is lossless then? No quality loss then compared to direct rip of CD to AAC (Vs Rip to WAV from EAC to AAC in iTunes)