Really stupid question? re processor

I have an old desktop style pc which takes up too much space - can just turn it on its side and stick it on a tower stand?

Will this cause any problems?

Is this a really stupid question?

Your usual good help will be appreciated fellas!!!

Holly

as long as its vertical and firmly in place… i dont see a problem. Do post a picture of this as soon as you get it done. :bigsmile:

First of all this is not a stupid or dumb question. The stupid or dumb ones are the ones that are never asked.

There should’nt be any side effects (pardon the pun) if you sit the desktop on its side, however you might have a little bit of difficulty putting the cd’s in the tray at first(if it has cd-rom drive in it). But that is easily mastered.

But other than that, there shouldnt be anything that might go wrong that I could think of.

I bow to your superior knowledge !!!

Thanks mate

Holly

will i get to see the picture… :cool:

Cloak you are a gent! Thanks

mmmm now then Vishta I hope you are referring to the CPU in its lovely new stand???

If so - and you really wish to see it (?) then I’ll do my very best - promise.

As to your question, cloakdoa is right. The only problem you could encounter is putting your CDs in the CD-ROM player and perhaps the CD-ROM player making a bit more noise than you are used to, but this is abslutely nothing to worry about.

Originally posted by cloakdoa
First of all this is not a stupid or dumb question. The stupid or dumb ones are the ones that are never asked.

On this I do not totally agree…I can point you to a lot of stupid questions asked on this forum. But the stupidness is not so much the contents of the question, but more the fact that it has been asked so many times that those who asked it again, should have looked a bit further than the first 5 topics of the forum and they would have had the answer already…

But I will leave it at that, before I start my 10-page rant on newbies who don’t use our search :wink:

Erm I’m not sure if I’ve been told off??? Does the newbie thing refer to me?

Sorry - Having actually TRIED the search function now I see that its not a popular question.

Hope you took no offence taxman ( You know women and hormones etc etc I won’t go on)

Thanks for taking the time out to help me you guys.

Originally posted by Boothenangel
Erm I’m not sure if I’ve been told off??? Does the newbie thing refer to me?

Nope, it wasn’t directed to you in any way…
If it was, you would definately have known :bigsmile:

shame on you TAX.
scared some poor woman into repenting.

:wink:

Originally posted by cloakdoa
There should’nt be any side effects (pardon the pun) if you sit the desktop on its side, however you might have a little bit of difficulty putting the cd’s in the tray at first(if it has cd-rom drive in it). But that is easily mastered.

Interesting side note. . . maybe. . .

One of my older systems came with a 32x CD drive that had 2 little plastic tabs at the front of the tray, that swung on pivots so you could secure the CD in the tray. I always wondered what they were there for. If you were gonna flip the case 90 degrees, their purpose makes sense.

Quite a few Readers have them, especially OEM ones… IBM and Dell are famous for it.

The Dell(Lite-On)DVD LTD-163 has an even smaller version of these tabs that actually work pretty good.

I had forgotten about those tabs. Those are for holding the cd in, so if you put on its side, see if it has tabs.

yes Tax there are some stupid questions out there, but people do feel dumb for not asking. such as if you go to a Microslof Techincal Seminar and not ask about how a primry domain controller might have problems with an active directory server. I agree with you the search is for everybody to use.

I just did a search for desktops on sides and the stuff that came was in Dutch I think, and I dont speak Dutch.

The PS2 has those tabs on it as you can use that either way up - that was what gave me the idea in the first place guys.

By the way Cloakdoa - you lost me on the microsoft one mate!! (perhaps intentional I don’t know)

Cheers

Holly

the new dells that have dvd drives don’t come with the liteon anymore. It comes with 16x nec 8500 i think. I know its an NEC.

My Plex1210a has some sort of tabs on one side. Anyone know what they are for?

Bootheangel
The PS2 has those tabs on it as you can use that either way up - that was what gave me the idea in the first place guys.

By the way Cloakdoa - you lost me on the microsoft one mate!! (perhaps intentional I don’t know)

Cheers

Holly

Wasnt intentional at all. I was saying I felt stupid because I didnt ask a question about a primary domain controller server being able to link with a active directory server.