Really Obscure SH-223C problem

vbimport

Hey, first post - I hope you can help me with this strange problem. Bear with me!

I bought a SH-223C not so long ago and could read all types of CD and DVDs fine. It came to burning a disc and I had problems so I updated the firmware…

Everything went smoothly with the firmware upgrade but since then I can only read DVDs. No CDs will read (apart from 1 RiDisc I burnt Win XP onto with my old drive)

I can’t read pressed audio or data CDs now - discs that read fine when I first got the drive!

There can’t be any mechanical problem because I am still reading that 1 CDR and all DVDs. I find it hard to believe that all the newer firmwares are incompatible with all official CDs I own.

I’ve reinstalled Windows XP (SP3) since and the problem persists. I don’t have any burning/mounting software/copy protection installed.

Long story short, the drive did work and still does work, but any firmware update has made next all CDs unreadable.

Thanks for bearing with me, that was quite hard to explain, I hope it wasn’t too confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance

I

Did you get your firmware from this site ?
http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/
It will be an .exe file.
You then need to “extract” the two files from inside the .exe with Stuffit Expander for Windows.

They will be a .bin file & Tsdnwin.exe (the firmware installer).
You then need to patch the firmware with :
http://club.myce.com/f105/patch-utility-samsung-mtk-based-dvd-writers-v3-4-10-new-242508/
Check the options you want & create the patched .bin file. Install that one.

Cool thanks. I followed the instructions but apparently the 223C is not supported yet. I’m looking for a work-around as we speak but I thought I’d let you know anyway in-case anyone knows a work around. I am googling… :slight_smile:

Sorry it didn’t work.
I noticed there were several firmwares for the SH-223C at
http://www.samsungodd.com/eng/
Under Firmare Check F/W virsion get the Win Inquiry tool.
Also in the Firmware Downloads Product pulldown select DVD-Writer Half Height
That should tell you what version you now have.
I’m sure there is a difference between the SB06 & ID02 as well as the others that are similar.
I’m not sure which your original was or how to chech it now.
Maybe Samsung can tell you if you e-mail them the serial number or can talk to an online tech.

QUOTE=cholla;2570577
It will be an .exe file.
You then need to “extract” the two files from inside the .exe with Stuffit Expander for Windows.[/quote]7-zip works nicely, and it’s free :slight_smile:

You then need to patch the firmware with :
http://club.myce.com/f105/patch-utility-samsung-mtk-based-dvd-writers-v3-4-10-new-242508/
Check the options you want & create the patched .bin file. Install that one.
The 223C is not patchable.
Apart from that, I doubt the problem would be solved by such an action. A drive must work with stock firmware, otherwise it can be considered defective.

@Kurushi,
You might try if reverting to an older firmware revision fixes the problem. If you want to know the version of your original firmware, you need to pull the drive and look onto the sticker.

Michael

@ mciahel , I was using an older version of 7-Zip & it wouldn’t extraxt this .exe file.
I updated & it worked fine.
Stuffit Expander for Windows is also free.

[QUOTE=cholla;2570623]@ mciahel , I was using an older version of 7-Zip & it wouldn’t extraxt this .exe file.[/quote]This must have been an ancient version - or a br0ken beta :smiley:

Stuffit Expander for Windows is also free.
This is good information, especially for Mac users. Now they should be able to flash most newer TSST drives.

Michael

Thank you all for your quick replies, it really makes a difference.

It puts my mind at rest it should work without the patched firmware - at least I know I’m not missing out and jumping through all kinds of hoops getting the patched firmware working.

Thanks for the sticker info, apparently it came with SB02 but I have installed this version several times with no luck.

What worries me is Samsung might not see the drive as faulty because it’s nearly fully working! I suppose my next test is to try it in another computer.

I’d be surprised if it were software related but I’m also pretty sure it’s not hardware either due to that one disc I can read. The only other thing I can think of is this version of windows is quite heavily stripped with nlite but like my original post says, I can read that one CDR - do any windows components come to mind that may be causing this?

If all fails I’ll give their tech support a try but I need to be sure first.

Thanks again

EDIT: BTW I used WinRar first time to extract no probs

Hi,

perhaps I missed that - do you have some bootable CDs at hand? Please try them to boot your computer. If these work, then check if they can be read in your Windows environment.

Michael

The only CD that boots on restart is the backup disc that I can read in Windows. A legit Windows disc that won’t boot can’t be read in Windows either. I tried another windows backup but that doesn’t want to boot either. I will keep trying different original discs to see if I can get any life out of them. Thanks

I suspect there is something wrong with the lens. Best option would be to have the drive replaced under warranty. If this is not possible, then you might try if cleaning the lens does help.

Michael

I’d be really surprised if it was the lens because it was the firmware that caused all this. Maybe it was just a bad coincidence.

Thanks for your help, I will get in touch with Samsung.