Really strange problem

hi
i have a liteon 411s with the fsof firmware

i am running a window xp system with amd athlon xp 1800+ and a kt333 mobo (epox 8k3a+)
i have been burning cds and dvds for a while with no problems…

now i having an insane problem with my dvdrs (blank ones)

none of them seem to read in the drive… the green light just keeps flashing for a while and then nothing happens

it still reads cdrs, dvdrws and burned dvdrs that i made and everything else fine

i tried two different types of media and went through a whole spindle… yet it still reads dvdrws and cdrs and stuff… i dont get it…

should i upgrade my firmware?

thanks for the help

im at a complete loss and getting pissed off…

Tried everything found at this guide?

try this thread also fix liteon 411s problems

i tried everything so far cept upgrading the firmware and i guess ill double check my ide wires

grrrr

i also added a hard drive to my onboard raid, but i am not using it as a raid, just an extra ide controller… hmmmm

i dont think that would cause problems though

upgraded the firmware to fsoj and double checked the ide cables

no luck!

Try the drive in another PC to see if it’s software or harware related.

Originally posted by Ssseth
Try the drive in another PC to see if it’s software or harware related.

that will take alittle while to try , i dont have any other pcs around here

i tried putting a blank dvd in my other drive which is just a regualr dvd drive and it just keeps trying to read it as well, but maybe thats cause it doesnt know what to do with blanks

i dont think so though, if i remeber correctly , i could use nero disc info to read information about the blank on it, not sure though

any ideas?

Originally posted by spacemanspiff
[B]that will take alittle while to try , i dont have any other pcs around here

i tried putting a blank dvd in my other drive which is just a regualr dvd drive and it just keeps trying to read it as well, but maybe thats cause it doesnt know what to do with blanks

i dont think so though, if i remeber correctly , i could use nero disc info to read information about the blank on it, not sure though

any ideas? [/B]

Probably consider turning off Autolaunch in windows.
Turn off packet writing software.
Try turning off any DVD products which autolaunch DVD’s, Ie: PowerDVD / Windvd.

Obviously something is trying to access files from the inserted DVD, and is having issues because it is actually blank.

Nero info should work because when NERO is loaded, it turns off autolaunch in windows (turns back on when you exit nero) and usually blocks access to the drive while nero is accessing it.

i turned off all the autoplay stuff and uninstalled all my dvd programs and then reinstalled nero

then i erased a dvdrw(which worked) then tried to burn a dvd on it and it gave me a write error…

hmmmm goddamnit

[B]i turned off all the autoplay stuff and uninstalled all my dvd programs and then reinstalled nero

then i erased a dvdrw(which worked) then tried to burn a dvd on it and it gave me a write error…

hmmmm goddamnit [/B]

Lol, lifes a bitch ain’t it?

Still pondering. Don’t worry, we haven’t given up on you :slight_smile:

Incidentally,what was the write error?

Sense key A$xxxx? (Usually high CPU load/unknown media = tracking error)

Buffer underrun? (Not technically possible unless the machine stops responding, or has serious IDE issues)

Unknown write error? :confused:

Are you using Via IDE Drivers? :expressionless:
Via chipsets (or actually just the IDE) were known for causing issues while flashing awhile ago. It’s possible that Via’s IDE drivers a problem. Try using MS.

Also check the aspi layer.

I found that 1018 or 1013 was the most stable.
1021 was terrible, and 1008 caused all sorts of cool blue screens of death :slight_smile: Or pink actually as I had been playing with the colours :slight_smile:

In theory you shouldn’t require to use it anymore as windows uses it’s own methods, as well as nero which has it’s own Aspi layer, as do most CDRW/DVDRW apps, but it can still wreak havoc on the unsuspecting.

Look for aspichk and forceaspi.

It’s been mentioned so many times on this forum, i’m sure you’ll find about 100 references to it :slight_smile:

If ya can find it, try http://www.filemirrors.com

the aspi layer for the system is 1021

nero uses its own aspi though so thats weird

i dont understand what i did though i burned alot of cds with this drive, either i changed some kind of setting recently or the drive is screwed… the only thing i can think of that i changed recently was i added a new hard drive on my on board raid (which i just use as extra ide slots)… i havent added anything else i dont think, and that shouldnt cause a problem.

also
i am using the VIA ide
how do i change it to the MS one?

i talked to lite on tech support and they think the lens of the dvd drive has gone bad and are going to let me RMA it…

damnit what a pain in the ass

bump

Why are you bumping a topic that should be done with? You are returning the drive so there is no need to continue the troubleshooting.

im still tryin to figure out how change the IDE to MS instead of VIA so maybe i wont have to RMA it

im still tryin to figure out how change the IDE to MS instead of VIA so maybe i wont have to RMA it

Right click on my computer->Properties->

Hardware tab->Device manager (middle -right)

Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Will have intel / Via / nvidia Ultra ATA storage controller (or similar)

Don’t do the primary or secondary channels. They are children of the main.

Right click on the Via /Intel / Nvidia Ultra ATA / IDE controlller and select “Update driver”.

Then select “install from a list or specific location”-> next

Select “Don’t search. i will choose the driver to install” -> next

Select “standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (or similar)” -> next

Reboot machine to take effect.

Okies :slight_smile:
Reboot :slight_smile:

I’m experiencing the same problem with my Lite-On 811s.
I have found that rebooting allows me to burn one CD and then the next blank media is unrecognized. I’ve recently found that logging off and back on again (Windows XP SP2) temporarily resolves this.

This Sounds like a driver or firmware problem to me. I have the current firmware for this drive, and experience the same with a basic generic Windows CD-Rom driver. Therefore a report of no media, would probably have to be attributed to a Firmware problem.

Come on Lite-On get your act together.

Sounds very much like a system problem and not a firmware problem. Problems like that are almost never the result of firmware, and if it is, everyone with the drive would be affected. Remember, firmware operates independently from the rest of your system.

It’s not a liteon specific fault. I do have the same issue with my NEC occasionally.

I’m pretty sure the problem is related to the windows CD Auto-start being turned off.

Try removing the IDE controller & restart the machine.